It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lip balm addiction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Sorry if this is the wrong board to post in- I wasn't sure where to put it. I am 'addicted' to Vaseline. I have to have a tub with me at all times and if I go without it for even a few days my lips and the surrounding skin get extremely chapped. It's sort of a running joke with my friends and as a laugh we decided to see if there we any websites about Vaseline/Lip balm addiction. We found one.

www.kevdo.com...

This website claims that companies are putting addictive chemicals in lip balm to make people addicted and that most don't help cure chapped lips at all. However I just use Vaseline which is just petroleum jelly so I highly doubt there's anything addictive in it. Plus I think the reason I'm addicted is psychological, whenever I go without Vaseline I think my lips are dry because I'm used to the feeling of Vaseline on them. So to counter that I lick them to get more moisture on them which makes them chapped.

But I am curious if there is anybody out there who believes it is possible to become addicted to lip balm because it's some conspiracy. Or if anyone has solid proof to debunk this strange theory. Stranger things have happened I suppose, but perhaps I'm living proof of this 'condition'.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it's probably a hoax but still pretty weird stuff....

[edit on 7-4-2007 by JekyllHyde]

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
You might do a search on this, I read a thread on the subject and thought it was a joke, but someone else posted and confirmed the problem in their own life.

I don't understand it myself, but apparantly it happens.

I knew a girl who was addicted to talcum powder, she ate a container of it every day.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit to add link to other thread.

[edit on 7-4-2007 by interestedalways]

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the link. I suppose you get get addicted to anything if you do it enough... Quite scary really- but I don't particularly want to break the habit either...

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think that your lips put out some natural oils to keep lips from chapping and when we use chap stick or vasaline your natural ducks dont have to do it so after time they shut right down and NO longer do it................so then your addicted.
I have this same issue but I use chap stick. I used to be a carmex user but I switched.

Oprah WInfrey talked about this on her show once when she had mom's on who had little girls who wanted makeup at way to young an age........the mom's gave the little girls chap stick as pretend lipstick. Oprah said that was a bad idea because your natural lip oils shut right down after not having to work over a period of time..............made sense to me.

"Hello..................
My name is TRG and I am addicted to chap stick".

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I will have to look into this ducting oils thing. My lips in the decades I have been on this world have not been exposed to any man made lip grease. I have always just put up with split and chapped lips, just thought it was normal. Then my ex bird introduced me to chapstick, joy.

Depending on the environmental conditions I do apply it regularly, as I write this am thinking my lips are dry, better put some on. Oh no I'm an addict!!

Still at least I only got one air of lips to split and chap

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

"Hello..................
My name is TRG and I am addicted to chap stick".

Thanks for making my day!!!!

Seriously, i wouldnt doubt anything anymore. What better way to get the consumer to consume more and more than by putting something on the ingredient we couldnt live without?????

Gawd help us all.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have noticed that when I use carmex my lips get more chapped in between uses. I haven't looked at carmex's ingredients lately but it has camphor in it. I think it is for the smell or the numbing effect it has on the lips but I think that it also makes your lips dry out easier. This is why, IMO, the more you use carmex the more you have to use carmex. That is why I switched to burt bee's lip balm, all natural and makes my lips nice!

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I wonder if Burt Bee's Lip Balm is the culprit for all the

bees dissapearing???? I imagine with all the bees gone his product will be
discontinued?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooler1
I have noticed that when I use carmex my lips get more chapped in between uses.

OMG....Carmex....that was my poison
20 years I was addicted to that stuff! I quit smoking two months ago, and along with losing my addiction for nicotine, I too stopped my obsession for carmex and coffee! I think it was a Nicotine Conspiracy against me

I still like my coffee, but I'm satisfied with two cups in the morning now instead of 2 or 3 pots a day

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Maybe we should start a club or something... I tried using bees wax somethingorother but it was too dry for me. I can't even use normal lip balm it HAS to be a tub of pure Vaseline and nothing else....

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I didn't know that they put addictive materials so that you would buy there product. I know that your lips can get addicted to it, but I didn't know that they put it in there on purpose.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
First of all, whoever stated that your moisture producing ducts will ikely shut down is somewhat correct. They can shut down from PROLONGED use, but more than likely become plugged up due to the lip blam itself. After two or three days they should clear and re-open.

What is most likely causing an addiction to lip balm is the fact that Camphor, menthol and phenol are causing the problems. Camphor and Menthol give you that "Cool and tingly" feeling that lip balm users have come to love and adore, but they also dry out your lips. Phenol is designed to be a bacteriostat but is far too potent to be applied to your lips regularly and will also dry out your lips.

Remember folks, lips are MEMBRANES, not skin and are much more sensitive to the environment that say the skin on the back of your hands.

If you have a lip balm "Addicition" and want to quit, stop using your lip balm, DO NOT lick your lips and you will be fine in 2 to 3 days.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am addicted to Blistex. Horrors...didn't realize I was! I have one by computer, in my purse and in the car. My goodness, and I thought my only addictions were cigs and coffee!!

If you find anything I am hoping you will post it and explain why, if I don't use this several times a day, my lips always feel dry.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I did find something and I did post it
Depending on which type of Blistex you are using, you are likely a.) blocking your natural moisture producing ducts via the base wax or petroleum product that is "Sealing" your lips, b.) drying them out due to the application of Camphor or Menthol contained in many lip treatments - they give you that cool tingly feeling by increasing the evaporation of moisture from your lips, c.) Phenol is burning your lip membranes as it is a bacteriostat that is designed to kill bacteria and is too strong from daily use on such a sensitive membrane or d.) some combination mentioned above.

Stop using it for a few days, avoid licking your lips constantly during that time and allow your ducts to open back up and everything will be normal.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I know that I'm not addicted to lip balm, but what are you supposed to do if you play the trombone. You have to lick you lips?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
First of all, whoever stated that your moisture producing ducts will ikely shut down is somewhat correct. They can shut down from PROLONGED use

What EXACTLY is the time frame for this prolonged use? I mean I am 30 years plus with using daily lip moisturisers, so am I screwed now?
I have gone without for over ten days at a time..... when I forgot to pack it on a river trip, and my poor poor cracked and bleeding lips were so happy to be given a splash of ANYTHING once I got back to civilazation..........it did not seem like they were 'doing it' for themselves after just a few days.........nope.
I used to be a river guide in my 20's a GoBazillion years ago and sometimes the all important lip balm would be overlooked.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31

Originally posted by scooler1
I have noticed that when I use carmex my lips get more chapped in between uses.

OMG....Carmex....that was my poison
20 years I was addicted to that stuff! I quit smoking two months ago, and along with losing my addiction for nicotine, I too stopped my obsession for carmex and coffee! I think it was a Nicotine Conspiracy against me

I still like my coffee, but I'm satisfied with two cups in the morning now instead of 2 or 3 pots a day
So what is Carmex? I'm looking for a new addiction
Really, i dont know what it is.....Is it that lip balm in the little tin can?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Oh you mean Carmex? I think that's a rip off for a case of carmex
but I can't remember exactly what I paid for a jar last time...thought it was $1.09 Could have been a buck 89 in which case...that would be a good price
Man that has me bothered now

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I think that your lips put out some natural oils to keep lips from chapping and when we use chap stick or vasaline your natural ducks dont have to do it so after time they shut right down and NO longer do it................so then your addicted.

That's correct. People don't realize that vasiline does the opposite from moisterizing. It's all about marketing and that's what makes it sell the most.

Like WD-40. It is sold as a lubercant, but it's actually a solvent. If you use it to lubercate something you will be making it worse in the longrun.

You would be better off with using it to clean the tar or paint of your hands.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I have a lip gloss addiction.. But it is not the petrol wax type. This gloss is made from castor oil and lanolin.
It does have coloring and scent added to it.. I prefer the cherry scented one to all the kinds they have, but I would be just as happy with it is it had no color or scent.
I don't use it for coloring, or anything, I just like the way it makes my lips feel, but I have noticed that if I don't use it, in a couple days my lips do get dry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join