It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polarization in American Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Something that's been on my mind for a while is what appears to be the increasing level of extreme polarization of thought in the US.

It seems to be the trend that opinions and perceptions are moving towards the extreme, with nothing left in the middle.

So, people either totally trust the police and never criticize anything they ever do, or they hate the police and never see that they ever do good.

We either accept everything our government employees say, with no critical thought, or we think every word out of their mouths is a lie.

We fully support every action taken by our government on any issue, or we actively work to oppose everything they do.

This manifests in ways such as:

Any criticism of any action taken by the current administration is immediately attacked as "hating America".
Any support of any such action is itself attacked as "neo-conservative war-mongering".

Any criticism of the actions of the government of Israel are attacked as "Anti-Semetic".
Any support of actions by that government are attacked as "Zionism".

Any disagreement in matters of race is attacked as racism.

You either drive a 60mpg Hybrid or a 6mpg SUV. And viciously defend your right to do so in each case.

And so on... I could put up examples all day.

I even see this trend in the research I have done... there seems to be two vehement camps:

America is becoming polarized

America is NOT becoming polarized

Note: The Hoover site is undergoing maintanence and I had trouble actually linking to Fiorina's book.

So, it appears to me that this country is drifting, or perhaps rushing headlong, towards a state where no significant discussion can take place. We merely have the two extreme sides screaming at each other, often about trivialities.

So am I imagining this?

Is this really happening, or is it perhaps that it is the normal small percentage of extremists on either side of issues, and they are the loud ones?

If I saw this only in one or two areas of US culture these days I would tend to say it is the latter... but this trend seems to be extending to many many areas of the society.

What do you all think?

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well it does seem that the country is polarizing, I feel that really it isn’t. It’s more that the two extremes are usually the loudest trying to get every one to “get on their side” and the only way that most extremists can think of doing it is vary loudly.

Most people are in the middle and only want to live their lives not caring about either end of the political spectrum. The fact that most people don’t car only adds fuel to the fire. When you hold a believe that you feel is vary important to your country or the world, and you perceive it to be under attack you defend that believe to the death like it was your own child.

Part of the problem is how we frame our question on political quandaries,
Are you pro gay marriage or antigay marriage? Some are pro some against. Most people I’ve spoken to don’t really care either way, it doesn’t affect their lives. As is the same on most issues you could name

One of the issues that you named was SUV Vs. Hybrid, most don’t drive either of these types of cars but one that’s fuel consumption falls somewhere inbetween.

The extremist haven’t polarized America they have only polarized TV and debate forums, while most people like always fall some in between on any given issue.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
Part of the problem is how we frame our question on political quandaries,
Are you pro gay marriage or antigay marriage? Some are pro some against. Most people I’ve spoken to don’t really care either way, it doesn’t affect their lives.

Hmmm, that's a good point... personally, I am Pro-14th amendment, which I guess makes me pro-gay marriage...

The extremist haven’t polarized America they have only polarized TV and debate forums, while most people like always fall some in between on any given issue.

So you think it is more due to things like the fact (I believe, anyway) that we no longer have 'news' programs in this country, we have drama and entertainment programs and 24-hour reality shows? And it is the extremists on either side that bring in the bucks?

You may be onto something there... that would explain why the country appears to be so polarized, but may not really be so at the core...

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   

So, it appears to me that this country is drifting, or perhaps rushing headlong, towards a state where no significant discussion can take place. We merely have the two extreme sides screaming at each other, often about trivialities.

I agree completely.

Under a system of seemingly opposing values and party loyalty, the political pendulum swings back and forth, but the fundamental direction in which our country is moving never varies by more than a degree or two.

In this manner, people are polarized into opposing groups that offset each other and the status quo is maintained.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
So you think it is more due to things like the fact (I believe, anyway) that we no longer have 'news' programs in this country, we have drama and entertainment programs and 24-hour reality shows? And it is the extremists on either side that bring in the bucks?

Unfortunately we no longer have news but infotainment.
Well reasoned debate for the most part is dead in this day and age. Just consider what would most people rather watch, a scholarly exchange about the advantages Vs. disadvantages of abortion to a society, or two people yelling at each other “fascist”, “baby Killer” and other such nonsense at the top of their lungs.
The extremists yelling is far more entertaining so that is what people will watch, since that is what people watch that is what the news will show. Whether or not there is a “right” answer.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
My take on this is this,

The American people are just naturally opinionated, that comes with the freedom we enjoy. Those opinions are now being shared at incredible speeds and to more places around the globe than ever before; due to the explosion of the communications age we are now in.

So I don't see it so much as polarization as a more prolific expansion of all of our opinions.

I am now able to express my opinions on so many different venues it is amazing and mind boggling. Growing up, it was the newspaper and the 3 TV channels we got on the farm. I knew what Farmer Jones' opinion was, maybe Mrs. Smith at the store and that was about it. Now I know all of your opinions and thoughts on any subject and use these to form my own.

Just an extension of the sharing of thoughts and ideas...

IMHO

Semper

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The exchange between Rep. Paul and Giuliani at the most recent Republican presidential candidate debate provides an example of the kind of polarization of thought that concerns me.

Of course, these are political animals, which makes them highly suspect, and I'll stipulate at the outset that they may not be, and in fact probably are not, truly representative of real people...

But Paul mentioned that the US can stand to take a look at our foreign policy over he said the last 10 years, I say the last 60 or so, as a factor in why we have the terrorism problem now.

And Giuliani immediately tried to frame that as Paul "blaming America" for the 9/11 attack. With a depressing array of talking heads lining up to agree.

And that is the polarization I mean. A sizable portion of the US population will not even entertain the thought that perhaps our own actions over a significant length of time have contributed to the problems we face now. Any suggestion in that regard is immediately cast as "blaming America first", or "hating America" or some such.

Too many people don't even take the time to think about the question, and then agree or disagree, based on at least a semblance of rational thought. No, they immediately jump onto the bandwagon of claiming that anybody that dares say such a thing "hates America".

It is this kind of un-thinking, inflexible polarization that I believe is causing a great deal of harm to this country.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
My thoughts on this...

While there is polarization to both extremes of any topic, my thoughts are that most Americans are neither one nor the other. The noisy lots on both ends are one or the other and no opinion contrary is allowed. It's been my experiance that polarization on any issue is politically driven, it's what gets you noticed...

In real life, most people practice a much less polarized view. MHO. In most issues people come squarely down in the middle, and take it case by case. Some may have blind spots when certain issues come up, but most are not polarized to any great extreme. That's why people like Fred Phelps are so marginalized. Noisey as Hell, but with little support outside of his own little world.

Just my take on the issue.

top topics

join