It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I watched a video that I think brought up a lot of good points. However, it's extremely redundant & everything he said could've been summed up in about 3 minutes instead of 10, but I suggest you watch through the whole thing to get a full understanding of it.

To all the highly educated Christians out there, please give your most reasonable rationalizations of these questions (I'm going to give mine as well):

1) Why won't god heal amputees?
I personally don't like this question & it gets way more credit than it deserves. Amputees have prayed for miracles & they've received them. Technology has come up with robotic limbs, so people who are even missing two legs can still run and perform in marathons. Come on, even an Atheist could answer that one!
2) Why are there so many starving people in the world?
Yeah. I've been wondering this as well. What did these children deserve to live and die a life of disease, poverty & starvation?
3) Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
Because he wants to show them who's boss? I don't know!
4) Why does the Bible contain so much non-scientific nonsense?
Well back in the old day (the really old day), they didn't have science to explain things, so they just made up fairytales to explain it themselves just like Greek and Roman mythology (which are believed to be purely fiction).
5) Why is God such a big proponent of slavery in the Bible?
Because we're all his brainwashed slaves. Wahaha!
6) Why do bad things happen to good people?
Because there's no prejudice of "good" and "bad" people in the face of misfortune. If a tsunami's coming, it doesn't matter if you're good or bad, you're going to die!

So bad things happen to bad people just the same! What's that got to do with a deity?
7) Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?
There wasn't any evidence of anything supernatural in the Bible.
8) How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
Because he doesn't exist??
9) Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
Gee whiz!
10) Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as Non-Christians?
Because marriage isn't what it used to be. I mean, 1 out of 2 divorces ends in divorce. I'm sure love and divine intervention compelled these marriages to happen.

Those are my silly rationalizations. I'm Atheist (if you couldn't tell) by the way.

Your thoughts?

[edit on 6-4-2007 by Paresthesia]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Paresthesia, have you ever considered that amputees' bodies may not be whole but that there Souls and Spirits are?

Have you ever considered that what we lacked and desired in this Life can be gained in the Afterlife?

Have you considered an Eternal perspective rather than strictly focusing on a narrow, earth-minded view?

Have you considered that God may consider amputees very special humans?

Have you considered that all peoples' lives are considered equivalent with God's perfect justice in Eternity?

Do you not believe that God has bestowed special gifts to amputees that most people do not have?

Please do not condescend to amputees but only show them love and affection.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
have you ever considered that amputees' bodies may not be whole but that there Souls and Spirits are?

i'm pretty sure the amputees still want their limbs back, especially if god suposedly cures things like CANCER

Have you ever considered that what we lacked and desired in this Life can be gained in the Afterlife?

why would you need limbs in the afterlife?

Have you considered an Eternal perspective rather than strictly focusing on a narrow, earth-minded view?

there is no eternal, only the finite

Have you considered that God may consider amputees very special humans?

yeah, special enough to ignore their prayers

Have you considered that all peoples' lives are considered equivalent with God's perfect justice in Eternity?

then why do so many suffer more in this life?

sure they may get perpetual bliss, but do children in third world countries have to starve to death to get there?

Do you not believe that God has bestowed special gifts to amputees that most people do not have?

alright, i know an amputee. he lost half of his forearm in iraq. he's an average joe (actually, his name IS joe) and he really isn't special now. his ability to play the guitar... he lost that with his left hand. his special gift went bye-bye when he became an amputee. what do you have to say about that?

Please do not condescend to amputees but only show them love and affection.

why would i condescend my friend?

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm afraid the emperor is naked as a jaybird, there is no God.

[edit on 7-4-2007 by goose]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Either he doesn't exist, can't heal them, or doesn't care.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Why doesnt god heal amuptees?

Becuase you are flesh and bone.
Where as he is a mental idea

Its not even remotley possible for skin and bone to be created by an idea.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

That's it? You mean to tell me that there are only 3 absolute possibilties? I'm disappointed in the lack of discussion in this thread. Here's one great example for Aethiest to stick it to Christians yet the last 3 replies have done nothing more than say "Ha! There is no God".

I must confess I'm at a loss as to why there seems to be no evidence in the Bible of God/Jesus healing an amputee. Now it would have been interesting if Jesus would have healed John the Baptist after he was beheaded, but I don't recall anything of that nature. The miracles were always in healing something that was injured. Nice topic. I'll have to find some more information on this.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Here is the thing, as someone who does not believe in God, I do not see it as my role in life to rob others of their self imposed illusions. People give their souls to God when they are in need of something or just so controlled by the madness of society and the big lie that they are too blinded by it to see what is so obvious. Basically most choose not to see what a lie God is.

To deny God is to accept that there is no last resort, no one looking over us, caring about us, no Big Daddy in the sky, there is no heaven, no hell, and once someone is dead you will never see them again, no matter what. To deny God is to accept that this is it, it does not get any better or worse and that when we die there is no heaven to go to, no matter how good we were on earth. To deny God is to accept that in our darkest moments we are totally alone.

To deny God and the teachings of the bible means that when we do wrong we are totally responsible, there is no devil pushing us into it, and there is no redemption for our wrongs and no rewards for when we do good. To deny God is to accept that when we don't get what we want; it is not God's infinite wisdom intervening on our behalf.

Many people are just not able to accept the truth and choose to believe the lie because they want to believe, they need to believe there is a God. People clearly choose to believe however they wish even when it comes to this God thing, they all talk about the ten commandments but completely ignore them when it is convenient for them to do so, for instance, Thou shalt not kill, but yet they go to war, send their children to war, vote for and support a President who chooses war over other options and believes in the death penalty.

No where does it say in the ten commandment, but you can change them under these circumstances. The commandments are very clear, but yet these so called religious people rationalize and conform their beliefs to fit what benefits them or what they feel they have to do. Thus they make their God and their own beliefs a joke. One might as well believe that a dishrag is going to save them, that makes more sense than believing in God, at least the dishrag is real.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
some of you repliers can seem so dim.

"he isnt real or else he'd make their arms grow back"

do you think before you make yourself look silly in front of the .. secular congegration here?

think about that statement. if God made people's arms grow back, it wouldn't be a mystery would it. You'd be able to tell, without a doubt, that there was no other way that this man's arms could've grown back entirely and instantly unless, God did it.

it would be paramount to God unveiling itself to all of humanity, destroying the concept of Satan, and making free will of choice non-existant, all at the same time. you dont think theres a balance to this cosmos? The sun is a big b#tch, yet it remains in its place. The moon is only held by a God given law of gravity, due to mass and matter which was created. Check the wisdom. there is so much that even the most intelligent human could never hope of understanding out there. As Carl Sagan says, we are marooned on a small island in the ocean or whatever.

If you lived on an island your whole life, and never met anyone from anywhere except that island, never saw nor heard anything except that island, its inhabitants, and the immediate surrounding waters, excuse my language but, you'd be a damn fool. You'd be a leaf-crotched, naked, stupid, dirty, teeth-falling-out, no-technology-having, no-nothing. You'd be like the tribes in the Amazon that have yet to make contact with the outside world. That is effectively our Human Race, and the Amazon? thats our planet, our island. I think cocky human beings need to realize their place in the scheme of things, when things are so massively mighty in the cosmos, and thats only what you can see or hear? what about what you dont know about, what you cant see, hear, or detect? it doesnt exist because you cant detect it? is that the answer to everything? "they dont have nukes sir OH CRAP! *BOOM DEAD*" mentality?

Well you can go and continue being the blind man but my eyes are open. I know my place and how trivial it is, and I also know that everything that IS had to come from something, at some point, sometime. stuff doesnt just appear outta thin air. a universe doesnt create itself. a big bang needs precursor elements to explode. there has to be a beginning. and yet, God has no beginning. Thats the paradox but its not truly a paradox, we just cant understand that because we our stuck in this time, this mentality. We cant understand that because we have to think everything has to be born at a certain dial on the clock, when the true reality that time isnt what you think it is, its merely a container in which to hold. a bottomless bag of goodies. so therefore God can be because God IS .. and we cant understand that.

Onto these questions..

1) Why won't god heal amputees?
I personally don't like this question & it gets way more credit than it deserves. Amputees have prayed for miracles & they've received them. Technology has come up with robotic limbs, so people who are even missing two legs can still run and perform in marathons. Come on, even an Atheist could answer that one!
2) Why are there so many starving people in the world?
Yeah. I've been wondering this as well. What did these children deserve to live and die a life of disease, poverty & starvation?
3) Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
Because he wants to show them who's boss? I don't know!
Well back in the old day (the really old day), they didn't have science to explain things, so they just made up fairytales to explain it themselves just like Greek and Roman mythology (which are believed to be purely fiction).
Because there's no prejudice of "good" and "bad" people in the face of misfortune. If a tsunami's coming, it doesn't matter if you're good or bad, you're going to die!
So bad things happen to bad people just the same! What's that got to do with a deity?
Gee whiz!
Because marriage isn't what it used to be. I mean, 1 out of 2 divorces ends in divorce. I'm sure love and divine intervention compelled these marriages to happen.

1) Because it would reveal God's omnipotence and existance, thereby destroying free will in man. Man would no longer have the option of believing or not believing, taking a riskful choice, one which require cahoones, because God would be scientifically provable to all. "See, God made my arm appear out of thin air!"

2) Due to a lack of food. God does not interfere in the mundane affairs of man except for when it is part of the ultimate plan. In other words, if you accidently, by chance, want to do something that is in direct contradiction to God's plan, you will fail ultimately. Its kind of like an unseen 'no fly zone'. But everything else is game. And that means God doesnt interfere in anything else, and rarely interferes for the sake of the plan (redemption of the souls of humanity). Children dying from hunger and disease is unfortunate, but so is losing a limb. If God made crops pop out of nowhere, it would have the same effect, see #1. If he did it in a subtle way over time, so could man, and man has been given the aptitude, willpower, and tools to do so, why should God waste it's time planting crops in the dirt when you or I can, and in doing so not reveal God's self?

3) because he knows that their souls will come to him and that death is merely seen as a bad thing to human beings. we are fearful of it, because we have to do it. its the one thing we have no free will over, we MUST DIE. We have not been granted free will over that experience, unlike all others, therefore it must be a serious/important/special experience. those innocent deaths were also usually involved in an integral part of God's plan. God never directly smites with his 'hand'. It is recorded this way but it is recorded ERRONEOUSLY by IMPERFECT HUMANS. As such, they were primitive back then and saw things in certain ways.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Gee whiz!

4) Because the people were primitive, uneducated, and in many cases just dumb. They had their own ways of explaining all things. They thought all diseases were literal demonic posessions. They thought the Earth was FLAT. Do we really need to go on about what "They" thought? Obviously "They" were stupid!! A product of the times, and so are the holy books, products of the people of the times. They need to be read in a manner where you take the old symbolism and translate it into modern symbolism. It's hard.

5) I dont see where God tells people to specifically enslave another people. He may have "set Nebuchadnezzars heart against Israel" but Nebuchadnezzar was the MAN who decided to enslave the population. Before Moses led the Jews from Egypt, Pharaoh, a MAN, had them enslaved. These are the 2 biggest enslavement stories in the old testament. Both of these men were pagan idolaters, not followers of the one God.

6) Thats just life. God cannot directly intervene except for the most ultimately rarest of circumstances (see: master plan bit) and so the world moves like a well oiled machine. People are murdered everyday, stolen from. The world is hellish. Its so dark. But it must be that way so that people can choose light, and do good, not submit to darkness. In other words life is a b#tch and then you die.

7) Because if they were proven with evidence, it would have to be done scientifically, because thats the definition of proving something. If it was proven, it would reveal God and God's omnipotence, thus taking away free will of choice between belief and non. How can you not believe in something that is scientifically proven to exist? you can tell yourself "i refuse to believe that" but its still true.

8) Because he died. His flesh is dead and gone. But his spirit lives. And spirits are not in the physical form like we are. And not all people can see spirits, and not all spirits can be seen. Its all a very wishy washy realm of the unknown. Apparently it takes a great deal of effort to appear like that because it is done so rarely and only for the utmost importance.

9) He doesnt. It was a parable and not meant to be taken literally. It was never a daily ritual, it was done once at the last supper. The Evil Catholic Church of Babylon 666 however took this and made it a daily ritual. They made it perverse by making it seem cannibalistic in its symbolism, instead of just being a parable, and this is done by their devotion to adhering to performing those evil rituals on a regular, ordained basis.

10) Because a person, however faithful, cannot rationally tie themself to a life with a person that they cannot get along with, despire, loathe, hate, dislike, or whatever the case is. Abuse, affair, whatever. God wouldnt want a person to live with that just for the sake of staying 'married'. Thats wholly a human concept inserted into the bible by humans and God's wrath was attached to it.

Damn, that was a finger workout.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

Amen! Nowadays god is so busy that he only allows his son Jesus to appear in grilled cheeses, corn chips, and other tasty snack foods.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by testrat

Amen! Nowadays god is so busy that he only allows his son Jesus to appear in grilled cheeses, corn chips, and other tasty snack foods.

If God suddenly healed all of the amputees from the Iraq war overnight, however ludicrous that it sounds, both Iraqis and Coalition amputees, in his ever giving grace, what would you honestly do?

I'm serious, I really want to know what your reaction would be. What if it happened, and it was all over the news, and the scientists were giving news conferences saying this is a confirmed miracle by God there is no scientific explanation for this. What would your reaction be?

Would you believe that God was real then?

If so, Do you think God would be happy with you?

That you had so little faith in your own creator, who made everything, that you had to witness a scientifically confirmed mass-miracle?

This is strikingly similar to the story in Revelation. The people don't believe, then the 2 witnesses perform actual miracles, some begin believing and others discredit the witnesses, likely because these miracles arent/werent scientifically proven and there was room left for doubt(=choice,=freewill), so some chose with their free will not to believe. Then the really bad disasters start, in the story anyways..

Plus, many people havent experienced God. Many people live sheltered, relatively good peaceful lives, and dont experience extreme hardship, extreme misery, torture though not literally, horrible horrible things. It's only then that a person first reaches out, and actually entertains the notion of God, coming from a non-believing perspective. I used to not believe, I had it all figured out. That which exists was a freak anomaly, there was no actual order in the universe, it was all a freak occurence, and we were just living it. So strange yet so sad. And when we die, we'd be like permanently asleep except without dreams .. non-existant, forever.

And i was okay with that, afterall, science had me thinking that which was, was in and of itself, and that was it.

Then when i passed puberty and passed the teens into the early 20's, i had some really hard, hard sh#t happen to me in my life. Profoundly difficult experiences. and I, myself, with no other telling me to, honestly entertained the notion of God. and thats when I realized how wrong I had been, as the more I thought, and read, the more I understood, as is a mental book of knowledge was opened and I was finally getting at some of the deep contents. Never before would I have thought that I'd be telling you that I am a "Christian" today. 5-6 years ago, I would've laughed at the thought!

So what happens is, as you start to live "proper" or live in accordance to God's word, existing harmoniously with God, subtle changes occur in your life. Nothing outright huge, not anything to call a miracle, but just .. a slow .. steady.. increase in your standard of living, your daily attitude, how happy or depressed you are, your overall outlook on life and your own personal situation, and I could keep going. So it's not God "doing" anything, he was "doing" it all along simply by existing, I had 'blocked' that by not believing, and when I started to believe, I 'accessed' that, or the light shined on me. And over time, my life improved drastically. Thats what when I say I was "saved", I feel it like its literal, saved from a life of ..

[edit on 4/12/2007 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Actually **** God! He does not exist so why would I worry about what he thinks!

Why does everyone who believes in him cut God so much slack? He does not do what you asked and you get reamed, it is God's infinite wisdom to deny you and allow you a good reaming. But yet it says in the bible, ask and you will receive, yeah right. He does not show himself to you he must preserve his mystery, unhuh! You must believe in him on faith alone.

Oh and here is the ultimate, god controls everything, hmmm this must mean he creates all the rules, so he made the rule to have his son crucified so that you could get into heaven. Religion is the ultimate lie and the biggest bunch of BS ever.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by goose]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang

If God suddenly healed all of the amputees from the Iraq war overnight, however ludicrous that it sounds, both Iraqis and Coalition amputees, in his ever giving grace, what would you honestly do?

I'm serious, I really want to know what your reaction would be. What if it happened, and it was all over the news, and the scientists were giving news conferences saying this is a confirmed miracle by God there is no scientific explanation for this. What would your reaction be?

The god that I study in CCD classes for about 9-10 years, was a vengeful god. Not one that forgave. If you were not with him/her, than you against him/her. Mercy was not shown to those that oppose god. This is not who I wish to worship.

To answer the question why does god not heal amputees, maybe in gods eyes they are being punnished and deserve it.

I personal don't believe in god or religon, but I do think god would be happy at me. If you live your life with strong morals, and if you care more for your fellow man than yourself. In the end, does it really matter if you believe in him/her or not. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing god or religon. I think its very important for everyone to believe in something. Because without belief there is no sense of hope.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang

that there is evidence for the existence of A deity

yes, not necessarily the abrahamic god, but a god with the ability to heal a mass number of amputees

well, yes.
why would god question blind belief over thought and skepticism?

That you had so little faith in your own creator, who made everything, that you had to witness a scientifically confirmed mass-miracle?

well, why would god value faith over me being a generally good person for the majority of my life?
honestly, why do people think god values FAITH over everything else?

This is strikingly similar to the story in Revelation. The people don't believe, then the 2 witnesses perform actual miracles, some begin believing and others discredit the witnesses, likely because these miracles arent/werent scientifically proven and there was room left for doubt(=choice,=freewill), so some chose with their free will not to believe. Then the really bad disasters start, in the story anyways..

revelations is an allegory

Plus, many people havent experienced God. Many people live sheltered, relatively good peaceful lives, and dont experience extreme hardship, extreme misery, torture though not literally, horrible horrible things. It's only then that a person first reaches out, and actually entertains the notion of God, coming from a non-believing perspective. I used to not believe, I had it all figured out. That which exists was a freak anomaly, there was no actual order in the universe, it was all a freak occurence, and we were just living it. So strange yet so sad. And when we die, we'd be like permanently asleep except without dreams .. non-existant, forever.

i dont' think i have it "all figured out" that's a strange stereotype atheists get. most of us are quite scientific and admit that we CAN'T have it all figured out
And i was okay with that, afterall, science had me thinking that which was, was in and of itself, and that was it.

So what happens is, as you start to live "proper" or live in accordance to God's word, existing harmoniously with God, subtle changes occur in your life.

according to god's word (i assume you're talking the bible) bearing false witness is a greater offense than rape...
and raping your wife is ok...
and so is selling your daughter to a man so he can take her as a wife...
the list goes on and on.
how about this, i live life in accordance to my personal morality which states "be a nice person, don't screw people over, and don't expect a reward for it"

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
For those that don't believe in God, hopefully someone out there is praying for your souls.

You gotta have faith people! Nobody ever said life was easy.

Peace

[edit on 12-4-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
For those that don't believe in God, hopefully someone out there is praying for your souls.

wouldn't that be a violation of my free will? honestly, as an atheist, i hear that a lot "i'm praying for your soul"
how the hell could god answer that prayer?

You gotta have faith people! Nobody ever said life was easy.

i'm not one of those people that's an atheist because life is hard, i'm an atheist because there is no reason to believe in god.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
well.

the bible / gospel / tanakh / torah / talmud / qu'ran / hadith is a tricky story to read and learn from. it was written by many different men over different time periods, hundreds of years apart some, some before Jesus, some after. some of these men were divinely inspired, but unfortunately.. some of them probably weren't, and were just convinced that they had a special communication line with God, needing to write a testimony of it.

then, it goes through re-write after re-write, by manual manly hands of men, many men, of many languages and cultures. some hate each other to this day over disagreements caused by these re-writes.

then, the sinister man gets ahold of it and says in a moment of evil inspired clarity; 'wow, what a tool of power over men'. so he re-writes it and adds some sh#t that wasn't even there to begin with, and switches the truthful stuff around, changing true orders of events, and the true meaning of the words. these are your early roman christian theologians, and your early dark age catholic papal priests, but to this day others use it to control men in different cultures and languages, like Islam and the Eastern peoples.

by the time we get it, its a sorry piece of dung compared to what it should be and IMO, used to be at one original point in time. so feel free to disregard most everything in there, it doesnt apply, most of the stories are mixed up and/or false. however, the 10 commandments are not hard to remember, or keep written, and its the simple basics like these that we need to concern our daily lives with as followers of God.

the serpent is everywhere, and it is incredibly cunning. right now, the majority of the so-called "believers", or practicioners of monotheistic religions like christianity, judaism, and islam that think they are worshipping God are actually worshipping Satan, and they have no clue. so whos to say which church is good and worshipping God, and which are worshipping evil? anyone. so the deceiver deceives there as well, and bad churchs get promoted while good churchs get bombed or at the least, left to crumble.

some of the main tools of the serpent right now are:
-greed/capitalism/overt individualism
-drugs, drug sales, drug addiction, both street and medical
-churchs, mosques, and synagogues of a particular persuasion.
-islamic jihadism, terrorism as we know it
-misunderstand and lack of knowledge of other people and cultures.
-wars caused by those misundersandings and lack of knowing, paranoid.
-anything that kills you at a very accelerated rate (cigarettes for example)
-sexual deviance, pedophilia, child pr0n
-science

theres more, these are just some. over the millenia, these have changed. for instance, the serpent was deceiving before Islam was ever created. just because something is on that list doesn't mean it is evil, science isnt evil for example. these are just things he acts through, since he doesnt have direct physical in-the-flesh rule on Earth, because he's not aloud to by God. so he's stuck to act in subtle and indirect ways, just like God acts. in this way, he tries to imitate God. God needs Satan to test the souls of men.. and also to create free will and freedom of choice regarding belief.

[edit on 4/13/2007 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
No one has posted the obvious, simple, and correct answer: There is no god.

Does this answer not adequately answer the questions? Yes, it does.

Do any other answers appeal to some kind of anthropomorphic (man-like for the knuckledraggers) authority that discredits itself (as man-made) as quickly as it satisfies Christians? Yes. Man created god in his image.

Columbus

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Columbus
No one has posted the obvious, simple, and correct answer: There is no god.

Does this answer not adequately answer the questions? Yes, it does.

Do any other answers appeal to some kind of anthropomorphic (man-like for the knuckledraggers) authority that discredits itself (as man-made) as quickly as it satisfies Christians? Yes. Man created god in his image.

Columbus

When humans were still nomads where they would go, and what they would eat would depent on nature, and all their beliefs were centered on a female divinity that represented nature, and fertility.

It's funny to notice that when men settled down, invented agriculture , and started to master nature, they created anthropomorphic gods in sign of their own power.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join