It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. protects Iranian opposition group in Iraq (MEK)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

U.S. protects Iranian opposition group in Iraq

edition.cnn.com

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- An Iranian opposition group based in Iraq, despite being considered terrorists by the United States, continues to receive protection from the American military in the face of Iraqi pressure to leave the country.

It's a paradox possible only because the United States considers the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, or MEK, a source of valuable intelligence on Iran.

Iranian officials tied the MEK to an explosion in February at a girls school in Zahedan, Iran. (Full story)

The group also is credited with helping expose Iran's secret nuclear program through spying on Tehran for decades. And the group is considered an ally to America because of its opposition to Tehran.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ABC: Pakistani Tribal Group Encouraged by U.S. to Launch Deadly Raids in Iran

[edit on 2007/4/5 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
ABC reports US support of Jundallah in Pakistan
CNN reports US support of MEK in Iraq?
Sound like an Iranian sandwich?

Oh, BTW, the MEK is on the terrorist list

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm afraid it's a case of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. At least until the binding circumstance (in this case Iran) exists in its current form.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Making The World Safe For Hypocrisy

Terrorists? Poppycock! :shk:

The State Department list of terrorist organizations must have a typo or something.

They're Freedom Fighters™.

They would only be terrorists if they weren't on our side.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What happened to the fiery Pres. Bush speech on We will find the terrorist hunt them down, in caves etc ?

Pssst... there's a terrorist..

"No, that's Ahmed, he's an informant."

"but he is a member of the MEK"

"On Monday - Friday, he punches in as an informant"

"what about weekends?"

"Don't ask, don't tell"

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I guess the U.S administration never learns it's lesson, does it?
Didn't the same thing happen with the Taliban? The U.S funds them in a proxy war against a Soviet Russia, and they (presumably) destroy the World Trade Centre.
Don't worry the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq will be in the news again, though for less savoury reasons...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
A paradox is: two doctors

"An Iranian opposition group based in Iraq, despite being considered terrorists by the United States, continues to receive protection from the American military in the face of Iraqi pressure to leave the country.

It's a paradox possible only because the United States considers the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, or MEK, a source of valuable intelligence on Iran."

This seems to be more of an outright contradiction in ethics.

The majority of the IED's killing American troops in Iraq are ignighted by Sunni insurgents...you know, the side that's supported by our ally...the Saudi government.

Just another 'paradox' I guess...proving once again that all is fair in love & war.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Another proof that they are not against terrorists but only ennemies of ``US globalists interests``... so anyone loving freedom, auto-determination and democracy are ennemies of those bastards in the government.

Your government, and a lot of others in the muslim and occidental world are ennemies of humanity, don't be fooled by the propaganda. We the people are the good side of this ``war on terror``, and the elite is the ennemy. A lot more people need to understand this or we won't survive what's coming next.

If you worship a world government... well, what happens if the world army turn against his own people like it ALWAYS happens when too much power and opportunities is in someone's hands? You're screwed. This is what happens.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
I guess the U.S administration never learns it's lesson, does it?

I am thinking that it is the citizens who never learn it's lesson, We are the one's who put these people in government, aren't we?

But then again, elections are bought these days, just look at the news, all they care about is how much money is raised by each candidate.

Very sad, they count the money like they are counting the votes......

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I came to this thread ready to post a fiery response to the use of "Iranian opposition group" in the heading for this thread when in fact they're bonafide terrorists. Alas, the OP knows the real deal as does every single poster here!

Well that's me all out of things to say, you've got it covered

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out exactly why we have Mujahedeen-e-Khalq
listed as a terrorist group.

The group really should'nt be considered as such, I mean they actually
espouse several western ideals, those being democracy, seperation
of church and state and gender equality as well as minority rights.

The only possible reasons I can think of that they are actually consi-
dered a terrorist group is thusly.

1. They have some Marxist influenced ideologies.
2. They are listed as such by the current government of Iran and Iraq.
3. They have commited violent attacks against the current Iranian
regime.

I don't think #3 is a reason to be considered terrorists either,
considering that the current Iranian government is bad.

new topics

top topics

join