It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Hits Mars Too -- Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Global Warming Hits Mars Too -- Study

newsinfo.inquirer.net

PARIS -- Global warming could be heating Mars four times faster than Earth due to a mutually reinforcing interplay of wind-swept dust and changes in reflected heat from the Sun, according a study released Wednesday.

Scientists have long observed a correlation on Mars between its fluctuating temperatures -- which range from -87 C to - 5 C (-125 F to 23 F) depending on the season and the location -- and the darkening or lightening of swathes of the planet's surface.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Mars aslo warming? And could be four times faster than the Earth does. Studies eyed dirt for the cause.

newsinfo.inquirer.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
could this mean Mars being habital *spelling* within the near future? (500, 1000 years)

[edit on 4-4-2007 by soultorent]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Quick! see whether someone can make a spacesuit large enough to fit Al Gore!

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Another related link on the subject:

National Geographic

apc

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Unfortunately this and the previous studies showing warming on Mars can not be 100% conclusive as much of the data is extrapolated projections and not actually recorded. Also noteworthy is 4 years worth of polar icecap observations is hardly sufficient to call a trend.

However, this data combined with other warming observations on other planets in the solar system, including Pluto (it's a planet damnit!), does point to a system wide change.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Unfortunately this and the previous studies showing warming on Mars can not be 100% conclusive as much of the data is extrapolated projections and not actually recorded. Also noteworthy is 4 years worth of polar icecap observations is hardly sufficient to call a trend.

However, this data combined with other warming observations on other planets in the solar system, including Pluto (it's a planet damnit!), does point to a system wide change.

I totally agree that there is insufficient data to accept Mars warming as fact. I question the validity of most of the extrapolated data I have ever seen in my work. Further study will no doubt increase our understanding of planetary systems, and may just help us with the Earth.

"Abdussamatov's work, however, has not been well received by other climate scientists."

While that's not surprising, often in science one man is right and his peer group is wrong. Time will tell.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Mars is getting closer to the Sun. Could this be the reason Mars is warming up. According to this

Mars' orbit is more elliptical than Earth's, so the difference between perihelion and aphelion is greater. Over the past centuries, Mars' orbit has been getting more and more elongated, carrying the planet even nearer to the sun at perihelion and even farther away at aphelion

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Just a thought

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
good post/ good point styxx. Also Mars' atmosphere is far thinner than earth's and so more radiation from the sun reaches the surface.

To claim that the whole solar system is experincing global warming based on 40 or 50 years worth of data is absurd. We have just a blip's worth of info compared to the amount (and time span) that we have for earth so we can make statements about whether the earth is experincing warming or cooling and whether it is within the normal ranges or not. There is no way that we can say that about the other planets.

The glee that the naysayers display at anything that can possibly prove them right goes a long way in discrediting them. I don't think there is a single supporter of the global warming theory would be happy to be proven right much less gleeful about it. Indeed we wold be happy to be proven wrong. Just hasn't happened yet.

apc

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
To claim that the whole solar system is experincing global warming based on 40 or 50 years worth of data is absurd.

The same can be said about anthropogenic warming.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

To claim that the whole solar system is experincing global warming based on 40 or 50 years worth of data is absurd.

Lol, the hypocrisy never ends.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc

The same can be said about anthropogenic warming.
You'd have a point if we didn't have 650,000 years worth of data to observe.

Everyone should realize that CO2 doesn't cause global warming, it makes it worse.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thank you supercheetah That is a point I have been trying to make on here forever now: its not that we cause global warming but that we add to it and that the amount we add is what is making matters worse. I swear I think I am talking to myself half the time for all the attention that is paid to it. Everybody on both sides would rather get all hysterical and raise their blood pressures.

apc

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
teehee it's so funny!

The conservatives are slowly migrating to "ok... the climate is indeed changing." Ok... except the religious nutjobs.

The liberals are slowly migrating to "ok... we're not causing it but we're helping it."

While I'm sittin here in the middle "We don't know what the hell is goin on!"

Such a good time to be alive!

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah

Everyone should realize that CO2 doesn't cause global warming, it makes it worse.

According to whom?

In the last 150 years CO2 levels have increased by 0.01%, and not all of it nor most of it due to anthropogenic CO2 btw.

There have been times on Earth when CO2 levels were much higher, yet temperatures were similar to today.

You see, by itself CO2 would really warm the Earth, if it was at levels similar to those of Venus, but a small increase of CO2 is not the cause of the present warming, more so when the warming started 260 years before CO2 levels began increasing.

There are several other natural factors which have been occurring since 1845 which cause Climate Changes, such as the Earth's magnetic field weakening since 1845, the Sun's output increasing more during the last 60 years than during the last 8,000 years plus.

The fact tha the solar system is absorbing more charged particles, gases and interstellar dust from the interstellar cloudlet we entered not too long ago and such absorbtion is predicted to increase exponentially until 2012.

The fact that there is current research which shows the Arctic and Antarctic are presently experiencing dramatic warming due to Holocene sea level rise/warming.

The fact that the current solar cycle has also been predicted to be worse than the last ones we have had, and the fact that we are observing Climate Changes not only on Earth but on other planets in the Solar System should tell everyone what is really causing the current Climate Change/Global Warming...and it has nothing to do with anthropogenic CO2...

[edit on 7-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well this is the end of this thread muaddib is here.... let the browbeating begin.

join