It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Vista Hidden Agenda Exposed-

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
i heard that it can install somesort of software to the downloading/burning of copy protected songs. Thats why i havent gotten it.

Yeah!! How dare they come up with some way to protect copyrighted material

What cheek!!! The nerve of these guys!!

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
windows vista....dont make me laught...instead to concentrate on all the important stuff liek perfomance,security and realiability,stability they only care about copy protection,warez protection give me a break...
if every computer user hase to buy ALL that is on his computer then were broke...
so everyone that has photoshop has payed the milions to have it?i dont even talk about it...
i only have to say two words about copy protection ideas and the forum rules dont allow it

what cant we listen to mp3's no more?we should by a whole disk for one song?
copyprotect my undees

[edit on 5/4/07 by Unisol]

[edit on 5/4/07 by Unisol]

Dae

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Its a freaking OS! Should they come up with ways to protect copyrighted material at the expense of our machines and wallets? At the expense of building an uber decent OS everybody starts to love? Yeah, looks like...

[not directed at you zorgon, not personally anyways
]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
lol some of you need a quick reality check. So many are quick to dump and dismiss microsoft products but I'm willing to bet the majority here have it installed. Of course there will be problems, your talking about millions of lines of code and numerous hardware/software combinations. There are alternatives some of which are free so people can move along if they choose to. Contrary to popular belief microsoft is not holding a gun to your head, your free to make your own purchasing decisions (although most here again probably have a pirated version installed anyways which is irony at its best.)

Also for those who worry that microsoft may be monitoring what you send just put a sniffer inline and inspect the packets/payload, its not magic people. There's no mystery here and they have every right to combat theft of their product.

brill

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
Xp is the best in my opinion. Ive only got Sp1 with all updates up to SP2 and ive never had any problems whatsoever.

SP2 is so bloated and it slowed my pc down when i tested it so it was back to SP1 for me, along with some common sense, a software firewall like sygate, some freeware stuff like xpantispy and some options manually changed by me i have a very safe OS. Heck i dont even need a virus scanner

Theres no way i will ever get Vista if i can avoid it, i would rather switch to a linux product when i have no choices anymore.

I'm having some similar problems now, running Vista on a new PC and MS insists on installing SP3 for MS Office Professional. It cautions me that I 'May need to put in the original CD' after installation and stuff.

Thing is, my Office XP from 2002 is running fine and I do not want this update installed. Even checking the box 'let me decide to download and install' doesn't help as MS update wants to install it anyway, even if I uncheck the box.

I'm wondering now if I should 'opt out' of the MS update thing. I like getting the 'Defender' spam defs, but sheesh, there's a meg of updates every couple of days! If I had to reset the system from backup it would take a week to get caught up after a year of these.

So, my question is, do you know how to stop the nagging from Windows update, which is now sitting in my tray. (Even killing the process in TaskMan doesn't help, it restarts)

TIA

Dae

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It is, it is, look!

Say you've just bought Pink Floyd's “The Dark Side of the Moon”, released as a Super Audio CD (SACD) in its 30th anniversary edition in 2003, and you want to play it under Vista (I'm just using SACD as a representative example of protected audio content because it's a well-known technology, in practice Sony has refused to license it for playback on PCs). Since the S/PDIF link to your amplifier/speakers is regarded as insecure for playing the SA content, Vista would disable it, and you'd end up hearing a performance by Marcel Marceau instead of Pink Floyd.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
i heard that it can install somesort of software to the downloading/burning of copy protected songs. Thats why i havent gotten it.

Hey, listen dimwit, they inconvenience those who have purchased the material legally with the bloated code and copy protection stuff.

What nerve to make me pay twice for the original software, once with my credit card and again with lost productivity. In addition I have to keep re-entering serial numbers and I worry if I swap out HW the OS will stop working.

I lost my install of XP on my previous PC because I had a minor adware infection an when I tried to reinstall and boot up, it now wanted me to call MS! I ain't got time for that stuff - I already paid for it!

I reverted back to Win2K because I simply didn't want to go through the hassle and recriminations you typically get from the phone staff on stuff like this. They actually call people liars and thieves when they call!

THAT is some nerve, my friend.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I use xp and vista, vista is good and fast, you have to upgrade youre pc or buy a new one, that was exactely the same when people went from old win 98 comps, to the new xp machines, xp is much more heavier then 98, and so on. Thats just the natural evolvement, pcs get quicker every year. End of the year intel will come with super fast quadcores... i update every 2 years, cause i want to be up date, i like playing games from farcry and battlefield to command and conquer and flight sims.. I like user friendly os. I also have linux and its quite oke, but windows is much more friendly, ever tried to make a wireless network with linux.. with a broadcom chip bases wireless network card? No? Never try it lol. And its also a personal thing, some like apple, i really dont, some like linux, yeah its oke.. And that ms protects there software is completely normal, if more people are going to download cracked games, then games will become so expensive.. i always buy my games cause i hate cracked games lol ... And the last thing i want to comment.. vista is in its beginning, remember when xp was here for the first time? It took a long long time to get the bugs out, there are still alot of bugs in. And to all that linux is safer and hasnt got problems, thats just cause 80% of all the computer users, use windows systems thus.. its more vulnarable against attacks(bugs are found much quicker).. so keep looking in perspectives.. G day all!!

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
your talking about millions of lines of spaghetti code and numerous hardware/software combinations.

Also for those who worry that microsoft may be monitoring what you send just put a sniffer inline and inspect the packets/payload, its not magic people. There's no mystery here and they have every right to combat theft of their product.

brill

Yeah 'your' a genious. Putting a 'sniffer on your line will do jack-crap for detecting intrusions by MS. At least I know with ZoneAlarm that it's not looking at my HD when it serves as my firewall.

How in the HECK does MS know what monitor I have? They sent me an update for it. HOW IN THE HADES does MS know I have a copy of MS Office XP installed deep in my HD? They sent me an update for it and right now are DEMANDING that I install SP3 to it, against my wishes.

So they ARE monitoring what you're doing and there is plenty of evidence for it in those 'undeletable DAT' files on your HD.

Guess you better quit surfing those Pr0n sites, huh? MS has your info on that stored on their Petabyte servers in Redmond. LOL @ you.

[edit on 5-4-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pazzzzz
I use xp and vista, vista is good and fast, you have to upgrade youre pc or buy a new one, that was exactely the same when people went from old win 98 comps, to the new xp machines, xp is much more heavier then 98, and so on. Thats just the natural evolvement, pcs get quicker every year. End of the year intel will come with super fast quadcores... i update every 2 years, cause i want to be up date, i like playing games from farcry and battlefield to command and conquer and flight sims.. I like user friendly os. I also have linux and its quite oke, but windows is much more friendly, ever tried to make a wireless network with linux.. with a broadcom chip bases wireless network card? No? Never try it lol. And its also a personal thing, some like apple, i really dont, some like linux, yeah its oke.. And that ms protects there software is completely normal, if more people are going to download cracked games, then games will become so expensive.. i always buy my games cause i hate cracked games lol ... And the last thing i want to comment.. vista is in its beginning, remember when xp was here for the first time? It took a long long time to get the bugs out, there are still alot of bugs in. And to all that linux is safer and hasnt got problems, thats just cause 80% of all the computer users, use windows systems thus.. its more vulnarable against attacks(bugs are found much quicker).. so keep looking in perspectives.. G day all!!

Dude, you might not realize it but VISTA broke your caps lock key, removed your apostrophe key and disabled your spell checker. Man if I were you I'd toss that hunk of junk out the Windows (get it, it's a joke) !! LOL

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

your talking about millions of lines of spaghetti code and numerous hardware/software combinations.

brill

Yeah 'your' a genious. Putting a 'sniffer on your line will do jack-crap for detecting intrusions by MS. At least I know with ZoneAlarm that it's not looking at my HD when it serves as my firewall.

How in the HECK does MS know what monitor I have? They sent me an update for it. HOW IN THE HADES does MS know I have a copy of MS Office XP installed deep in my HD? They sent me an update for it and right now are DEMANDING that I install SP3 to it, against my wishes.

So they ARE monitoring what you're doing and there is plenty of evidence for it in those 'undeletable DAT' files on your HD.

Guess you better quit surfing those Pr0n sites, huh? MS has your info on that stored on their Petabyte servers in Redmond. LOL @ you.

Your obvious lack of PC/networking knowledge is very clear, thanks for confirming this so we could all see it. First of all zonealarm is a software firewall. A sniffer is not a firewall, when set in promiscuous mode it will capture ALL packets and payload for review either in ascii or a hex dump. You can view EVERY packet detail if you choose, therefore you CAN see what is going on if you make the effort. Also as I clearly indicated your not bound to microsoft, if your so upset with them either a) choose an alternative or b) write your own O/S.

Finally you should not call people names (ie. dimwit) as I believe it violates the Terms and Conditions set on his board.

good day.
brill

Dae

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Also for those who worry that microsoft may be monitoring

Its not about monitoring, have a scan through the original article. Its about Vista having the nerve to switch programs off or change your picture resolution (for worse!) all in the name of copyright protection! Its about Vista executing programmes without your say so or changing basic code paths.

Basically? Our PCs will be at the mercy of some copyright protection subsystem coding.

Flipside... wouldnt it be nice if Microsoft made products for people instead for other corporations? Microsoft should have a wonderful collection of people working for them, awsome programmers; get them working on a safe, fun, reliable OS. But alas no, dontcha just love the devotion corps. have for their god Profit?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

Also for those who worry that microsoft may be monitoring

Its not about monitoring, have a scan through the original article. Its about Vista having the nerve to switch programs off or change your picture resolution (for worse!) all in the name of copyright protection! Its about Vista executing programmes without your say so or changing basic code paths.

Basically? Our PCs will be at the mercy of some copyright protection subsystem coding.

Flipside... wouldnt it be nice if Microsoft made products for people instead for other corporations? Microsoft should have a wonderful collection of people working for them, awsome programmers; get them working on a safe, fun, reliable OS. But alas no, dontcha just love the devotion corps. have for their god Profit?

Your absolutely right and I didn't mean to veer off I was just replying to a comment on the tracking.

However with their attempts to thwart piracy there are and always will be methods to circumvent this. Is it ethical, probably not, but you do what you have to do.

brill

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Your obvious lack of PC/networking knowledge is very clear, thanks for confirming this so we could all see it. First of all zonealarm is a software firewall. A sniffer is not a firewall, when set in promiscuous mode it will capture ALL packets and payload for review either in ascii or a hex dump. You can view EVERY packet detail if you choose, therefore you CAN see what is going on if you make the effort. Also as I clearly indicated your not bound to microsoft, if your so upset with them either a) choose an alternative or b) write your own O/S.

Finally you should not call people names (ie. dimwit) as I believe it violates the Terms and Conditions set on his board.

good day.
brill

OK I apologize for that. My beef is with MS and not with you.

On the packet sniffer and firewall I know what those are. I was coding in Assembly language before you were born and have been a professional IT manager in a major corporation, as well.

You think that MS can't get around those by using binary code that will not disclose what they are doing? You are naive if you think a packet sniffer will determine what MS is doing with their updates and the data exchange. They could easily grab data and you'd never know the difference. It's not going to be in plain text!

So, again, sorry to come off as cranky. You seem like a nice guy.

take it easy, bro.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

lol some of you need a quick reality check. So many are quick to dump and dismiss microsoft products but I'm willing to bet the majority here have it installed. Of course there will be problems, your talking about millions of lines of code and numerous hardware/software combinations. There are alternatives some of which are free so people can move along if they choose to. Contrary to popular belief microsoft is not holding a gun to your head, your free to make your own purchasing decisions (although most here again probably have a pirated version installed anyways which is irony at its best.)
No, irony at its best is people waiting until the whole damn OS is cracked with all the DRM crap removed before making the decision to download and install it because they will be forced to to play Vista only games soon.

Right now, I wouldnt install Vista if someone gave me a free copy. Ill only consider a clean pirate version. DRM causing piracy, now thats irony.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

OK I apologize for that. My beef is with MS and not with you.

On the packet sniffer and firewall I know what those are. I was coding in Assembly language before you were born and have been a professional IT manager in a major corporation, as well.

You think that MS can't get around those by using binary code that will not disclose what they are doing? You are naive if you think a packet sniffer will determine what MS is doing with their updates and the data exchange. They could easily grab data and you'd never know the difference. It's not going to be in plain text!

So, again, sorry to come off as cranky. You seem like a nice guy.

take it easy, bro.

Likewise you seem like a fine upstanding person. We both agree that microsoft has the upper hand here which in the end is never a good thing. Have a good one

brill

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I gave up on MS a couple years ago. I use Mac OS X exclusivley. I haven't looked back since.

- NSBiz

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don't know of any friends/family that are going over to vista or have any plans to in the near future. The only ones I see buying into vista are corporations companies....

Geez, time to just bag MS and go with open source stuff i suppose.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slickinfinity
I am an avid gamer and from what I read it said in the article that Visa causes performance issues? I was in a hurry and couldnt read the full article so if someone could breifly explain in simple terms what bad things vista does plz?

Older games Doom 3 and back that use directx 9 will not run well on vista for whatever reason, not sure, but it will run directx 10 games just fine... If you buy a new machine, make sure not to throw out the old xp box, you might regret it.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I don't see the big ruckus here.
There *will* always be cracks / patches / methods to circumvent (as said before) any protection, hell, anything in the world for that matter, so you can either complain here about how this or that is "teh sux", or you can simply do something about it.

No ''conspiracy'' to be found here if you ask me, I'd say this is plain logic.

[edit on 5/4/07 by -0mega-]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join