It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydrogen: More polluting than petroleum?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Hydrogen: More polluting than petroleum?

news.com.com

Once touted as the clean wonder fuel of the future, hydrogen fuel cells for cars or homes are now routinely panned as inefficient and impractical, particularly when compared to technologies like electric cars or solar thermal water heaters.

Joseph Romm, a physicist, author of, among other books, Hell and High Water: Global Warming--the Solution and the Politics--or Hydrogen and editor of the respected ClimateProgress, also points out that the gas can be worse for the atmosphere than regular gas, depending on the circumstances.

Hydrogen burns clean out of the car's tailpipe, but producing hydrogen at a factory generates significant amount of CO2. The standard hydrogen process involves mixing methane with water at 815 degrees Celsius.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
With oil running out, where do we go from here?
Pond Scum and The Future
Hydrogen vs. Ethanol Cars

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is an interesting link and makes some valid points, it also raises many questions as too who is telling the truth.

news.com.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
lol i was just talking about that yesterday the only difference is that the carbon emmissions are at the place that processes hydrogen it wouldnt stop the problem it would just kinda hide it

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yeah, it's sad but true. The main reason people seem to want to go towards hydrogen is it's maximum range and ease of choke point control(the most cost effective source of hydrogen is still Crude Oil and Natural Gas), all the while ignoring the fact that it takes A LOT of energy to create Hydrogen.

Here is a graph that roughly illustrates the main reason for why I oppose this energy storage medium.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The real reason people want hydrogen is because it would still be controlled by big oil. The reason it will never make it is lawyers. Too much liability. I worked in the fuel system business for 20+ years. Soon the ethanol business will be bought out by big oil and why do you think the Bush family bought all that land in Paraguay??? DUH!!!

mikell

Also the only reason we went and did testing with it was because the government thru money at us.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by mikellmikell]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
If you use electrolysis, and use clean, renewable energy for the
production of the Hydrogen fuel you get rid of this whole problem
all together.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
all together.

Mass produced renewable engery is years away. Hydrogen is right around the corner what do you do in the mean time??

[edit on 4/3/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Mass produced renewable engery is years away. Hydrogen is right around the corner what do you do in the mean time??

Until than you invest in biofuels, electric cars, Hybrids and more
gas efficient cars.

apc

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Suck fumes.

I don't think this article says anything we didn't already know. Producing hydrogen is inefficient. Only when we discover some new technology to split water, preferably self-sustaining, will hydrogen be a realistic replacement for petroleum.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Biological processes can be used to produce H, not sure on their efficiency though.

As for the assertion that H is polluting, well, if you use Nuclear power in the electrolysis then you have your clean usable fuel with zero CO2 emissions. Just a bit of radioactive waste to bury instead.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Until than you invest in biofuels, electric cars, Hybrids and more
gas efficient cars.

All Bio fuels are not available in all areas, many hybrids are having big problems Preus (sp?) and lastly many cars claiming they are effiecient are not.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
All Bio fuels are not available in all areas, many hybrids are having big problems Preus (sp?) and lastly many cars claiming they are effiecient are not.

Tsk. Must you find fault with everything.

I'm kiding of course.

Unfortunately you can't just poof a complete clean system into existance,
it will take time, because of that the best thing you can do is pollute as
little as possible, until the cleaner technology becomes available.

For example, say you want somwething from the store, that is 1 mile
away, instead of driving that short distance, walk it instead, that's
both better for the environment, and for you as well.

[edit on 4/3/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Tsk. Must you find fault with everything.

I'm kiding of course.

I know no offense taken I am just trying to play the devils advocate here to point out all possible flaws and open this up to a bigger discussion it hat will cover all negatives and positives is all

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Electric Drive Hybrids is what I believe will close the gap between our current Gasoline dominated market to a complete H2/Pure EV market. This process will likely take a couple of decades, however for those with patience it is looking to be one helluva investment opportunity.

An EV Hybrid is basically similar to a regular Hybrid, except in this case, instead of having the engine produce pure torque, it will be tuned to produce pure electricity. With less moving parts, you get to have a more compact power plant thusly reducing weight and increasing efficiency. With newer mass-produced composite body technology, the efficiency of these vehicles might get so advanced, that we may never give up combustion(regardless of where the fuel is coming from).

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc Only when we discover some new technology to split water, preferably self-sustaining, will hydrogen be a realistic replacement for petroleum.

Stanley Meyer already did this.

He was also murdered.

The fact Big Oil wants to control hydrogen proves that Peak Oil is a myth.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
sardion2000,

I always love your information and posts. Thanks for the graph.

Originally posted by sardion2000
Yeah, it's sad but true. The main reason people seem to want to go towards hydrogen is it's maximum range and ease of choke point control(the most cost effective source of hydrogen is still Crude Oil and Natural Gas), all the while ignoring the fact that it takes A LOT of energy to create Hydrogen.

Here is a graph that roughly illustrates the main reason for why I oppose this energy storage medium.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by sardion2000]

apc

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
Stanley Meyer already did this.

He was also murdered.

The fact Big Oil wants to control hydrogen proves that Peak Oil is a myth.

If, and that's a big if, he was murdered it was to delay the realization of his ideas until Peak Oil does hit. Oil companies are ready to plow full steam (hah!) into alternative energy as soon as it is economical. Companies such as BP Alternative Energy.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

all together.

Yet you release more water vapor into the atmosphere which is the most important and abundant greenhouse gas, also known as a trace gas, not to mention the fact that water vapor retains twice the amount of heat than CO2.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
With as much profit is in oil right now any one who thinks that the oil companies really want alternative fuels and energies to come into dominance, in my opinion, is living in a dream land.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
For those proposing Ethanol as an alternate here is something to ponder from our Canadain friends to the north.

www.cbc.ca...

Ethanol No cleaner then gas

Ethanol-blend auto emissions no greener than gasoline: study

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join