It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trouble With Islam

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Ah yes toss out the priests and choirboy issue. The unforgivable behaviour of a few used to stereotype the whole. Very well done. So a few catholic priests who violate their oaths are worse than a few imams who call for people to blow up groups of school children?

Very few here are coloring all of Islam as terrorists because of the actions of a few. Even if they were, how does using equally invalid stereotypes of evil catholic priests validate your defense?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
how does using equally invalid stereotypes of evil catholic priests validate your defense?

It validates the defense due to the fact that we are not talking about A few evil priests. Yes it was only a few that carried out the molestation of young boys. But it was the hierarchy of the church that not only facilitated the rapes, but aided and abetted the cover up and escape of the offenders. Back in the day when a priest was caught molesting a child instead of turning the offender over to the police, they would move him to an other church were he would molest others.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It doesn't validate anything, because neither one can be used to justify the other...they are both crimes committed by criminals. Nonetheless, my case still stands...Islamic fundamentalism is by far the most widespread form of terrorism known on the planet.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
my case still stands...Islamic fundamentalism is by far the most widespread form of terrorism known on the planet.

but that is NOT AN ISSUE OF ISLAM, it is a function of the social and political situations of the middle east.

do you have any evidence to show that this terrorism is a byproduct of islam specifically?

i could understand the argument that it is a product of religion meeting politics, but not that it is something specific to islam.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
On so you only want to talk terrorism only, OK I’m jiggy with that. If you define terrorism as

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
ter•ror•ism ˈtɛr əˌrɪz əm - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ter-uh-riz-uh m] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

That would make the number one terrorist exporter the US government.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.serendipity.li...

www.antiwar.com...

And that’s after two minuets of googleing!
Yet again the body count of Islamic fundamentalists falls well short.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk

I find them to be no more or less evil then the Christian Bible

I see much correlation between what Islam teaches and the Old Testament of the bible. However, there is nothing similar between Islam and the New Testament as best as I can tell. I have very little regard for the Old Testament, exempting the Ten Commandments.

Aside from the fact Jesus is a Prophet in Islam?

To be honest, every single person on this website who I've ever seen that has a problem with Islam is uneducated on it. Seriously, go bother to learn the language and read it. It is so easy to translate something and make it seem violent when one word in Arabic can be translated into over 100 different English words.

The fact is, it is no more evil than many other Religions. The fact is the vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists (or you'd see a real problem if 1/6th of the Worlds population was a terrorist.)

Just grow up.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Just grow up.

"You have voted Odium for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month."

Well said!

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I have very mixed feelings about Islam...

I have numerous Muslim friends (on the internet, I know them from gaming websites).

They are actually nice people, although sometimes its a bit awkward talking with them.

Now I am against sexism, and in many Muslim countries, like Saudi Arabia, its very sexist. However from what I've heard in the United Arab Emirates at least women can pretty much do whatever they want. Although I need confirmation of that. But also, in the United Arab Emirates, homosexuality is apparently punishable by death... *shutter*

I've noticed that the Koran is about as hypocritical as the Bible. Sometimes it says women are to be slaves, then somewhere else it says women are equal. In one place it says to kill non-Muslims, in another it says killing is wrong. The Bible also has such hypocrisies. I suppose its just up to the Muslim to believe whichever part. I just hope more Muslims choose the more liberal parts.

Now I've noticed that Muslims who are not Arab or Iranian tend to be more liberal in general, like Muslims in Albania/Kosovo/the Balkans or Malaysia. They sometimes don't follow all the rules.

I'm going to be optimistic. I know that in the past Christianity used to be extremely un-liberal, where women didn't have equal rights as men, and even more in the past Christians used to kill non-Christians. That for the most part is over, except for the few extremist Christians scattered about. But I'd still say for the most part that the majority of the Christian population, especially in Europe, is fairly liberal (relatively to the past). So I'm going to hope that in the future much of Islam will liberalize, we just need to give them some time.

Remember Islam is the youngest Abrahamic religion, we should give them a chance. Jews have been around the longest and Jewish people are the most liberal and open minded people I know. They usually are respectful of your beliefs and never push their religion on you, but of course thats probably because Jews have been persecuted for so long.

But yeah thats my two cents.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join