It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Military Chief Warns US Against Attacking Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Russian Military Chief Warns US Against Attacking Iran

www.forbes.com

MOSCOW (AFX) - The chief of staff of Russia's armed forces has warned Washington that taking military action against Iran would be a 'serious political error' and would not benefit the United States.

'The United States has a deployment of troops in the region which is capable of carrying out strikes on Iranian territory, but such action would be a serious political error,' said General Yuri Baluyevsky, according to the Interfax news agency.

'It is certainly possible to inflict damage on the military and industrial potential of Iran but that would not signify a victory, (because) there would be repercussions across the whole world.'

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
British PM warns Iranians only have a few days
Iran warns Bush not to talk unwisely over Britons' case
April 6 Sneak Attack On Iran

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Posting FYI, No Comment yet have to absorb the article..

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Maybe this has something to do with it:

Russian workers still present in Bushehr power plant: Saeedi

Iran-Saeedi-Nuclear
Deputy Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization (IAEO) for International Affairs Mohammad Saeedi dismissed news on departure of Russian workers from Bushehr power plant.

"Russian workers are present at Bushehr power plant and are currently working there," Saeedi told reporters after inauguration of the plant's logistic units.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Russia's being more vocal than usual over Iran,
And, from my recolection its the first time theyve activley said

'' do not attack Iran, it wont benefit you ''

I think russia's got a lot of intellegence on the US, especially its forces in the Gulf.

They reported a building of forces on the border not to long ago too....

I feel Russia will know an Attack on Iran is coming, before the Iranians do.

Jack, you've been finding some good news articles lately, whats ya secret?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Jack, you've been finding some good news articles lately, whats ya secret?

No life, plenty of coffee and a never ending quest for the news that we all should know, not just what we are fed by the MSM.

Sometimes you come up snake eyes and look like a fool but I'll risk that to at least let ATS know what is being reported worldwide, I try to let you members know if it is slanted going in.

Then I let the populous here take over, thanks for asking

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
you gotta remember that russia used to have a massive intelligence base all over the world. just because the ussr is gone, does not mean that that base is gone.

you can guarentee that russian intelligence is still very good in most countries, and there power is still wide spread, even though there public power may have dwindled.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Big-balls Russia/Putin are still awaiting payment for the boatloads of weapons sold and rec'd by Iran. Between that an Energy initiatives (use theirs first before using our own), Russia/PUTIN really wants to continue doing GOOD Business with that lower class of (...) scum.

The western world, seems to me, has to be somewhat careful and somewhat fearful of Russia/PUTIN's demands..don't want any " lost nucs "being declared.

Dallas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited for censor circumvention

[edit on 3/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
A very short article on the subject I found here:

Military actions near Russian borders, including against Iran, unacceptable - ministry

MOSCOW. April 3 (Interfax) - Russian First Deputy Foreign Minister Andrei Denisov said that Russia is "very negative" over plans to hold a military operation against Iran.

"Any military action near Russia's borders is unacceptable. We view this negatively and we will do everything to prevent this," the diplomat said at a press conference on Tuesday in Moscow.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This article on Iran's nuclear deal with Russia on the uranium supply could have something to do with the hard words coming from Russia

Iran atomic chief: Good news on April 9

TEHRAN, Apr. 03 (ISNA)-Iran's atomic energy organization chief expressed hope that his November agreement with the Russian atomic energy organization chief would be executed on time.

When asked what guarantee existed that the Russians would not act different as promised such as done before, Reza Aghazadeh noted that this project had a symbolic entity for both countries and the Russian reputation would internationally be questioned if they did not act according to their promise.

"In addition if the Russians didn't want this to happen they would not keep three thousand of their experts in Iran," he added.

[edit on 2007/4/3 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If any suitcase nukes went off Russia would be blamed as they were the ones that lost them... which could've been part of a far reaching plan.

Russia flexing its muscle hmm maybe a new cold war time? or if Russia does come to the aid of Iran and opens fire on any allies then that would be WW3 for sure and i prey our secret weapons are better than theirs and i hope we have a nuke defence laser shield or something exotic that can shoot nukes out sky far enough away so no damage is done or fallout.

Any way how hard is it for Iran to just hand back the 15 hostages and stop all this, oh wait thats right their president was part of the terrorists that held the USA embassy hostage while back and he says their profit will come help them and wants Israel wiped of map along with western country's, hmm right friendly religion that he follows its just death after death Iran is a terrorist supporting country just look at how many times they hold people hostage....

[edit on 3-4-2007 by blobby]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Would China help Russia or would they help the West? Russia could = more land for China if they helped the West?

This is going to get interesting as i think UK has given Iran 48hrs or we will declare it an act of war and start bombing things.

Also maybe Russia knows Iran is going to let the hostages go in a day or so and Russia is now choosing to show some muscle and try make themselves look good?

[edit on 3-4-2007 by blobby]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Another report from China on the words from Russia:

FM: Russian against use force on Iran

Russian General Chief of Staff Yury Baluyevsky on Tuesday claimed that the possible use of force by the United States against Iran was aimed at enhancing U.S. "positions of at once a captain and a navigator" on the international arena but will "signal the decline of America."

Resolutions adopted by the United Nations Security Council has excluded the use of force, Lavrov said, adding that "We urge all those, who may have an idea to use force, to implement the United Nations Security Council's decisions and to remain in the international law field.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
from the way the article is written , it sounds like they think we will send in ground troops, I don't think we will in this case, I think it will just be an air war, not a ground war, but who knows for sure

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby

This is going to get interesting as i think UK has given Iran 48hrs or we will declare it an act of war and start bombing things.

Provide a link that says Britain will declare it an act of war. I'd like to see it because it's totally contrary to everything I've read on the subject this morning.

Originally posted by thedigirati
from the way the article is written , it sounds like they think we will send in ground troops, I don't think we will in this case, I think it will just be an air war, not a ground war, but who knows for sure

There's no such thing as an air war. There's bombing runs, true, but infantry and ground vehicles are ten times as effective and an absolute necessity in winning any war.

Unless of course, you're not talking conventional war. But nuclear war with Iran would be a monumentally bad decision given it's proximity to Russia and China.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hey blobby. Russia, China and Iran seem to be running amuk. But the one and only thing I wish to say in the positive re the present US Admin is -- way to go !!

Imposing US Duty Tariffs (if high enough) against Chinese imports is a major step in allowing US manufacturing growth in the longer term.

Assuming civilization continues and becomes more adventurous, Canada may join the United States in imposing nominal Duty rates (outside NAFTA). We, North America will do better in short-term suffering with price increases.

Dallas

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
And just when im starting to calm down, this happens. My god i can't tell you how terrified I am of waking up one morning and discovering that nuclear war is in full swing. I've been terrified ever since the hostage situation began that i'd look on the news or ATS one day and find out that Russia and China have begun preperations for a nuclear strike against Britain and America.

Did the Russians give a warning like this when the US/UK invaded Iraq?
Because if so could this just be a general disapproval and not an "if you attack Iran we WILL attack you" statement? Or is this the beginning of something much MUCH more serious?

And btw i havent yet seen any indications that after 48 hours an act of war will be declared, but Tony Blair has said the next 48 hours will be "critical". Surely, given the Iranian response to tough UK statements in the past days of this crisis, any decleration by the UK of the crisis being treat as an act of war would only cause the Iranians to toughen their response and possibly put the captives on trial?

I'm dearly hoping that this isnt WW3, anyone have any reassurances?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Who the heck knows pete? For me, it's not a matter of just reflecting negatively re the possible future gloom and doom seemingly surrounding it. My Children and their futures are significant and more and more on my mind.

People like high powered House Speaker Pelosi going over-there. Perhap's just to hear and see with her own eyes what may be occurring or what may?, is important to me for our future generations.

I'm Canadian and we are next door to the USA. To me, it's vitally important that problems that are capable of being rectified between the mid-east and the United States is really important, no matter who, what where, when and -- the why's obvious.

Dallas

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
WW3 = end of civilised world.

No more McDonald's
No more Vodka
No more Chinese take out.

Never going to happen. All concerned have too much to lose.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
WW3=LOL
There isn't any one stupid enough on this planet to launch a nuke except for the muslim rag heads in iran.
Well any way if WW3 started it would be Iran,Russia vs US,UK,EU(This would be the biggest power ever in world history).
I don't think China would want a fight, they enjoy trading with the west.
Russia's military equipment is mostly outdated except for a few missiles, Russias economy is a joke.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yah, no more people tombangelta. Kinda takes me back to Godfather II.
Where Michael of Don Vito Corleone tells his family's Jewish friend (Lee Strasberg) and others during the Bday Celebration.

Something like: You Know, it occurred to me while watching this terrorist guy jumping into a military car with a Cuban Col in it and exploding his bomb to kill not just the Col but himself too.
That they may win the war against President Carlos Prío Socarrás and his military.

Dallas

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join