It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

System Restore Saved My Butt!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but yesterday, my hard drive started going crazy and my memory was being eaten up by God only knows what, but only on my admin account.

What's worse, I couldn't get into System Restore from my desktop link and I couldn't remember how to get it otherwise. I couldn't even open my help file.

So I changed my limited account to an admin account and logged on and fortunately, the hard drive didn't get the runs. I did an search for System Restore and restored my settings to March 31.

Thank God, everything is back to normal.

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy an external hard drive to simplify backup, something I've been mulling over for some time.

Anyone else experience something like this?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Yeah, thank God for system restore, I can't tell you how many times that saved my but.:shk:

[edit on 2-4-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
So I changed my limited account to an admin account

Just wondering why your account isn't an admin account. Why the heck would you be using a limited account on your own computer anyways? lol The only account I have on my computer is an admin account. The guest account is even disabled lol.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega

Just wondering why your account isn't an admin account. Why the heck would you be using a limited account on your own computer anyways? lol The only account I have on my computer is an admin account. The guest account is even disabled lol.

This is rare I guess but I know some people who use a limited account for surfing as it narrows down the security risks for malware.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Grady, I actually did a System Restore two days ago. For some reason when I would click a link like a YouTube or News link nothing would come up. So I couldn't access half the internet :shk: .

But did the System Restore and it's all good now.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Just wondering why your account isn't an admin account.

I surf the internet using my limited account. It limits the effects of malware that might get through my security software.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I've had the next best thing happen: a virus actually got backed up into the system restore point system and gave me one big ole headache trying to extract the writhing little sucker from there.

Another benefit of using the limited account for normal use is that you have to switch to the Admin account to install software, which for the lazy like myself means your far less likely to install junk software on a whim and thus decrease the overall mess of the computer. Plus its just good practice to stay out of the Admin account as offered by this geek proverb: he who plays in root quickly kills the tree.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I surf the internet using my limited account. It limits the effects of malware that might get through my security software.

I see. I haven't thought of that before. It does make a lot of sense.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
yea system restore saved my bud thousand of times

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Actually, System Restore saved my butt many times, too.

What I was really asking was if anyone experienced any weird computer behavior on April Fools' Day.

I guess I should have been more clear.

[edit on 2007/4/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Oh, sorry Grady.

Nope, I haven't had anything on April Fools day before.

new topics

top topics

join