It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed for Having Deadly TB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Man Jailed for Having Deadly TB

www.foxnews.com

Behind the county hospital's tall cinderblock walls, a 27-year-old tuberculosis patient sits in a jail cell equipped with a ventilation system that keeps germs from escaping.

Robert Daniels has been locked up indefinitely, perhaps for the rest of his life, since last July. But he has not been charged with a crime. Instead, he suffers from an extensively drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis, or XDR-TB. It is considered virtually untreatable.

County health authorities obtained a court order to lock him up as a danger to the public because he failed to take precautions to avoid infecting others. Specifically, he said he did not heed doctors' instructions to wear a mask in public.

"I'm being treated worse than an inmate," Daniels said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press last month. "I'm all alone. Four walls. Even the door to my room has been locked. I haven't seen my reflection in months."

Though Daniels' confinement is extremely rare, health experts say it is a situation that U.S. public health officials may have to confront more and more because of the spread of drug-resistant TB and the emergence of diseases such as SARS and avian flu in this increasingly interconnected world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It would really suck to be this guy! I understand that they are trying to prevent a TB outbreak.....I really don't see what else can be done.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-4-2007 by BlueRidge]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Yeah, I hope we don't have a drug-resistent TB plague, that's what would really suck.

new topics

join