It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tainted Pets Foods - No Rat Poison, New Chemical Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Tainted Pets Foods - No Rat Poison, New Chemical Found

www.cnn.com

Dry food added to pet food recall list
POSTED: 7:15 p.m. EDT, March 30, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal testing of recalled pet foods turned up a chemical used to make plastics but failed to confirm the presence of a cancer drug also used as rat poison. The recall expanded Friday to include the first dry pet food.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
double post, mods remove this please

[edit on 30-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I read this earlier today on the MSNBC website.

Sounds suspicious to me that suddenly the cause has changed from rat poison to a chemical used to make plastics.

Either way, my pets are not eating petfood... the eat the same pesticide-loaded table food as I do.

Just kidding... I've recently switched to organic food as much as possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
to my mind this just shows that you don't always get when you pay more for, this has ruined the good names in pet food, even if they were allegedly the "best"
here is the link the the MSNBC story

www.msnbc.msn.com...

wrong url sorry

[edit on 30-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It took a while for someone to finally notice that. I guess when they decided to check for rat poison, they found other things.

I noticed this over a year ago, when those new moist cat food pouches came out. It looks like a silver mylar package on the inside.

Anyway, a couple days after trying those out, my cat was puking like there was no tomorrow. I smelled the pouch to see if the food was rotten, but to my surprise it smelled like freshly burned plastic. Every one I opened, regardless of brand, had the same burned plastic odor. I mean it was overpowering the the smell of the food, and some of it was salmon flavored which can blow your socks off by itself, but even that was drowned out by the burnt smell.

Some plastics naturally have that odor, and there is a way to get rid of it, but I believe these types of plastics are not food grade, or safe to eat from.

Lately I've noticed some bottled water containers that have a burnt smell and a sharp after taste. Keep on the look out. If you have to do a smell test, do it, no since in getting poisoned just because these guys want to save a buck by switching to cheaper non-food grade containers.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I can't eat or drink anything that comes out of plastic, cause it tastes plastic to me, I only use can or bottles. I've never bought bottled water, cause it all tastes bitter to me

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The only thing my cat likes is plain old Purina Cat Chow dry food. I've bought more expensive wet food and given him table scraps and such before, but he just doesn't eat it.

As far as I can tell the Purina cat chow hasn't been affected yet, but I'm starting to get worried. I don't want to feed my cat poison!!!!

[edit on 3/30/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I had been wondering about this story, and how the 'poison' seems to keep changing. First it was bad wheat gluten, then no.....it's rat poison, yeah that's it......now it some plastic stuff.....

If is was 'some plastic stuff' all along.....why the song and dance?? Are we supposed to be so 'relieved' that it wasn't rat poison that we don't notice it's something that's getting in our food as well??

CAPT P, you have a good point.

[edit on 30-3-2007 by frayed1]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Angry....
...no...
angry isn't strong enough...
Furious
Yes...
FURIOUS

My cats, my children are at risk...for what???!!!??!?!
I have two special needs cats (one is elderly and diabetic, the other is developmentally challenged), as if they didn't have it rough enough...
This is an outrage!
That's it, I'm going to find the root cause of this.
Someone has to speak for those poor animals who died as a result of this, and someone has to answer to it!
I'll be back in this thread in a day or two with my findings (I have to work a 16 hour day tomorrow, so it'll take me some time to gather the info, but I will be back.)

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
we currently don't have cats right now, because we can't and it's been driving us insane, we love cats and they love us, they are our "kids" as well. they love us unconditionally and make us laugh. I would be as upset over my cat being poisoned as I would my natural child. Some one would pay, and not with just "hush" money

Just had a weird memory flash, wasn't this how "planet of the Apes" started? all the dogs and cats died......... wow my mind works in odd ways......

[edit on 31-3-2007 by thedigirati]

new topics

top topics

join