It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mi-28 or Ka-52?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The Russian army it seems wants to produce the Mi-28, which helicopter do you think Russia should use?

I think both helicopters should be used, the Ka-52's twin rotar is a plus, especially since it probably means if it gets hit in the tail with an RPG it won't go down, no?

The Mi-28 is also great, and the Mi-28N has the latest night electronics like the Ka-52, and it is very heavily armed, I think both helicopters should be used, a little big of each , if you know what I mean.

State which helicopter you think Russia should have chosen, and why.

Ka-52

MI-28

You could mention the Ka-50 instead, if you'd like, it too has advantages like single seat, and lower cost.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by Russian soldier]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I have to say those Russians have that counter rotating rotor technology down.

As far as being able to take a shot to the tail and make it away, not really sure...a shot to the tail wold more than likely seperate the tail boom from the aircraft...so...

And if you look at the top picture, it looks like there is a tail rotor just to the right of the vertical stabilizer.

So a loss of the tail boom would be catastrophic.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
They would replace the Mi-24/35 Hind?

I believe the Hind has a severe disadvantage of being inoperable at high altitudes. These two types overcome that disadvantage?

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I thought the HAVOC was already in use? Guess thats what i get for playing video games from the 90's

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
nice I like the tank train and tanker ships

[edit on 14-3-2007 by exotic4499]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
aight, here's my contribution to this thread

VIDEOS!!!

Mil Mi-28 Havoc

Kamov Ka-50 Black Shark

enjoy!

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
well i would have to say that the Ka-52 looks kooler

like you said though RS, both should be used, like that of the Cobra and the Apache.

[edit on 15-3-2007 by funny_pom]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
except both would be better than the cobra and the apache ;p

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yeah, both should be used, but would it be more complicated for military? Training pilots for 2 different aircraft,etc? But yeah, like US uses the Super Cobra and Longbow Apache.......I want to see the Mi-24/35 thrown in the garbage can! I cannot stand seeing old stuff in my country's army! Throw away every tank before T-90, every apc before BTR-90, every assault rifle before the AK-74M/AK-100 series/An-94, and so on and so on....

but really, how could a transport that can only carry 8 troops and is huge and unmanuevarable with pylongs for weapons (the mi-24/35) still be used? Aggh, throw it away, throw that rusty toy away.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Mi-24/35 is still one of the most weapons heavy heli platforms out there..
It is worth more than the respect you give it.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Perhaps, my bad, but for Russia, its time to take it away, like the T-34, I give it alotta respect, but Russia can't be using it now, same with the Mi-24/35, its not that bad, but today is today, it was an ok chopper THEN, now new stuff, and I just hate seeing old stuff in modern militaries, Russia doesn't need to throw em away though, export them and make some money.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Neither IMHO the day of the frontline attack chopter is over. As the USSR found in Afganistan and the US is Somalia and in Iraq, you cannot make there things impervious to RPG's and the like and they remain pretty vulnerable.

Fighting a massive armour battle over friendly territory is one thing, but this is an unlikely scenario these days.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think you want a heavily armoured manuverable helicopter.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Why don't you guys actually get some information about the choppers above first, and stop reinforcing assumptions with information that came out of your arse?

"Russian Soldier"
It's old, that is your excuse ?
Do you know how much firepower/support it can provide to the troops on the ground ?
If you ever see one of them coming your way with "guns blazing" it'll be the sacriest thing you'll ever see.
Have you seen the new upgrade packages for the P models ?
They include most of the things that the current Mi-28N has (main rotor, weapon pods, nv, flir,fcs, non retractable lg..)
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Hell, look at the MC, still stuck with the ch46, ah/uh1 series, I don't hear them complaining.

Ty sluzhil ? don't look like it.

FredT, Those choppers were designed for "low intensity conflicts" (that's why they have been upgraded/tested so many times doring the mid '90's - early '00) as well as for full-scale wars. Meaning they are fast, maneuverable, heavily armored and pack a hell of a punch.

[edit on 19-3-2007 by kaskad]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
No, my excuse is NOT that its hold, hell lots of things are old and are STILL good, the Mi-24 is a FEARSOME weapon, but in today's warfare it is OBSOLETE due to its lack of manuevariblity, huge size, and light armor. Yes it is heavily armed, and yes, I've seen the newer versions with those huge engines and the same missiles that are on the Mi-28, but for a country like Russia, it is no longer needed, other countries of the world can make use for it, but Russia has 2 better machines, the Ka-52, and Mi-28 which were BUILT to replace it.

The HIND’s wings provide 22% to 28% of its lift in forward flight. In a steep banking turn at slower airspeeds, the low wing can lose lift while it is maintained on the upper wing, resulting in an excessive roll. This is countered by increasing forward airspeed to increase lift on the lower wing. Because of this characteristic, and the aircraft’s size and weight, it is not easily maneuverable. Therefore they usually attack in pairs or multiple pairs, and from various directions.[qoute]

The aircraft was operated extensively during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, mainly for bombing Mujahideen fighters. The US supplied heat-seeking Stinger missiles to the Mujahideen, and the Soviet Mi-8 and Mi-24 helicopters proved to be favorite targets of the rebels.

The cockpit was heavily armoured and could withstand even .50 caliber (12.7 mm) rounds, but the Hind's tail is extremely vulnerable due to the lack of armour in that section.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Mi-24 was good....for its time, though,, other countries could make good use of it though

Read this, the Mi-28

en.wikipedia.org...

Ka-52
en.wikipedia.org...

Ka-50

en.wikipedia.org...

As you can see, the Mi-28 and Ka-52/ Ka-50 are very different helicopters unique in their own ways,, it seems the 2 after all will be used, but the Mi-28N will be the main army helicopter whilte the Ka-50 is gonna be used with Special Forces, I don't know what they're gonna do with the Ka-52 though

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
In terms of sheer firepower you would have to take the Ka-52. I remember reading about the massive ammount and variety of weapons it can carry. I could see why they would use it with special forces, maximum fire support when youre behind enemy lines. I dont know much about the Havoc, though the name probably speaks for itself. Looks like it has good performance and maneuverability. Both are worthy helos.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Hey russian, are you in the armed forces? What are your thoughts about the Russian military...all biases aside? how is its rebuilding faze going after the fall of the soviet union?

Nice choppers...

[edit on 123131p://0703am by semperfoo]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
well as much as i like russan technology I will only rely on the good old american apache helicopter. It is the best designed helicopter I have personally seen and I will trust my life to it.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Hey russian, are you in the armed forces? What are your thoughts about the Russian military...all biases aside? how is its rebuilding faze going after the fall of the soviet union?

Nice choppers...

[edit on 123131p://0703am by semperfoo]

Gonna be in the armed forces in a few months.....I see Russia progressing since the "difficult times" after the fall of the Soviet Union...I see a bright future for Russia, its just a matter of time, you can recover from almost anything, and Russia is making a good recovery, and also, when you hear about stuff like a rusty Russian navy or a plane like the Su-37 not having enough funding, you must understand that most of those news are over 10 years old, when is the last time you saw a photo of the black eagle? Late 90s, probably, and so on, currently we arn't doing too bad, and in the future we hopefully will be even stronger then the Soviet Union ever was.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
As you can see, the Mi-28 and Ka-52/ Ka-50 are very different helicopters unique in their own ways,, it seems the 2 after all will be used, but the Mi-28N will be the main army helicopter whilte the Ka-50 is gonna be used with Special Forces, I don't know what they're gonna do with the Ka-52 though

If i have understood correctly from reading about kamov helicopters k-52 is going to be used as command helicopter for ka-50s. this is why Ka-52 has more observation eguipment than ka-50. like one ka-52 and 5 ka-50 work as group. ka-52s second man takes care about target pointing and evaluation, inteligence reports, commanding and such stuff. Then this info is delivered to other helicopters in the group. THis allows more effective targeting tactics and enables other pilots to concentrate fully on flying of the copter

edit found the source
www.enemyforces.com...

[edit on 23-7-2007 by hopea]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join