It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-cycled hardware???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
With defense becoming so important now days it amuses me that the australian government thinks that by spluging big at U.S. army jumble sales then paying through the nose for spare parts and maintenance from the us that we are anything by a military joke.

I guess no-one spends more on military R&D than the US... but the same amount of our money spent on some R&D of our own (smartly deployed) would pay a much bigger dividend.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by morphonius821
With defense becoming so important now days it amuses me that the australian government thinks that by spluging big at U.S. army jumble sales then paying through the nose for spare parts and maintenance from the us that we are anything by a military joke.

I guess no-one spends more on military R&D than the US... but the same amount of our money spent on some R&D of our own (smartly deployed) would pay a much bigger dividend.

Morphonius,

I agree..there is also the problem that not all US Equipment ..new or used is idealy suited to the operating philosophys/strategys of you folks down under or other nations for that matter.

I do know that while the Israelis get our equipment not all of it is suited to thier methods of operation. They either modify it extensively for thier operating philosophy or dont use it in the manner designed. I do know that our air to air missle technology has been found wanting severely in some of their operating categories and they prefer guns for many usages. It is just something that they dont openly advertise to thier best weapons sellers but it is known in the trades.

I expect that the same would apply down under to much of our equipment.

I cannot believe that someone sold you folks on the idea of the F111 Ardvark. A very expensive system to maintian even today. Are they even still in service or have they been withdrawn/retired?

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Morphonius,

I agree..there is also the problem that not all US Equipment ..new or used is idealy suited to the operating philosophys/strategys of you folks down under or other nations for that matter.

I do know that while the Israelis get our equipment not all of it is suited to thier methods of operation. They either modify it extensively for thier operating philosophy or dont use it in the manner designed. I do know that our air to air missle technology has been found wanting severely in some of their operating categories and they prefer guns for many usages. It is just something that they dont openly advertise to thier best weapons sellers but it is known in the trades.

I expect that the same would apply down under to much of our equipment.

I cannot believe that someone sold you folks on the idea of the F111 Ardvark. A very expensive system to maintian even today. Are they even still in service or have they been withdrawn/retired?

Thanks,
Orangetom

It looks like we have 26-28 of them and will have to about 2010...
I thick we are holding our breath for that new joint strike fighter or what ever it is called.
en.wikipedia.org...

join