It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Mind Can't Make its own reality!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
iv seen post on diffrent threads about your mind making its own reality. this can not happen for some simple reasons...
1. your own mind cant make some one call you on the phone after you think that your about to have a conversation on the phone
2. your mind can make your car crash after you see your self have an accedent
3. YOUR MIND DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER TO MINIPULATE OTHER PEOPLE TO DO THOSE THINGS TO YOU

it not your mind making something happen after you think about it. it simply your mind having a premanition, a glimps of whats about to happen that you can not control.

we all have them, wether it someone coming up to you or the world exploding from alien missles(...i dont know)

[edit on 11-3-2007 by ucanneverdie]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
anyone think of this?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I've thought about it, yeah it's trippy. Good thread!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When people say your mind "creates its reality" they aren't necessarily stating they are "making" anyone or anything commit any action. Your perception creates your reality, does it not?How you perceive something is your reality. My perception is not the same as yours.. No,no, not at all. You apparently don't understand the whole concept of "creating your own reality."

[edit on 10-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think you need to investigate this further before you speak.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
By the way, what do you define as "reality?" What most call "reality" has very little substance or substantialness to it at all.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Has anyone ever had the thought that maybe our mind is creating everything?

I mean just think about it, look at what our mind can creates when we dream.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Has anyone ever had the thought that maybe our mind is creating everything?

I am almost convinced of it... Now, that is not to take God out of the equation because God would be the prime consciousness...His thought would have been the first thought to have created. But,yeah, humble, I often think what you propose is true.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
As has been already stated I agree that you should give this more thought and investigation before making responses and when you make a response to a thread.. do it in the thread! Your response did not require making a new thread.
Its rude.
Perception is a hard concept for some people to really understand.
While this has nothing to do with your mind making its own reality it is a response to your statement.
You can make people do things with your mind. Or rather.. some people can.
Not everyone has the ability but it is a form of mental telepathy.. or more precise.. suggestion. You can project a thought into someone elses mind and give them the suggestion to do whatever it is that you focused on them.

I have done this only a few times in my life.. once by accident .. then 3 other times to test it. After that.. I willingly stopped and never did it intentionally again. I don't feel it is right to project your will on someone elses subconscious without their consent. BUT>..... it can be done!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
When people say your mind "creates its reality" they aren't necessarily stating they are "making" anyone or anything commit any action. Your perception creates your reality, does it not?How you perceive something is your reality. My perception is not the same as yours.. No,no, not at all. You apparently don't understand the whole concept of "creating your own reality."

very true.

It is not so much that we create reality but for example: I become exposed to religious (or philosophical, or social, or political) teachings that intrigue me. I look into it further and as I study it I become increasingly convinced that it is right, as a result I start seeing or encountering evidences that reinforce my developing conviction that this world view is true and each evidence builds on the other until I become a convert, a true believer and so I come to see the world through the lens of this conviction. Now, say for whatever reason I become disenchanted with this teaching, the process is reversed, I first start seeing flaws in its reasoning, chinks in its armor as it were and each one builds on the other until I become convinced that this world view is a bunch of hooey, and as such I lose my faith, my conviction.

We go through these steps every single time we take on a new belief system, whether social or political or religious, or even the process of falling in and out of love. We do not create "reality" as it were but we filter what we experince through the lens of our expectations and we build our expectations on what we become convinced is real. It is how our minds process experince... it is called conciousness.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Two people might look at the same glass.

One says, "It is half empty." This is reality to that one person. That person's mind created that reality.

The other says, "It is half full." This is the reality created in the mind of the second person.

I might say, "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be." If I decide to look outside of the box and see things differently, I have created yet another reality. I might even decide to replace the glass with a smaller one. Before I can take that action, I had to think of it in my mind. Therefore, my mind created my reality.

You say tom-ay-toe, I say tom-ah-toe - let's call the whole thing off!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Have a look into solipsism.Its a fascinating subject

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Fascinating, yes. However, I didn't buy it when I studied Descartes, and I can't buy it now. As far as it being a thought experiment, I can certainly see it's merit. As for it being a fully embraceable philosophy, I just can't separate the core of it from egoism. I know there is supposed to be a difference, but I have a hard time grasping that difference.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The late Julian Jaynes describes consciousness in his fascinating (and yes flawed) book "The Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" (1977) as the metaphors with which we describe and interpret the world through.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Fascinating, yes. However, I didn't buy it when I studied Descartes,

You just said a bad word... Descartes
I abhor Cartesian philosophy. I think it represents all things wrong with the world today. Gross materialism.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
OP so? anyone that knows anything about this subject knows one of the rules is you cant affect free will. you should learn more about this before you start topics like this

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Fascinating, yes. However, I didn't buy it when I studied Descartes,

You just said a bad word... Descartes
I abhor Cartesian philosophy. I think it represents all things wrong with the world today. Gross materialism.

not to mention duality and dualistic thinking and reasoning.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
I think you need to investigate this further before you speak.

True.
In fact everything you said OP can be induced.
The only one that I haven't experienced was the car crash one.

EDIT: Yay, spelling errors, my english is terrible today.

[edit on 11/4/2007 by tunin]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think you are talking about two entirely different topics, premontion vs actually creating reality.

So my biggest question is..... why do you believe that premonitions are real, but not believe that people can influence the world?

Whether it is something as underlying as having a dream or ambition and following it (wanting to start a business, be an actress, etc), or actually praying or pleading with the universe to make something happen, I don't see how it is any less credible than premonitions. When you see how interconnected the entire universe is, it isn't so farfetched at all.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The line between premonition and creating reality can seem like a fine line. One might only hope in certain situations that they are not creating reality if something happened merely because they thought about it. If the world and universe was nothing more than a massive hologram simulation with ourselves right in the middle, anything could happen. Especially if some outside source took amusement at reading the thoughts of one of the sims and created reality based on what a particular sim was thinking about on occasion.

I once had a dream where a powerful entity I will call the almost all knowing AI, took amusement at monitoring my thoughts and would alter the reality of the whole world or the universe based on my more unique thoughts.

If you took this to the extreme, you might start wondering if all of reality is a dream in your head and you're really lying on a table in a coma in the real world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join