It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why celebrate Jesus birthday?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Why do we celebrate Jesus birthday on the 25th of december when he wasnt even born on this day?

*EDIT* Sorry if there is already a post on this

[Edited on 23-12-2003 by HazardToxic]

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What season was Jesus said to be born in? I can't remember.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well, that's a rather dicey question....

The 25th is a "commemeration" of his birthday, since there is no specific date given.

The bible (as it so often does) rather contradicts itself when placing Jesus' birth date... If you go by verse, it's off by a few months! If you go by verse explaining that Mary and Joseph were in town for the census/taxes (a crock in my opinion), it would be some time in the fall.

So, Christians "commemerate" his birth on the 25th, not hail it as his birthday

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why 25th of december then? Not some other date?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HazardToxic
Why 25th of december then? Not some other date?

Back in the day, there were many solstace celebrations in europe durring the month of December. Praising all kinds of gods, etc. and the Roman Catholic Church wanted something to compete against this. This way, the pagans made christians wouldn't look longingly at their non-believer friends durring the celebration, they had one of their own. If you'll note, as well, that most of the major religions (jew, christian, and musslim) all have really big holidays in the month of December.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

as well, that most of the major religions (jew, christian, and musslim) all have really big holidays in the month of December.

I hadnt noticed that but thanks for pointing it out and thanks for explaining why it is the 25th we celebrate Jesus' birthday

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Even if I did know what his birthday was I wouldn't give a damn.
I would be more concerned about celebrating my own.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
And I do believe that the 25th of December was originally a holiday for the pagan sun god. But when Julius made all of rome catholic he changed it from the sun god to Jesus christ's birth.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
What season was Jesus said to be born in? I can't remember.

September 11th

www.creationevidence.org...//www.creationevidence.org/fa_questions/122bethlehem.html

Note the following sequence of historical events.

1) Joseph and Mary's journey to Bethlehem for the "census" occurred at the very close of the Jewish civil year--an apt time for a registration of peoples to happen. It was in the summer season and before the rains set in that would have made it difficult.

2) Jesus was born in a stable in the twilight period of September 11th, the Day of Trumpets, 3 B.C.

3) He was circumcised on September 18, 3 B.C. (the eighth day for the circumcision rite is reckoned inclusively).

4) He was dedicated in the temple on October 20/21, 3 B.C.

5) Luke says: They returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth (2:39). This means they did not go to Egypt after the birth of Jesus. After all, they had only gone to Bethlehem for the "census," not to move there. So, the family returned to Nazareth in the latter part of October, 3 B.C.

6) Then for some reason, they decided to move to Bethlehem. This could have been in the Spring or Summer of 2 B.C. They set up house, having no need for the temporary type of shelter they had when Jesus was born (Matthew 2:11). . . .

8) Then on December 25, 2 B.C., when the King planet Jupiter came to its stationary point in mid-Virgo the Virgin, it would have been seen "stopped over Bethlehem" as viewed from Jerusalem. The Magi then went to Bethlehem and gave the child the gifts they brought from the east. Jesus was now a 'paidion' (Greek: toddler) not a 'brephos' (Greek: infant, as in Luke). He was old enough to stand and walk. In the papyrus codex Bodmer V of the Proto-Evangelium of James written in Egypt in the fourth century, it even states that the Magi were able to see Jesus 'standing [italicized in the book] by the side of his mother Mary' (21:3)[cp. Matt. 2:11]. This shows early opinion that the visit of the Magi to give gifts to Jesus was long after his birth. . . .

9) With the warnings of the Magi, Joseph and Mary immediately took Jesus to Egypt in late December of 2 B.C.

10) Immediately after this, Herod killed all the male children 'from two years old and under' (Matthew 2:16). This matter of killing children two years old can now make better sense. If Jesus was born on 11 September, 3 B.C., the slaying of the innocents was about 15 months after his birth. If the conception period were also considered, it comes to 24 months exactly. This may be a helpful clue that Jesus was indeed born in September, 3 B.C. and why the Magi saw Jesus 'standing [italicized in the book] by the side of his mother Mary.'"

and ..

www.redbay.com...

Biblical, chronological, historical and astronomical evidence concerning the birth date of the promised Messiah to Israel, every man's lord and savior, Jesus Christ - points to Wednesday September 11, 3 B.C. between the hours of 6:18 (sunset) and 7:39 (moonset) Palestine time.
Almost every Biblical scholar has known and attested for centuries, that Jesus Christ could not have been born on December 25th. The December festival in Rome known as the Saturnalia, or the Feast of Saturn, celebrating the birth of their sun-god was adopted by the church in Rome as Christ's birth date in the third century. A special mass was instituted and celebrated for Christ. Hence, the name "Christ-mass", abbreviated "Christmas". The pagan celebration and traditions of decorating fir trees, lighting the yule-log, and many other customs associated with Saturnalia were adopted.

The truth of God's Word regarding the events surrounding the birth of Christ in the fall of the year has been lost in the traditions and artistry of pagan and modern celebrations. If we are to truly understand our savior's birth we must study God's Word from its inherent accuracy. We will find that on that September evening the Word of God reports no record of three wise men, drummer boys, or flying angels. We will see the quiet rejoicing of a handful of shepherds, Mary his mother, and Joseph reported in the gospel of Luke. The record of magi from the east following "his star" recorded in Matthew occurred almost a year and a half later and is not the subject of this presentation.

[Edited on 27-12-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   
25th of december is 6 days before newy years, egyptians had a 6 day thing before new year if i'm not mistaken, and horus was born during the 6 days, jesus is sometimes compared to horus

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by banjoechef
25th of december is 6 days before newy years, egyptians had a 6 day thing before new year if i'm not mistaken, and horus was born during the 6 days, jesus is sometimes compared to horus

I've heard about that as well. I must note as well, that there is a site i read recently here. Isis and Horus according to legend, and not that only of Egypt but of other Nations who described them as being tall with blonde hair and pale skin, walking into the land of Egypt as Gods unto the People. I find it interesting that Not only did Jesus study in Egypt for 15 - 20 yrs which are conveniently eliminated from the Bible, but, The Church has always depicted him as having Blonde hair and Blue eyes. Blue and Green eyed people in Egypt were considered Gods. Here is the Link..

www.burlingtonnews.net...

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:26 AM
link   
on the 25th Jesus was born to a big fat jolly guy in a red suit.

top topics

join