It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the deal with the very early Daylight Savings Time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but for as long as ive been alive, this is the earliest "spring ahead", does this have anything to do with the Mayan Calendar, and the alignment of the planets?!? Question for the older members: has this happend b4 or is this the first time? IF this is the first time, it is a big clue to the 2012 countdown where time and vibration level will change!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I believe the reason they want to do it earlier this year has something to do with conserving electricity. Get everyone awake and doing things during the daylight, and you can consume less power.

At least thats the word on the street.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I believe the reason they want to do it earlier this year has something to do with conserving electricity. Get everyone awake and doing things during the daylight, and you can consume less power.

At least thats the word on the street.

That sounds like a huge copout to me, considering al gore started this whole crap and he uses 20X (or something like that) more electricity then the average american. But i guess it makes sense, maybe im just paranoid

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Hey is that this weekend if not when is it?? Thanks

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Yah it was today, i just noticed its an hour later!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Thanks...I still have an hour before it changes..Good thing I logged on to ATS tonight..Because I didn't know about the early date this year..

i

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but for as long as ive been alive, this is the earliest "spring ahead", does this have anything to do with the Mayan Calendar, and the alignment of the planets?!? Question for the older members: has this happend b4 or is this the first time? IF this is the first time, it is a big clue to the 2012 countdown where time and vibration level will change!

Ask Rep. Fred Upton R-Mich and Rep Ed Markey D-Mass who sponsored an ammendment to an energy bill that extends DST by 2 months.

Supposed to save 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It would be a global thing, seeing as alot more countries than just US and Canada perform daylight savings time.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but I for one love that the days are longer. It's kind of depressing driving home from work in the dark.

So I don't see what the problem is... no hidden agenda's, no mayan calendar connection, maybe it really is about conserving energy.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Oh I don't think we thought there was a hidden agenda... at least I didn't.
I think it was more of a curiosity on their part.

Daylight savings time used to be a thing so that farmers could get more work done during the day, and sleep during the night, instead of having part of the day during darkness.

It makes sense that we would use the same system to conserve power. I too like the fact that I'm awake during daylight. Especially seeing as I'm in the second coldest capitol of the world... most don't bother leaving the indoors once it gets dark, gets too cold for my comfort.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I don't think it has anything to do with conserving energy.
I don't see how it will save any enregy either :shrugs:

It's all about marketing and retailing.
More people are likely to shop in daylight hours than dark hours.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I don't think it has anything to do with conserving energy.
I don't see how it will save any enregy either :shrugs:

It's all about marketing and retailing.
More people are likely to shop in daylight hours than dark hours.

As a mod, it surprises me that you don't see how this will conserve energy. Think about it...using lights, etc in your house, office...just think for a minute and you will get it.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Nope, sorry, if I get up and it's dark the lights are on.
Same number of hours per day of darkenss. Same opportunity for lights being used.
The office I worked in had no windows, sooo.
I now work in a greenhouse, and the lighting is determined by the same hors of daylight per day.

Anyway, I some goofy thing in the paper today about the Gold Course Lobbyist thinking this was a great idea. :shrugs:
Also, the mom and pop folks love this becasue people are more likely to go out at 7pm in March if it's still daylight.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
DpntTreadOnMe is right.
Its about increasing what used to be called GDP, but I cant recall what 'they' call it now.
Increasing productivity basicly, more daylight means more time to work, especially for the downtrodden construction/housing market.
Unfortunatly the effects will be minimal on the U.S. economy, but they can fudge the numbers any way they like.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
They should just leave it this way all the time. Its ridiculous that we even spend the money and time to change it twice a year. Leave it alone now, for good.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
yeah, the word has also been around here that it's all about conserving electricity.
i'm ok with it. at least now i'd be more tempted to come home after work and go ride the ridge that surrounds my neighborhood valley on my mountain bike and not drink beer.
it'll be light out!

the dark months kind of get depressing.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Maybe it disrupts certain things like alarm systems, train and plane schedules, ect.., so the global elitist can plot the next big terrorist attacks or currency scams.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I am quite young, maybe not as young as i feel, but i am 25. Question for the older members..... has this ever happened before?!?!?!?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I am quite young, maybe not as young as i feel, but i am 25. Question for the older members..... has this ever happened before?!?!?!?

I've been around about 20 years longer and this is the first change in daylight savings I've seen.
Saskatchewan doesn't have daylight savings time. It's the only place left in North America that ignores it. At least it did last time I looked.
Canada followed suit for trade purposes, so maybe Saskatchewan already has switched.
Isn't it really about money.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i think more than likely it is about the money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join