It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman walks away from baby after giving birth on Oakland street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What is wrong with people? Is this a sign of our overall society in general? California has a safe surrender law. Give birth, bring the child to a fire house or an ER and you can drop them off with NO QUESTIONS ASKED! No police follow up no nothing.

Instead this woman left her child to die on a sidewalk :shk:

After giving birth to a premature baby on an East Oakland street, police say the mother ripped the umbilical cord and walked away Friday afternoon, leaving the newborn boy dead or dying in a puddle of blood.

The 4:39 p.m. incident in the 1400 block of 65th Avenue left witnesses and veteran investigators stunned.
sfgate.com.../c/a/2007/03/09/BAGHMOJ3767.DTL

Safely Surrendered Baby Law

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
That is so horrible, and im guessing its not the first one.

Mod Note: Racist comment removed.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Just reiterates my position for parenting licenses. I know many couples who would have loved to have that baby.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the society-bashers to jump on this and defend that person.

As we say in the South, that person is pure-d trash. Complete waste of
good oxygen.

She should be allowed the same fate she brought upon an innocent child.

Sickened,
Lex

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Before you start saying 'modern society' you need to realize that this was much more common in earlier times. There's much less of it now. But unwanted children were often taken out in the woods or to a hillside and left for the wild animals to eat. You can look the details up for yourself, but they're sad and gruesome.

I suspect she may be a drug addict or perhaps mentally retarded or mentally ill. Dropping your trousers to give birth in public isn't normal behavior. Sexual abuse of mentally ill women or mentally retarded women is very common -- so that may be a component in this.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My, oh my.
Byrd....you never even entered my list of people jumping on the "poor woman" band wagon.

Yes, I realize that in days gone by, this sort of thing occured. Horrible as it
is, small hamlets had no care for single mothers, or orphaned children.

This is 2007. I hope, God I hope our society is beyond accepting this sick
act by giving pitiful excuses.

You "suspect" she may be a drug addict, mentally ill, or retarded.
She gave a false name. That is implication, in my opinion.

I stand by my previous post.

Lex

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I suspect she may be a drug addict or perhaps mentally retarded or mentally ill. Dropping your trousers to give birth in public isn't normal behavior. Sexual abuse of mentally ill women or mentally retarded women is very common -- so that may be a component in this.

I'm betting this is exactly what happened. Considering that someone in their right mind would probably appreciate the amount of blood that comes with child birth, and want to go to the hospital to make sure that they, if not the baby, were okay.

And this isn't a "poor mama" situation Lex, this is a "what could possess someone to do something like that?" situation. Immediate aggression to a topic in which such little information is provided isn't a very wise course of action.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ras,
Drugs will absolutely make a person do something like this.

Do I feel sympathy for a drug addict ?
No. Not at all.

I'm clean for over 17 years. Am I still an addict ? Yes.
Once an addict, always an addict.

Do I see actions of an addict in this "mother" ?
Yes.

Ras, Byrd, I respect you both, more than you can ever know.
When it comes to addicts doing stupid, criminal things, I know the field well. Think of me what you may, but that woman has no right to live.

Lex

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Mental retardation can make someone do something like this too. This is something that they had no control over, and there's nothing that they can do to make themselves better, unlike you.

Insanity can do this to someone as well. Again, given the state of our health care system, this wouldn't be surprising either.

Drugs are a possibility, but we still don't know enough about the case.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ras, thanks for your response, and I agree.
We need to have more info before any definate conclusions can be reached.
I may have let my feelings over-ride my logic.
Thanks for pointing out my error.

Regards,
Lex

new topics

top topics

join