It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I See Words In My Head

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Hello All,

I considered posting this thread in the Education/Media section, but after much consideration, I realized my questions don't really belong there.

This post is about spelling -- actually, it's about the way I spell.

One of my buddies and I instant message each other quite a bit, and I notice she has a problem with spelling. This will probably come off as stuffy, but it irks me; misspellings always have. The funny thing is my friend is a professional writer, but I don't much hold it against her.

Anyway, we talked about my spelling ability. At first she thought I was being smug (a know-it-all) but after awhile, she came to a shocking conclusion: according to my friend, I have some weird sort of Spelling Autism.

According to her, MOST people sound out words. Is this true? I've always seen words in my head. Always -- almost as if they're written on a piece of paper and stored inside my brain. It's a weird trick -- at least according to her -- but it's always made me a pretty good speller. (I won't speak about grammar, lol.)

I don't think my ability to SEE words is about education. I wondered about Phonics versus what I can do, though. I have to admit to feeling horrified when she said, "Most people sound words out, honey. You're special."

Is my friend pulling my leg to shut me up? Do I have some weird sort of "word autism," -- something rare to most people? Since I'm in an anonymous setting, I'll admit something: when I don't know a word's correct spelling (or if I've spelled something incorrectly) I feel it. It's almost as if some kind of dread or unease comes over me. That's why I don't think this is about education. I think this is about something going on in my brain. (Besides, my friend's M.A. trumps my B.A.)

By the way, other than the basics, I'm pretty lost when it comes to mathematics. Could this be a brain hemisphere thing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've tried to start some research on this, but most sources I look up assume this is an educational issue. I don't see it that way. I don't believe anyone's ability to spell has much to do with intelligence. But HOW we spell is very interesting to me.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
That's very interesting - I believe that I have a similar "affliction". Are you able to see spelling mistakes in a text without reading it properly first? Let me explain - when I pick up a printed page, or open a text file, any typos seem to jump off the page at me before I've even started to read it.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Thats interesting. It sounds as though you have a photographic memory. I consider my memory photgraphic as i see words and numbers in my head to remember them. For example at work, i remember companies phone numbers by visualising the company logo which has the number below it. Its quite handy! I also am not so good when it comes to maths but i dont know if this is connected.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Does it happen when people talk to you? What I mean is, if you're having a conversation in person with someone, when they speak do you see the words that they are saying? Not coming out of their mouth, but in your mind kinda like the captions you can turn on on your TV or like a teleprompter? Or is it more of a visualization thing where you think of a word and can see it in your mind?

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoogans
That's very interesting - I believe that I have a similar "affliction". Are you able to see spelling mistakes in a text without reading it properly first? Let me explain - when I pick up a printed page, or open a text file, any typos seem to jump off the page at me before I've even started to read it.

Yes, I can pretty much tell immediately when something is misspelled.

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Thats interesting. It sounds as though you have a photographic memory.

I'd love it if this was true! I never thought of this because I can be pretty forgetful and scatterbrained.

Jenna,

It's more of a visualization thing. If I need a word, I can call it up in my mind. Say I read a magazine article yesterday. I could go back into my mind and pull a word out of the text.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by DunJinn]

[edit on 10-3-2007 by DunJinn]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I tried to edit this stuff in (I'm guessing a photographic memory doesn't mean I'm able to use a forum, lol)

ETA: I'm back because I just found a good article on this topic. Most of us have seen those "F U Cn Raed Tihs" posts. What this article says, though, is that only people who already read well have the ability to grasp it.

Is Spelling Important?

From the article:

Research has determined that 75% of the words in our English language can be spelled phonetically. For the remainder, we must rely on visual recall. However, we must have a good command of phonics, syllabication and the various ways to spell these sounds in order to be able to spell words easily. Unless a person has a photographic memory, it is impossible to picture all words in a whole word format fashion in order to read and spell them.

As for the question the article asks, I'm gonna say NO. Today, spelling doesn't seem important at all. We seem to be moving more and more into a kind of shorthand; I know the internet has a lot to do with it.

When reading message boards, I notice that there are some words that are almost universally misspelled. Take definitely. I've seen it spelled definately so many times -- even in places where it surprised me -- that the misspelled version might as well be a type of shorthand. There are several other words that get this treatment, but definitely (definately) is my favorite. I ranted to my friend, "How can they not SEE that this is misspelled?"

She replied, "Many of us don't know. Most of us don't care."

I think it's becoming like an OCD thing now.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think it's not pretty rare (that is, your ''ability'' is not very rare).
Or is it just because I have a similiar thing?
I don't know, but your friend is true in either way.

Most (teenagers at least) people don't really care about spelling on the internet.
(Just look at 'leetspeak', abbreviations for normal words, and the such)

So I'd say you're just more mature than them

But then again, I claim to have many many abilities which I would count as ''weird'', and the visualization of words, is not one of them.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
I think it's not pretty rare (that is, your ''ability'' is not very rare).
Or is it just because I have a similiar thing?
I don't know, but your friend is true in either way.

Most (teenagers at least) people don't really care about spelling on the internet.
(Just look at 'leetspeak', abbreviations for normal words, and the such)

So I'd say you're just more mature than them

But then again, I claim to have many many abilities which I would count as ''weird'', and the visualization of words, is not one of them.

I'm more worried about the fact that not spelling something correctly makes me feel...agitated. But the more I read, I'm starting to think this might have something to do with some sort of obsessive compulsion. Otherwise, why would I feel *panicked* when I misspell something? Why is it that I immediately know -- especially when evidence shows me that many other people don't know they're spelling a word improperly?

I don't think it's an ability or anything special. If it were, I'd be using it for evil. It might not be *rare* but I don't know if it's that common, either.

See, when I talk about misspellings, I'm not talking about switching the *e* in receive with the *i*. That's all too common. I'm not talking about people who don't have English as a first language (though these people are often BETTER spellers). Or even those occasions when we mistakenly use *where* when we really meant *wear* or even *were.*

I'm talking about words made up out of whole-cloth -- words that have never been and will never be--well, words--but people writing them anyway, because they *sound* correct. I see this consistently--on a daily basis. It made me wonder how people processed words--why some of us can keep them in our memory banks, while others can look at a word--hundreds of times in their lifetimes--and forget it. Later on, when they need this word, they'll CREATE a spelling to fit their need. (It's super-geeky of me, I know. But it doesn't stop me from wondering. In this day of mass communication, why create a word? Especially when you're on the internet? When the correct spelling is a mouse-click away?)

I guess at the end of this thread, it all comes down to nerd-speak--the thing I was most afraid of. I KNOW there's an answer, and the photographic memory thing seems closest. Except, wouldn't I be able to do the same thing with numbers?

Something tells me it might be something as simple as processing; I also suspect a lot of this about desire. I have no desire to become a mechanic, therefore, I can't fix my car very well. Perhaps I learned to process (retain?) words because I love to read and write.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Quite possible indeed.
I can't remember stuff if I study for a test.

But I could tell you how to bomb the world and conquer Luxembourgh in an attempt to create a new Utopia, or theories on special science stuff and the like.

Though that's more based on interest, you remember what you like, and what you don't like, you don't bother remembering.

Also if you like something you're more prone to get the same info over and over again, and thus, remember it for a longer time than when you just look at something once, and don't pay attention.

Eg.: I learned the "Army Alphabet"(Army Alphabet Phonetics? whatever it's called) within 5 minutes.

I also remember like 200+ dreams that I had,
whilst it would take extreme action to make me remember who got killed in 1958 during the conference of Judas, even though I had to read something about it at school. (just making up some random event).

So i'd indeed blame it on either interest or an obsession (an obsession with spelling properly?)

And the people that create the spelling mistakes most often.
They probably don't care, and make up new words for words they have forgotten. (Or just think it's fun / try to be hip)

[edit on 11/3/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Im kinda hit or miss with respect to spelling, and definitely don't see the words as you do, but I'm able to do something similar, especially with phone numbers. If I write a phone number down on a piece of paper I can usually visualize the number on the original paper. I can remember that the paper was yellow, lined, sticky note pad, etc..

The funny thing is that I try to do the same thing with people's names, because I'm really bad at remembering names, and it doesn't work as well at all. I say them to myself after an introduction, write them down if I'm talking to someone new on the phone, and I just don't get the same result. I'm really good at remembering faces, even ones hidden under years of aging since the last time I saw them. I'm also really good with voice recognition, but names are really tough for me.

This makes me wonder if this is an inherant ability that cannot be expanded upon, or learned at all for that matter.

Good thread!

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Its funny, because i can visualise everything, but when it comes to words, and thinking about their meaning+spelling, i just cant do it..

I visualise when im playing the guitar or drawing, i see in my head where i want to go...but with language its different. To be fair, im rubbish at languages, more of a logic/creative thinker.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2PacSade
Im kinda hit or miss with respect to spelling, and definitely don't see the words as you do, but I'm able to do something similar, especially with phone numbers. If I write a phone number down on a piece of paper I can usually visualize the number on the original paper. I can remember that the paper was yellow, lined, sticky note pad, etc..

SNIPPED

This makes me wonder if this is an inherant ability that cannot be expanded upon, or learned at all for that matter.

Good thread!

2PacSade-

Me, too! I kind of "scan" articles I've read and lift words from them. It's weird. I just assumed everyone else had this ability.

Yes, from the replies I've read, I'm beginning to think it's all in how our brains are set up. There are certain things that I just CAN'T do well -- no matter how hard I try to grasp it.

I think it's good. We're all different in so many ways. The ways we think and process information should be different, too. Like I said, I do NOT have the same ability in math, lol. I'm so lost when it comes to numbers.
In fact, numbers make me a bit nervous. Wish I was better at math and formulas, because many people think they are the key to cracking the code of the universe.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Lol it's called "thinking", sometimes I have headaches with pictures, thats called an "idea".

But seriously, it's called an "industrial mind" or something along those lines. By memory, it means you have trouble saying what you're thinking, but no problem coming up with the idea or putting it into practice. Symptoms often include bad grammar, confusion while talking/listening and often the people with it are extremely good readers/writers.

It's nothing to worry about, it actually means you're quite smart.

There's only one thing to worry about, it could also mean you're bipolar, so I would get yourself checked by a doctor, my brother was showing symptoms, so my parents had him checked out, and the tests were fairly straight forward.

Hope you find out what it is.

[edit on 13/03/07 by MAD Hatt3r]

[edit on 13/03/07 by MAD Hatt3r]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I'll be the first to admit I don't always spell words correctly.But, like you when reading I always notice the mistakes jump right out at me.I also am really no good with numbers.I do recall in school however that some words are spelled differently depending on where you live.example:I live in Canada and we spell"colour" with a "u".We were told that "color" was an American spelling of the word and because we were Canadian not to forget the"u".

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
What Jenna said about seeing words like subtitles, when in conversation, is something I do. I was just wondering if there was a name for it or what it means etc.

Dae

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DunJinn
I'm more worried about the fact that not spelling something correctly makes me feel...agitated. But the more I read, I'm starting to think this might have something to do with some sort of obsessive compulsion. Otherwise, why would I feel *panicked* when I misspell something? Why is it that I immediately know -- especially when evidence shows me that many other people don't know they're spelling a word improperly?

Dont worry about the autism or OCC. I think everybody has various traits of various things, you have a handy autistic trait with spelling. Me? My autistic trait is crap, I cant wear clothes that has a horrible feel on my skin, I prefer soft over scratchy fabric. A friend could try on a top and think it looks lovely - no issues, I try it on and it looks lovely on me too but it feels 'scratchy' I cant wear it, or if I do it will drive me up the wall. Another one, repetitive games can relax me when I feel a lot of stress or if I dont get enough 'alone time' I will play them to get 'zoned'.

Ive had issues with spelling for many years and Ive been working on it for the past 5. I spell terribly because I speed read, always have done. When I read I just see the shapes of the words and recognise them that way and I will have no idea on how its spelt. When filling out a crossword I would have to write out the shape of the word and see how I spelt it! This is problematic as you know lots of letters have similar shapes, especially vowels!

You may be hard pressed to find spelling errors in my posts but get me into chat/instant messaging and I flounder, probably come off not unlike your friend; bad spelling but a decent writer!

On a side note a dictionary helps when you have some idea how a word is spelt.... there was one word that had me completely stumped once and I was so embarrassed as I could not think what came after the next letter, I tried and tried! The word was 'guess'. I had to phone someone up to ask them!

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'll have to say that I'm not a brainiac with words( bein' able to see them in my head), but at least I know how to read and write
.The only thing I could say that I'm pretty good at and see them flowin' in my head has to be with numbers(doin'calculations and anything else related to that). Another reason I'm not that much of a "smarty" in spellin' could be that I speak spanish and I draw pretty good. It's exactly like what DunJinn said about on his first post of bein' blessed with some stuff and not bein' 100% perfect in everything. If we all were perfect the world would be a safer place and we wouldn't have people that steal,kill,or make you have to look over ya shoulder when ya walk down the block.Everyone would have a job or be a CEO of some company and wouldn't have to be livin' off "government cheese". (Hope ya all have a great day )

[edit on 30-7-2007 by steve-o]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Just out of interest were you born prematurely or had any major operations (with general anaesthetic)?

Many people who were born 'wrong' (myself included) have 'gifts' that are caused by brain damage - for example, there is research that links brain damage caused by lack of oxygen or low growth to things like advanced visualisation (ability to see things in 3D in your head), photographic memories, and other mental conditions link strangely into having 'superhuman' cognitive abilities like being a polymath or that rare form of autism that causes brilliance in certain subjects (can't think what its called atm sorry).

I was born very prematurely, but have always been able to read extremely fast and remember what I read, and had a reasonably good command of the English language, but ALWAYS been terrible at maths.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Question for the good spellers.

Are you any good with math?
I've notice that most spellers who are really good at it have a hard time with math. Ok, spellers seem to be ok with math, and bad spellers do really well with math.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ebe51
Question for the good spellers.

Are you any good with math?
I've notice that most spellers who are really good at it have a hard time with math. Ok, spellers seem to be ok with math, and bad spellers do really well with math.
I don't suppose I can spell everything, but I've always been a good speller & fast too, but hate it if I make a mistake, especially on a forum where you can't edit. I also get annoyed at my use of commas and it can get obsessive. With spelling it's kind of like the letters are immediately there in a queue, ready to be spoken out, but I don't SEE them. I think if you can SEE the words as you're speaking or writing them it could be a type of synesthesia. I have a very slight form of that and I think most people probably do. In my case I've always had a gender for each letter and when I was small I had a colour for each one too. Same with numbers from 1 to 10. I've seen some folk with synesthesia who have the ability to see rows of numbers in front of them in tens. They start near the ground and go upwards, then the higher numbers are around to the right etc. Other folk see sounds, or feel tastes. By the way, I'm absolutely rubbish at maths. If you asked me a sum my brain would just freeze. I'm left-handed too. Just thought I'd throw that in as there might be a connection. Are other left-handed folk rubbish at math?

[edit on 1-8-2007 by wigit]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join