It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mindreading Technique: Uses MRI Brain Scans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

New Mindreading Technique: Uses MRI Brain Scans

www.cbc.ca

In the past, scientists had been able to detect decisions about making physical movements before those movements appeared. But researchers at Berlin's Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience claim they have now, for the first time, identified people's decisions about how they would later do a high-level mental activity - in this case, adding versus subtracting.

"The fact that we can determine what intention a person is holding in their mind pushes the level of our understanding of subjective thought to a whole new level," said Dr. Paul Wolpe, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, who was not connected to the study.

"These technologies, for the first time, give us a real possibility of going straight to the source to see what somebody is thinking or feeling, without them having any ability to stop us," said Dr. Hank Greely, director of Stanford University's Center for Law and the Biosciences.

"The concept of keeping your thoughts private could be profoundly altered in the future," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
"The concept of keeping your thoughts private could be profoundly altered in the future."

Can you imagine?

Being arrested for a crime before you break the law, on the grounds that you fantasized about maybe doing it in another lifetime?

Or maybe, getting arrested for treason because you thought about impeaching the President?

It's a First Strike policy, to be based on a Minority Report, directed against civilians.

"The president's strategy affirms that the doctrine of preemption remains sound and must remain an integral part of our national security strategy," Hadley said. "If necessary, the strategy states, under longstanding principles of self defense, we do not rule out the use of force before attacks occur, even if uncertainty remains as to the time and place of the enemy's attack."

No surprises here.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Haha they will just end up arresting people then making fake minority reports as evidence.

"Oh yeah he was going to become a terrorist in a few years so, uhh, yeah we locked him up and threw away the key"

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Haha they will just end up arresting people then making fake minority reports as evidence.

"Oh yeah he was going to become a terrorist in a few years so, uhh, yeah we locked him up and threw away the key"

I suspect you're right.

Anti-terrorist laws are designed to allow heavy abuse - and 'fake minority reports' are the perfect cover.

I do know that this techonolgy is MUCH further along than we're told - and suspect that we're being set up for another "breakthrough" that "promises to change our legal system."

...This news release being a trial balloon to test the waters. Kind of an opinion poll to see if people will buy it.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I wonder if it reads the conscious mind or subconscious mind. If it is the subconscious we are all pretty screwed there. If it is the conscious mind there is a way to beat it out, with training of course. Much like a lie dectector test, there would be techniques of beating it. Subconscious you can't control though so that would be impossible to beat I would imagine.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

I wonder if it reads the conscious mind or subconscious mind.

Seems to me this technology either blurs or ignores the distinction - it deals with analysis, thereby presuming "intention," and in practical application, ignores the complexity of process in decision-making.

new topics

top topics

join