It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange buildings in Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
While bored in work I came across this very strange building in Baghdad. I've been all over the net but can't find at all what this could be. The 2nd picture especially looks very symbolic:

Wide view:

Close up of symbolic looking area:

Close up of strange building:

Close up of airfield nearby - this reminds me of a crop circle:

Any suggestions??

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I don't know what it is, but I do know that Saddam was notorious for using public funds to build extraordinary buildings, structures and mansions. Every year he would have a gigantic mansion built as a birthday gift to himself. I also know that after the first Gulf War, Saddam suddenly became a "good muslim" to gain more support from his people. He built some fancy mosques and monuments as a result. It's hard to tell just from an arial shot without the aid of 3D, but this could be anykind of structure. Unless someone on here has been to Baghdad or can find better pictures of this structure then I doubt you'll ever figure out what it really is. Maybe you can try finding e-mail addresses for soldiers or anyone else that may be in Baghdad at the moment, and ask them what it is.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
To my mind it can be explained by Saddam's excentricity, having stuff built there and there. But I guess it can be the remains of bigger structures which construction was interrupted by lack of funds or a big good GBU during Desert Storm I or II. The structure of these buildings is amazing, showing that even the baddest guys have sometimes a touch of good taste.
Anyway, don't think about esoteric symbols, this is such an easy answer when you see geometric stuff.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here you go:

Baghdad Monuments
During the 1970's and 1980's money from oil revenues was allocated to building of new monuments in Baghdad. Saddam Hussein laid out new ceremonial avenues and ordered large monuments raised at the city's major intersections. He has built two victory arches in the capital, an unknown soldier's tomb, a martyrs' memorial and dozens of small statues and fountains. An amusement park is located at the martyr's memorial, a playground is next to the triumphal arches, and a theater is located within the complex of the triumphal arches. According to Kanan Makiya [writing under the pen name Samir Al-Khalil], author of The Monument: Art, Vulgarity and Responsibility in Iraq (1991), many of Iraq's war memorials were commissioned before the supposed victories they celebrate were even declared.

The aircraft are obviously also part of the monument, or an air museum of sorts, since they are not near any sort of airport.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
That "strange building" is the Monument of the Unknown Soldier.
It's one of many monuments erected in memory of the Iran-Iraq war.

And I can't say I'll ever be surprised by the architecture in a place like Iraq. It is Iraq, after all.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by alexg]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by alexg
That "strange building" is the Monument of the Unknown Soldier.
It's one of many monuments erected in memory of the Iran-Iraq war.

And I can't say I'll ever be surprised by the architecture in a place like Iraq. It is Iraq, after all.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by alexg]

Excellent Alex! Thanx for that. It's totally different seeing it horizontally and it's much moe beautiful as well. Quite a lot of the buildings i've spotted in Iraq are architecturally amazing and wonderful to look at. I just hope we haven't wrecked too many of them! It's such a shame the National Museum of Iraq was looted.

There's some interesting info on the Monument on the Unknown soldier here

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's strange how dictators always go in for big monuments and public buildings.

Stalin... amazing buildings, monuments and the Moscow Metro.

Hitler... the Reich Air Ministry, Reich Chancellory, the plans for rebuilding Berlin as Germania.

Nicolae Ceausescu of Rumania and the "Peoples Palace".

Even Enver Hoxha of Albania had his mauseleum, including a museum dedicated to him, built like a big pyramid in central Tirane. Nowadays kids slide down the outside of its marble clad walls!

I suppose absolute power makes them want to make big public statements, showing how powerful they and their regime/country are.

regards

beagle

pip pip !!

new topics

top topics

join