It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunlight Alters The Rotation Of Asteroids!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Sunlight Alters The Rotation Of Asteroids!

www.cnn.com

The idea is the sun's heat serves as a propulsion engine on the irregular features of an asteroid's surface. "YORP can accelerate or decelerate the rotation rate," Mikko Kaasalainen of the University of Helsinki in Finland said by e-mail.

When sunlight hits the asteroid, the solar energy is absorbed and then radiated back into space. When the asteroid is not spherical, this can create a push off parts of its surface that alters its spin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I find it interesting that energy from the sun actually effects the rotation of asteroids. I'm curious as to whether it can also alter the flight path of an asteroid as well. If so could something like a "gigantic magnifying glass" or a strong laser be used to alter the path so it would no longer be a threat to earth?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This has been known for a long time. One of the methods of actually deflecting an NEO that has been proposed is to paint it white or black depending on the situation. It wouldn't be regular paint though heh. This is the basic prinicipal of a solar sail.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
This has been known for a long time. One of the methods of actually deflecting an NEO that has been proposed is to paint it white or black depending on the situation. It wouldn't be regular paint though heh. This is the basic prinicipal of a solar sail.

I didn't know that. Pretty cool. Thanks for the info!

top topics

join