It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People have Faith in Aliens/UFO's why not God?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Ashley, you've got your semantics all mixed up. No one here has FAITH in UFO's -- like you, they believe that UFO's exist but believing that something exists has nothing whatsoever to do with having FAITH in something.

For example, Catholics, have FAITH in Jesus.
Many ATS members BELIEVE that there are such things as UFO's because they have seen them.
But just because these members believe that UFO's exist, does not mean that they have FAITH in UFO's where they worship and pray to UFO's... Hope this helps.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by Palasheea
Where's the website that you found that quote on? You did not include the URL of the page that you found that quote on. Thanks

Here's a photo of that marian apparition that appeared continuously for 3 years in the late 1960's over a Coptic Church in Zeiton, Egypt.

BTW, half my family are Evangelistic/Fundamentalist Christians and they believe Marian apparitions are actually demons posing as religious figures.

The pic you posted is clearly fake. Posting it twice does not make it real.

Here is the site. www.csicop.org...

No!
The photo is not fake. Sorry to burst your bubble.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I find it interesting the amount of emotion people but into disproving God. They get very angry and visibly upset when the topic is brought up. Unlike other things they don't believe to be true.

Typically when someone doesn't believe in something or they believe something to be rubbish they laugh or don't comment.

When it comes to God, people get visibly upset and angry. They almost go the extra mile to disprove the idea.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Faith doesn't mean you pray or worship something.

Faith means you have a belief in something that you cant necessarily see or feel.

dictionary.reference.com...

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Ashley_T]

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Ashley_T]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
Its not easy to say who should be erased. this is why we are allowed to make choices. Man is the guilty one here not God.
I think we can all agree baby/child rape is bad, so whats the excuse for allowing this to happen? The baby/child cannot deserve it so either god is evil, he doesn't think it is bad or there is no god at all.

No doubt you will come back with some dross that wont address the facts.

God made us. he gave us rules on how to live our lives. Man murders, rapes and robs,
Say God decided to interfere, He stops the rapes, murders, stops robbery, Stops greed so we can all eat. Then he stops people from saying hurtfull things. where does he stop, soon we all become robots. the other option is free will, thats what we have.
I don't thik that is dross, do you?
John

[edit on 8-3-2007 by jon1]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashley_T
I find it interesting the amount of emotion people but into disproving God. They get very angry and visibly upset when the topic is brought up. Unlike other things they don't believe to be true.

Typically when someone doesn't believe in something or they believe something to be rubbish they laugh or don't comment.

When it comes to God, people get visibly upset and angry. They almost go the extra mile to disprove the idea.
You havent read these forums very long yet, have you?

When people post things that are clearly false (ie crappy pics claiming proof of aliens or miracle or claiming to be in contact with aliens) people always jump in to prove it false. To me, people saying they believe in god have the same credibility as people who say they have purple pixies at the foot of their garden. They have zero evidence to support their arguement.

Visibly upset? Are you any good at remote viewing?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You say that people beleive/have faith in god but people shouldnt have faith in or beleive in aliens because their is noproof of them yet their is no direct poroof in god himself except for a book that could have been written by an old woman tellin bedtime stoies to her grandchildren

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

God made us. he gave us rules on how to live out lives. Man murders, rapes and robs,
Say God decided to interfere, He stops the rapes, murders, stops robbery, Stops greed so we can all eat. Then he stops people from saying hurtfull things. where does he stop, soon we all become robots. the other option is free will, thats what we have.
John
Yes I do, you are justifying god allowing baby rape because he is too stupid to know the difference between violent acts against children and hurting someones feelings. If there was a god, Id hope hed be more intelligent than the one you believe in.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
disagreeing with people having faith in aliens because they have no proof contridicts why you say you beleave in god

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashley_T

Ashley, just worry about yourself and not if anybody else out there believes in what you do or not. That's not of your concern.

But on the other hand, if you yourself are questioning the existence of God or if you are questioning the validity of the Bible and your religion, then a lot of people in that position go overboard and try to actively
persuade and convince others that their belief system is the only true religion out there --Where they try with all their might to convert others to their religion as this in turn has the effect of validating that religion that they believe in to themselves -- at least for a little while. But once that euphoria dies off, then they are out there again pushing the bible on everyone to try to win more converts. It's a never ending on-going cycle and I've seen many people caught in that trap until they finally wake up one morning and find out that even though they may have religion, they have no spirituality....
They find themselves experiencing a deep, deep primordial emptyness because all they've been doing all those years was worshiping a book! That's just another form of idolatry which has nothing to do with true belief in God and the importance spirituality plays in ones life and relationship with God, man and the universe.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

God made us. he gave us rules on how to live out lives. Man murders, rapes and robs,
John
Yes I do, you are justifying god allowing baby rape because he is too stupid to know the difference between violent acts against children and hurting someones feelings. If there was a god, Id hope hed be more intelligent than the one you believe in.

I am not justifying any such thing. if you understood my post correctly, i am saying that God does not interfere. he lets us make our own choices. most people make good ones but sadly some dont.
You should not take your anger or frustration out on God just because you don't understand him.
Why don't you try to learn more about him. He is not as stupid as you think.
John

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You compel me to drink a few beers and post my thoughts on origins of religion and why the weak minded and gullible need to believe in a higher power. But for now I will leave you with this:

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Lecter]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I am not justifying any such thing. if you understood my post correctly, i am saying that God does not interfere. he lets us make our own choices. most people make good ones but sadly some dont.
You should not take your anger or frustration out on God just because you don't understand him.
John
Im not angry or frustrated, Im perfectly content knowing god doesnt exist.

He doesn't interfere because he isn't there. If there was a god, he wouldn't allow these things to happen.

How many people here would stand by and let someone rape a baby/child because they don't want to interfere? Thats the lamest of lame reasons for justifying allowing these acts to happen.

You have no argument, either god is not there or he is there and hes evil. Just as either one of us is not present at a act of child rape or is there and is evil for allowing it to happen.

Also, how do you know what god thinks?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
For me, the message is only as good as the messenger. I have read many books and watched many documentaries that explore ancient times. I've read a lot about how religion was initially utilized by those in power to keep their people in check. The authorities learned very quickly that by aligning yourself with God, you could say and do anything, and be above reproach. Of course, people didn't lose their faith back then. Why? Because it was an offense punishable by death in some cases, wasn't it?

Today, I imagine people lose their faith because science is much more "fleshed out" and logical than it once was. We can prove that gravity exists, why, and how it is applied. We can prove the Strong Nuclear force that holds together the particles in an atom, or the Weak Nuclear force that accounts for radiation. We still can't prove God, however.

Lastly, i'm sure many people not only lose their faith but moreover, they find contempt for the church when they find so many stories about priests who have molested children. These are the messengers of our God, and they are waging wars across the planet, taking advantage of our children, etc.

I am not going to sit here and tell you that God seeks to wage war across the earth, or that God wants to molest children. But I will tell you that the messengers of many of the religions of the world have perverted the purity it may have once represented. There's no perversion in science.

My belief in God is equal with my belief in UFO's. I believe God does exist in some fashion, and i imagine UFO's could very well exist also. I haven't seen a UFO, none of the "evidence" out there has been near enough to convince me to even look deeper.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

John
Im not angry or frustrated, Im perfectly content knowing god doesnt exist.

He doesn't interfere because he isn't there. If there was a god, he wouldn't allow these things to happen.

How many people here would stand by and let someone rape a baby/child because they don't want to interfere? Thats the lamest of lame reasons for justifying allowing these acts to happen.

You have no argument, either god is not there or he is there and hes evil. Just as either one of us is not present at a act of child rape or is there and is evil for allowing it to happen.

Also, how do you know what god thinks?

You say if there was a god he would not let these things happen. I have explained why. but you would rather not believe me and call him evil.
How do I know what god thinks. I have read the bible and i have a relationship with him. He has used me in many situations but we won't go there because you don't have any understanding of him. If you can't understand what I have told you already you have no chance with anything else.
This is the way it has always been though hasn't it. believers v non believers.
Nice talking to you though.
John

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

You say if there was a god he would not let these things happen. I have explained why. but you would rather not believe me and call him evil.
So would you stop a child rape in your presence or ignore it because you don't want to interfere? Answer, yes or no.

After all, that's what your god wants and that is what you yourself said.

Theres only 3 possible answers for humans.
You dont see the rape and so cannot stop it. (ie there is no god)
You see the rape and stop it (ie what god doesnt do and something that could prove his existence)
You see the rape and let it happen (ie you are and evil person)

After all, that's what your god wants and that is what you yourself said. You are telling me that god has no judgement skills at all.

How do I know what god thinks. I have read the bible and i have a relationship with him. He has used me in many situations but we won't go there because you don't have any understanding of him.
The bible was not written by god.

If you can't understand what I have told you already you have no chance with anything else.
This is the way it has always been though hasn't it. believers v non believers.
Nice talking to you though.
John
I understand what you are saying but you dont seem to comprehend what I am saying.

Answer the questions and dont just use the same old condescending excuses. But you wont answer because you cannot admit there isnt a god or that he is evil.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Belief in God is tiresome...mostly cuz of Christianity and the bad image christians give. Maybe if Christians werent so condemning
and hypocritical, more people would WANT to follow God (not be scared into following God) I think alot of people believe in God, maybe not so much the God preached, but some form of a higher power.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's so funny when people who ramble on and on about the validity of science -- and that there is no God and that they don't believe in God yet, they are completely oblivious to the fact that they do believe in God and that God is called Science. They have placed all of their belief and faith in Science; it's their religion and it's their god. So for these people to say that they do not believe in God, that's simply not true. The only difference between their god and the God of Christianity or Judiasm, for example, is that those whose religion is science, can see their god whereas those other Gods that are connected to religious belief systems are mostly invisible. This is the main basic difference between the God of Science that God of religion.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I actually agree with Palasheea in the above post.

Science and God are one in the same.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think that perhaps the reason more and more decide not to believe in God, is because it is only a belief, a faith.

It's kind of like Santa Claus in a way, you get to a certain age and you know he is not real so why believe in Santa any longer?

With religion, every different culture has a different creation myth. Not one is the same. Thus, the orgin of religions can easily be traced back to when humans first started to believe in an afterlife (probably due to ego) as evidenced by the first known burials thousands and thousands of years ago. Obviously religion has evolved(as does everything else) greatly from those times. So you see, religion can really be pinned down as nothing more than faith, and as I said, it seems people are moving towards choosing not to believe in fantasy.

UFO'S are really more in the scientific relm so I see these as two totally different issues, no need to compare contrast them because you really can't, they are two different subjects. When talking about just the sheer size of the universe, it's a high scientific probability that the universe is teeming with life, couple that with physics theorys that say, a civilization much more advanced than ours would have no problem traversing the stars and bingo, the physical craft that have been seen in the skys for thousands of years doing manuvers impossible for us to accomplish start to make sense to us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join