It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Navy Sailor Charged With Passing Secrets to Al Qaeda in 2001

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Former Navy Sailor Charged With Passing Secrets to Al Qaeda

abcnews.go.com

March 7, 2007 — A former U.S. Navy sailor has been charged with allegedly passing military secrets about U.S. Navy movements through waters in the Middle East to al Qaeda-related Web sites during the spring of 2001, just months after the USS Cole was attacked in Yemen.

Hassan Abujihaad, formerly known as Paul R. Hall, allegedly passed information about U.S. Navy warship movements in the Straits of Hormuz in April 2001 while he was a member of the Navy. The information passed along contained details about vulnerabilites of U.S. vessels — including susceptibility to small boat attacks by terrorists.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-3-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Developing, breaking story.

Navy Sailor, military secrets, 2001, Al Qaeda.

Conspiracy Theorists?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Obviously, there was a conspiracy, if only of silence.

If he's guilty, I hope they fry his butt.

[edit on 2007/3/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Former Navy Sailor Charged With Passing Secrets to Al Qaeda

abcnews.go.com

March 7, 2007 — A former U.S. Navy sailor has been charged with allegedly passing military secrets about U.S. Navy movements through waters in the Middle East to al Qaeda-related Web sites during the spring of 2001, just months after the USS Cole was attacked in Yemen.

Hassan Abujihaad, formerly known as Paul R. Hall, allegedly passed information about U.S. Navy warship movements in the Straits of Hormuz in April 2001 while he was a member of the Navy. The information passed along contained details about vulnerabilites of U.S. vessels — including susceptibility to small boat attacks by terrorists.

(visit the link for the full news article)

If he's guilty, no mercy. Most bombs don't discriminate. (USS Cole)
Passing on of this type of information is criminal. Surprising how much info you can learn from various news sources though??

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I think stories like this are a distraction.

And honestly, I do not buy this one.

US sailor arrested on spying charge

The complaint alleged that Abujihaad sent several e-mails to members of Azzam while he was on active duty in the Middle East and stationed aboard the USS Benfold, a ship in the battle group whose movements were disclosed.

The emails were recovered in a December 2003 search by British police of the London home of Babar Ahmad, a British national linked to Azzam.

HELLO there mister SPY?!?!

How dumb do you have to be in order to send E-mails, which you know, that can sooner or later get you behind bars? That is the definition of Stupid! I am sure there are ways of getting that kind of informaton through, without sending an E-mail.

I don't know - smells fishy to me...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Updating this thread with new news:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The trial of a former Navy sailor on terrorism charges promises to offer a glimpse into how prosecutors say an American serviceman communicated with suspected terrorists over the Internet while on duty and leaked information that could have doomed his own ship.

Prosecutors, defense attorneys and spectators began arriving at the U.S. District Courthouse about an hour before the trial was to begin about 9 a.m. Monday.

Prosecutors allege that Hassan Abu-Jihaad sent details of the location and vulnerabilities of a Navy battle group to suspected terrorism supporters in London.

www.foxnews.com...

An interesting aspect to this case:

Prosecutors also hope to bolster the case by playing intercepted phone calls to show what they say is Abu-Jihaad's coded speech and obsession with security. Authorities said Abu-Jihaad spoke of "hot meals" and "cold meals" in conversations with associates to refer to intelligence that would be useful to strike American military targets.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Developing, breaking story.

Navy Sailor, military secrets, 2001, Al Qaeda.

Conspiracy Theorists?

As I've been saying all along. Secret operatives in well placed positions helped 9/11 to happen.

Glad to see they haven't stopped "investigating".

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - A former Navy sailor has been convicted of leaking details of ship movements to suspected terrorism supporters.

Jurors were in their second day of deliberations when they convicted Hassan Abu-Jihaad of Phoenix of providing material support to terrorists and disclosing classified national defense information.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

It's not just Telecomms:

Abu-Jihaad was prosecuted in New Haven because the investigation first focused on a Connecticut-based Internet service provider.

It will be interesting to see what his sentence will be.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerontehe
It will be interesting to see what his sentence will be.

Here's hoping he gets the max (25 years). Too bad they can't get him for a treason charge.

There is no defense for scum like this.

I wonder how much longer we have till code pink thanks him?

new topics

top topics

join