It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
this another BS... are you telling me that a MASS. Smokey is gonna stand there while your friend calls the registry and his lawyer? Riiight...
Peddle your BS somewhere else, Alpha Grey.

jsobecky....... a trooper or cop CANNOT stop you from calling someone on the phone....SHOW ME A LAW THAT SAYS OTHERWISE !!

Personally.....I dont give a rats ass what you think or believe...obviously you were not there and I know what happened...you DO NOT on the other hand......go pick a fight with someone else.......my posts were for the OP and I was not lying...yes I was wrong about the law for safety inspections (which they changed and told no one) big deal...get over it baby......like you were never wrong about something right Mother Teresa ?? Little Miss Perfect are you huh ??

If I wanted an intelligent fight....you would be the last I would choose.

Peace Out !!

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Recently I read a book called 'Cop Hunter' by Vincent Murano, who was a New York Detective with the Internal Affairs.. good book that shows that there are bad cops and good cops..
Personally I would never judge a person by others actions.. If an officer treats me #ty than so be it, I will have a bad taste for 'that' officer.. but I will always expect to be treated professionally by an officer.. They have been given the sword with a purpose and a reason.. I also think that the amount of good officers far exceed those that are crooked.. at least I think we are doing better today than we were at any time in history. Dont let one man/womans attitude or actions make you judge all men the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Do I hate cops? Nope. But R.C.M.P. officers can kiss my arse!

Kidding of course. Maybe some of my fellow Canadian members can appreciate that. ...Maybe?

As for the population that have a problem with cops, I think it is more of an issue with any authority figure than it is cops themselves. We see a strong percentage of younger people having a serious problem with police, authority, etc., and it is obvious that this is a trickle down effect from their parents. We are not born with a distaste for police, so where does it come from? And I mean, talk about thankless job. When is there ever a time when you are happy to deal with the police? You are either a victim or an offender, and both tend to "suck". Victims are upset about the wrongdoing they have endured, offenders are upset that they have been caught, even witnesses can be pissed off because they surely have something better to do. Everybody screams for justice, but nobody wants to play their part.

Some even go as far to have this naive assumption that we would be better off without them. ...Right. They are just like you and I. Regular people who are fully capable of making mistakes. Yes, I hold them under a microscope, as they should be. If you are in a position of authority, you should be behaving in an ideal manner. You should be a role model for the community.

But face it, we need them and they need us. Without them, we would live in chaos. Without us, they would not have a job. It is a give and take relationship that we don't have a choice. Deal with it people.

I've had many interactions with police, some were jerks and others were very understanding. Initially you point the finger, but if you are going to be honest about it, as I have tried, we can begin to understand that it was, in fact, us who were in the wrong and not them. That bs speeding ticket that someone may, or may not, of picked up a few weeks ago for I don't know... $272 give or take, was not the fault of that piece of you know what. It was my own fault as I was speeding. Ever hear of a warning BUD?

That is another weak excuse, and one I tried to use. What the hell is this guy doing? Yeah sure I was speeding, but why bother me when there are drug dealers, rapists, murderers, etc., to deal with? The actions of others, even if they are severe, does not excuse my own behaviour. I chose to speed, and I deserved the fine. A little stiff I think, but nonetheless, it was deserved.

semp, and others like him, we do appreciate the work you guys do.

Keep on, keepin' on!

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
jsobecky....... a trooper or cop CANNOT stop you from calling someone on the phone....SHOW ME A LAW THAT SAYS OTHERWISE !!

Personally.....I dont give a rats ass what you think or believe...obviously you were not there and I know what happened...you DO NOT on the other hand......go pick a fight with someone else.......my posts were for the OP and I was not lying...yes I was wrong about the law for safety inspections (which they changed and told no one) big deal...get over it baby......like you were never wrong about something right Mother Teresa ?? Little Miss Perfect are you huh ??

I'm just sayin', if you think a statey is going to wait for someone to make two phone calls to verify a law and then say "Oops, I was wrong, you can go about your business", you are sadly mistaken.

You weren't there either. Your friend fed you a tall tale, pal. Face it.

If I wanted an intelligent fight....you would be the last I would choose.

I know I would be. That's because you'd have no chance at winning.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You have voted Alpha Grey for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Well said, Alpha Grey. Firemen and paramedics are REAL heroes.

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I don't "hate" cops. I do know that all of the police that I've encountered, save for 2, have threatened me, called me 'n-word', beat me, or illegally searched me. Maybe because I "fit the description"

With you all the way, Ras. I've NEVER had a good experience with the po pos. I've been illegally searched, harassed when I DIDN'T fit the description
, threatened, but thankfully not beaten (yet). However, I know PLENTY of people who HAVE been beaten by the jackboots.

Whites ask why black people don't trust the police. Hmmm, guess you missed all those nightsticks to the head, fire hose sprayings, K-9 attacks, beatings with whatever's convenient to beat with, and flat out MURDERS committed by cops against black people in the 60s. That ALONE makes me not trust cops without my personal experiences. The fire hoses may have disappeared, but cops STILL use these tactics disproportionately against black people.

Oh yeah, I can't forget all those cops in white and blue...you know, those cops in cahoots with/members of the Klan.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Semper just so you know,

Everytime I get pulled over, it's because I've been driving like a jackass. I am always treated, I'd say, great by the cop citing me. The secret I've figured out is to treat the police officer like any other human being. Be polite, curtious, and friendly. It's ok to be disorganized or not have all your paper work ready or even available (not legally, but if your friendly enough) becuase if you treat the cop fairly he will treat you fairly and with respect. They don't want any problems either.

I've had cops let me off for these various offenses, no liscense plate, Speeding, Driving the wrong way in a Park, expired tags, not making a complete stop. They let me off with a warning each time cause I was respectful, and once they've checked me out they usually feel I could be left to go on my own recon. and not cause anymore problems for the night.

Got pulled over for going well over 100. Weeeeeeell over. They couldn't even catch up. They got me once I got off the highway and onto a surface street. Still driving like a jackass. They should have arrested me for the offense, they should have given me a misdomener(sp), they should have ticketed me for several other things that I had wrong with my car. They gave me a speeding ticket, circled infraction and let me go on my way. The judge wasn't so nice, but thats a different story. The point is the cops were fair to me and in return I was fair and respectful to them.

Cops are people. We need to recognise that and cut them a little slack. I just learned from another poster here at ATS that cops suffer heavily from depression, and even have high suicide rates relative to other proffesions. This is because they are human and suffer from lonelyness, and the stigma that comes from being 'authority.'

Cops like to have a beer at the local bar. Cops want to date that hot girl on the corner. Cops want someone to go home to, and we as a population deamonise them even though they are just like everybody else, and we really have no right to.

Also cops do a whole lot more than we see. Who do you think has to be the first responder to open Mrs. jensens Apartment door when nobody has heard or seen the nice old lady for a month and the hall outside begins to smell. Police. They have to do tasks for the continuity of society that most people would cringe at. Give them credit. The cops stand up for us more than we stand up for them. Maybe we should change our attitudes towards them.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I don't hate cops. I almost became one. My brother is one. A captain at this point. I personally don't know anyone who hates cops. Maybe they just don't tell me. I don't know.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Also, $270 ain't that bad for a speeding ticket. My last speeding ticket cost me $1,470 bucks. Owch!!!. But still the cops that issued the ticket were very friendly, and even gave me advice about the ticket regarding what to say to the judge to limit my punishment.

I've had a cop pull me over. I cut him off while speeding (90MPH) while simultainiusly violating the carpool lane.

THe cop was respectful to me, I was repectful back. He then said. I could write you up for about 4 things right now, but since you were such a gentleman I am going to give you the ticket for the cheapest offense. No court, just mail in the bail money to the court.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
What I think is funny and shows the mentality of cops is this....

You scream at them you call them names you gripe and grumble about them then WTSHTF who do you call first?

And the same cop that you verbaly abused before and called names and made his day hell, will come to your aide when you need them to. Why? cause it's their jobs. Not all cops are perfect heck they are just human just like the rest of us but overall cops are there to do the right thing.

so next time you freak out on a cop remember that same guy might be pulling you out of harms way and not even expect a thank you.

Back home I once got accused of something realy bad that I did not do. The police there knowing me for over 20 years knew I would never do such a thing. They investigated the incident thoroughly and didnt just assume that I did it. They actualy listened to what I had to say and they found out the truith.

Cops have a job to do, they have good days and bad days. We should all do our part to help those that protect us have a good day.

If you are walking along someday and you see a cop just tell him a quick "Thanks" just to let them know what they are doing is for the right reasons.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have one rule of thumb that has never failed me, even though I have been wrongfully arrested.

Never argue with a cop.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I happen to like the cops in my area...never had a speeding ticket in my life and people who do usually deserve it. I've never really had an issues with the law...since I'm not a criminal. My guess is most people that hate cops are criminals.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I've never really had an issues with the law...since I'm not a criminal. My guess is most people that hate cops are criminals.

Uh-huh

That's flawed logic if I ever heard it. Most people who have issues with police are the ones who are unjustly targeted by police. And since most police use their "gut" or "instinct" which is peppered with their own personal prejudice, their targets are often innocent people.

I thought this would be a good place to add this story.
news.bbc.co.uk...

A police officer shown in leaked CCTV footage punching a woman outside a nightclub has been withdrawn from public duty.

An investigation has begun into the incident, supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

And to those who say "cops are just normal people, you have to expect them to make mistakes." I say that cops shouldn't be normal people. Because of the responsibility they hold, and the potentially deadly armorment they control, they can't be normal people. They have to be the ones you can count on to not abuse that power. Unfortunately, it seems that in the hiring process the powers that be purposely hire people who are abusive and aggressive rather than sympathetic and helpful to the general public.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I don't hate cops in general, hell my uncle is one. But I hate those who don't follow the constitution, breach laws, enforce unconstitutional laws like Patriot Act, that kind of crap. Also the police who are a kind of mafia, like certains business who MUST pay the local police every month a few thousands bucks or they will be raided once a week.

But good cops who think for themselves, don't go with corruption or unconstitutionals orders or aren't power freaks, are doing a great job.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Can we at least all agree that the problem with cops in the US is mainly dependant on what state/region your in and what color of skin you happen to be born with?

Here in Belgium most Eastern European types will most likely dislike the cops as much as black americans do in the US. Reason for that? They get profiled and treated badly just because of where they come from or how they look and how they talk.

Reason for this in belgium is that we have a problem here with a handfull of Eastern European gangs coming over the borders at night, burglaring entire streets. These guys aren't shy and will kill you if they accidentaly find you at home. (They do take good care scouting the houses beforehand though, so the previous barely ever happens)

These guys don't even get close to representing a % of the population of people of Eastern European descent in belgium and they aren't really in belgium since they only come over the border right before they go stealing, but they do give a bad name to everyone Polish, Czech, Slovak and Hungarian.

Heck, these gangs don't even get close to forming a % in crime statistics, which are ruled by legacy belgians.

Its really easy for a populace to blame all their problems on someone that looks or talks different.

Also, as I said before, I find it very understandable that people who have had contacts with bad/agressive cops are weary and distrusting of all cops, unless the cop shows to be friendly the moment he knocks on your window.

Reason? Cops carry weapons that can hurt you, they carry weapons that can kill you, they won't get into to much trouble if they beat the living daylights out of you (and some of them just love doing that).

They are also human beings, which means that if they just stopped an actual criminal that called them names and picked a fight 20 minutes ago(and got a few good licks in on the cop), the officer in question might still be rather edgy or pissed and that will reflect on the experience you, Mr "Has the same accent", Mr "has the same skincolor" or even Mr "Average White American" have with them 20 minutes later.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have to wonder how many 'would be' cops are kept off the force by recruiting agents/psychologists, by reason that they are found to power assertive or psychologically incompetent for the job.. sure there are those that get through none the less.. I also wonder how many of those that get through and abuse there power lose there standing or place in the force?... personally I am more proud of the job these men and woman do for us joe citizen, the bad rap that the few give cannot reflect our opinion of these fine officers... and if you as a citizen have a run in with a cop that turns out he power trips on you, abuses you in anyway, than I have to wonder why dont you report it? Is it cause you wont be believed? sure that is possible, but if this is the officers prevailing attitude than soon you wont be the only one reporting this person, and hopefully measures would be taken to stop this behaviour from that individual.. I see that if there is no record of abuses from a particular officer than there will be no professional action taken against him/her.

and thematrix, I would agree with your assertion that location, skin color, yadda yadda will have a great effect on how joe/jane is treated.. in all my reading on the subject of law enforcment one thing that comes up is that every department is different, as you would expect coming from a bunch of humans with our divers personalities and the like.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by drconfused]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I know not all cops are bad but I have had very few good experiences with cops in my area and I'm a white guy from ohio rasobasi420. My friend was put in the hospital by cops while they arrested him for fighting with another guy. Yes they were doing there job in arresting him but they didn't have to beat him and put him in the hospital. They didn't punch him they cuffed him and had a beefy cop pick him up over his head an dropped my friend on his head I thought they killed him! Everytime he was dropped on his head they would rub his face in the gravel to cut his face then spray more mace in the cuts. So I of course took down names of witnesses that were standing right there and of course they all said they would help me not let them get away with it but wouldn't ya know every one chickened out on me. Like I said I know not all cops are like this but questioning cops should never be looked down apon cause stuff like this does happen even to white guys

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Scrub]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Scrub, that situation is the only good thing camera phones are usefull for imho.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Unfortunately, it seems that in the hiring process the powers that be purposely hire people who are abusive and aggressive rather than sympathetic and helpful to the general public.

What you are missing here is that it is a VERY fine line....

To begin with, you ask me EVERY day I put that uniform on, to come to your house and die for you.....

Like it or not, that is the root of what we do. We prepare to lay our lives down to save another...

On top of that....

We don't go put out fires, or perform CPR, like the hero's of another poster, of course they are hero's, but of another brand. We must be prepared to fight, attack, shoot, kill and die. That is our job... It is what it all boils down to. Sure there are Detectives, traffic cops etc, but the main focus is arresting people that do not want to be arrested and some that will do ANYTHING to prevent that...

In my 21 years, I have had numerous concussions, 3 stab wounds, one bullet wound, broken hand, fingers, burns to the chest and head. Why? , Because I love my job and what I do. Because what I do makes a difference in this world.

Now as to the quote....

Yeah, it would be lovely if the world was a bed of daisies and we all could tip toe through, but it is not...

A good officer must balance sympathy and helpfulness with violence. For make no mistake about it, if you are not a violent man, or simply can not handle violence on an almost daily basis, you will either not make it, or you wont be very good at the job.

There are violent criminals out there with the ability and intent of never being arrested. Yet, they must be arrested. That is why there is a need for people like me, men of violence.

Yes of course, I have been sympathetic and helpful, I have also been incredibly violent and fought for my life more times than I can count. I am alive now because I am good at that violence, not because I am sympathetic or helpful....

97% of all adult men have never been in a violent altercation in their adult lives. Of the remaining 3%, 2.5% have been in one two or three. Then there are those of us that have been in dozens and dozens, hundreds over the years.

Why?

So that you don't have to die.....

Semper

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's not the violence that is an issue Semper. I understand that it's a natural part of the job. But, along with that comes proper judgment. Knowing when to use violence, and when to use compassion. When to be aggressive, and knowing when aggressiveness is uncalled for, and counterproductive. I'm sure you know the differences, but there are too many officers who don't. And, it seems that those officers tend to keep their jobs, and their guns much longer than they ought to.

It's the "Brotherhood" of it all that lets them keep their job, and has other cops backing them up at every turn. Even if you are a good cop, chances are, you will back up a bad one because of the fraternity.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I dont like cops because they are they arrest people for smoking pot. If they didnt do that, I would have no problem with them.

I know it is not their fault, they administer policies that some of them might not agree with, or have any control over, but at the end of the day, they still arrest people for smoking pot.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join