It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC: Israel and Iran share most negative ratings in global poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

BBC: Israel and Iran share most negative ratings in global poll

www.bbc.co.uk

Most people believe Israel and Iran have a mainly negative influence in the world with almost as many saying the same about North Korea and the United States, according to a BBC World Service poll of 28,000 people in 27 countries.

People were asked to rate 12 countries – Britain, Canada, China, France, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, North Korea, Russia, the United States and Venezuela – as having a positive or negative influence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.haaretz.com

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Interesting to see, that the most least popular countries in the world have not changed in last years. Israel and Iran share the top two positions, while on position number 3 with most negative ratings, there is United States. Right After United States, North Korea. So it looks like, the world opinion of United States has gone from bad to worse; one citizen in two (49%) across all 25 countries polled now says the US is playing a mainly negative role in the world. And over two-thirds (68%) believe the US military presence in the Middle East provokes more conflict than it prevents and only 17% believe US troops there are a stabilising force.

Israel was viewed negatively by 56 percent of respondents and positively by 17 percent; for Iran, the figures were 54 percent and 18 percent. The United States had the third-highest negative ranking, with 51 percent citing it as a bad influence and 30 percent as a good one. Next was North Korea, which was viewed negatively by 48 percent and positively by 19 percent.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/3/07 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The countries polled:

Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the United States

Tells you everything - Aside from Australia, France, Germany, Portugal, Poland, Italy, England the US and maybe Hungary all the remaining nations are either backward or do not have access to free press. As a result, what the people say is basically useless.
Come on - Egypt? UAE? Nigeria? Lebanon? Indonesia? Brazil? Philippines? Turkey? Kenya? China?
What kind of poll is this.

What pisses me off is that the US saved Europe hide during WWII and provided a defensive umbrella from the Soviets afterwards and the gratitde of those people is nowhere in site.

Granted the situation in Iraq is grim. It is not the USs fault though. It is Muslims killing Muslims (Baathists, Sunni extremists, Shiite extremists and various local governments (Iran and Syria) pulling the strings to topple the Iraqi government and build an Iraq that suites their purposes).

I say, give the US slack to handle the situation. Let the Nigerians, the Brazilians, the Egyptians and the Lebanese bitch and complain as much as they want.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi
Tells you everything - Aside from Australia, France, Germany, Portugal, Poland, Italy, England the US and maybe Hungary all the remaining nations are either backward or do not have access to free press. As a result, what the people say is basically useless.
Come on - Egypt? UAE? Nigeria? Lebanon? Indonesia? Brazil? Philippines? Turkey? Kenya? China?
What kind of poll is this.

What is the problem? Do those countries not deserve to have an opinion to be heard? After all they are a part of people living on this planet, and I wonder when it was the last time, that somebody asked Nigeria or Kenya what do they think about certain countries. BBC was just trying to pick a country from every continent to get a global picture - now if that is so hard to understand, maybe we should ask AIPAC what they think of Israel? And I think your opinion about those countries is very, very wrong - and also kind of racist. You think people of Nigeria do not know what is going on in the world?

What pisses me off is that the US saved Europe hide during WWII and provided a defensive umbrella from the Soviets afterwards and the gratitde of those people is nowhere in site.

And what pisses me off is that everybody thinks that US saved Europe, when in fact the only people who SAVED Europe, were the People of EUROPE; who actually did all the dying and the fighting. The second one, who can take credit for saving Europe is the Red Army, who started pushing back Z'Gehmanz and would sooner or later reach Berlin with or without Invasion of Normandy. My graditude is to the Yugoslav Partisans, who fought the German occupation from DAY ONE and were ready to give their lives for Freedom in my Country. And there were people like that All over Europe and THEY deserve ALL THE CREDIT!

Granted the situation in Iraq is grim. It is not the USs fault though. It is Muslims killing Muslims (Baathists, Sunni extremists, Shiite extremists and various local governments (Iran and Syria) pulling the strings to topple the Iraqi government and build an Iraq that suites their purposes).

No? It is not? Tell me, did Iraq ATTACK United States? Did Iraq demolish WTC on 9/11? Did Iraq attack Pentagon? Did Iraq demolish WTC in Oklahoma? Did Iraq attack Pearl Harbour maybe? Did Iraq have Weapons of Mass Destruction? Did Saddam has connections with Al-CIA-duh? What exactly was the real reason to go to Iraq? And Afganistan?

I say, give the US slack to handle the situation. Let the Nigerians, the Brazilians, the Egyptians and the Lebanese bitch and complain as much as they want.

Yeah - let them bitch and complain; while Israel and United States along with coalition will do the Occupying of Middle East for the rest of us, ey? That sounds like a plan! After all, you must defend US at all cost - they are your close buddies and allies right? And they always help you to veto out all the 66 UN resolutions against Israel.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Yes, this is always a good way to get your point across.....

Despite people disagreeing with US foreign policy and voicing it for many years, they should show support for something they know is a farce and based on lies.

As for the lack of respect you show the other countries involved in this poll.........

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I could have swore Judah cited an Argentinian court ruling that found Iran to be responsible for blowing up a Jewish centre there. I wonder since its such a backward country if their findings were possibly wrong then.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
In general the commoners of all countries have no idea what is going on in the world. They hear the the US is involved nin some war and they say "oh the US is always at war with everyone".
They hear that that Israel is always at war too and they say " ooh that bad Israel is always causing problems". It doesn't matter that the wars are initiated by the Arabs.

Everyone has an opinion and seems to know best. Well, as an Israeli and an American I can say that that supposed knowlege is raving ingnorance. I have experienced a substantial amount of ignornace from people on this forum who claimed to have knowledge about the Talmud and actually have no clue, people who claim to understand current events in areas where they never set foot on and have no idea what the population there is like. Yet, for some reason, they know best.

You are right, what I said is kind of racist because European countries are no better. They are all looking after their own self interests.
FACT: Iran is working on a military nuclear program. They are an extremist Shiite regime who have vocalized their ambitions to annhilate another country and support illegal organizations to provoke regional conflicts. Only the US has the BALLS to deal with Iran and nearly none other of those questioned in that poll.

Regarding the US and WWII involvement. The US did not have to enter the war with Germany but they did so to assist the Europeans. I do agree with you that we should salute the resistance groups who fought the Germans. These resistance groups were fighting for their HOMES they had no choice (Just like Israel fights against the Arabs for their homes. If we loose one war we are gone). The Russians were under a direct threat from the Germans and therefore they too had no choice. The US on the other hand fought to save someone elses home. That is where the gratitude needs to come in.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

It doesn't matter that the wars are initiated by the Arabs.

Wow, do you not get headaches from those blinkers being too tight.

You are way too biased to have any relevent input, I would say your opinion is as valid as those countries that you disrespected in your initial post.

Everyone has an opinion and seems to know best. Well, as an Israeli and an American I can say that that supposed knowlege is raving ingnorance. I have experienced a substantial amount of ignornace from people on this forum who claimed to have knowledge about the Talmud and actually have no clue, people who claim to understand current events in areas where they never set foot on and have no idea what the population there is like. Yet, for some reason, they know best.

And yet you seem to have the belief that you know best.

You are right, what I said is kind of racist because European countries are no better. They are all looking after their own self interests.

Unlike the US and Israel?

You fall foul of the very circumstance you say others do.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by Koka]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

No? It is not? Tell me, did Iraq ATTACK United States? Did Iraq demolish WTC on 9/11? Did Iraq attack Pentagon? Did Iraq demolish WTC in Oklahoma? Did Iraq attack Pearl Harbour maybe? Did Iraq have Weapons of Mass Destruction? Did Saddam has connections with Al-CIA-duh? What exactly was the real reason to go to Iraq? And Afganistan?

Sadaam supported international terrorist organizations. This included Al-Qaeida and Palestinian terrorist organizations, he harbored Abu-Nidal was a brutal dictator with two ruthless sons. Sadaam posed a threat to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and other Persian gulf states, gassed his own people and already attacked and ransacked Kuwait for NO reason.

My my, aren't we suffering from memory loss. Afghanistan was the host state of Al-Qaeida and the Taliban regime was repressive as hell.

Souljah, we've engaged in more than a few 'discussions' on these matters, Out of curiosity, where do you live and what background do you come from? You already know where I am from.

[edit on 7/3/07 by JudahMaccabbi]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Koko,

I live the NEWS, it is a BUG I have in my programming. I hear NEWS from all walks of life, Al-Jezira, Arutz 7, Gush Shalom and mainstream media as well. I live in Israel, have Arab relatives and associates, I know and knew people who fought in the Israeli underground during the war of independance and what they did and did not do. I know how Israelis, Americans and Arabs think. My hobby is reading up on history, science and current events when 'normal people' watch 'American Idol', '24', or 'Lost'.

I have my reservations regarding Israel's actions both at home, in the territories and abroad but this is a separate issue. I will not voice my opinion on things I do not know - Like the war in Yugoslavia (back then) , the conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea or if Elvis was kidnapped by extraterrestrials. I do voice my opinion regarding what is going on in the middle east because I live it day by day within a country were the press is free and the information is available (unlike Egypt & Lebanon who do not have a free press).

Some people have a tendancy to pass judgement on things they have NO CLUE about. And they claim to be intelligent. Well truely intelligent people do not voice their opinions on things they do not know from first hand experience. Its like virgins talking about sex.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Unlike the US and Israel?

You fall foul of the very circumstance you say others do.

Israel's serves its own self interest which is surviving.
Remember the war of 1948 started with an Arab attack. 1956 came after Arab aggressions, ditto for 1967, 1973 and 1982. In the Gulf war Israel was attacked without lifting a finger. The first Intifada started because of a car accident and the second supposedly started because Ariel Sharon visited the temple mount (If you believe that lame Palestinian excuse). The last Lebanese war started because Hezbullah killed and kidnapped Israeli soldiers from the Israeli side of the border.
Care to share with me the 'facts' as you know them?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   

(Just like Israel fights against the Arabs for their homes. If we loose one war we are gone)

Maybe if you didn't fight the Palestinians for their homes you wouldn't have to worry about any wars.

I can't see how you see yourselves as "The Resistance" LOL The Germans were the ones booting the French out of their homes, driving tanks and military through their villages, arresting politicians , executing law breakers (Their laws), meting out collective punishment on the innocent, extrajudicial punishment (Rachel Corrie comes to mind) and placing curfews on civilians.

I don't see any Palestinians putting curfews on Israelis during Ramadan or driving their tanks through Israeli towns whenever the IDF drops a bomb on a Palestinian house. There is nothing "resistance" about Israel at all. You have passed out so many BS stories about being on the defensive that you are beginning to believe your own stories. Thats pretty sad.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Thank You! *applauds*

I get so sick and tired of the european revisionalist history, it all makes me want to puke
. I mean we bent over friggin backwards to make europe what it is today, yet they take cheap shots at us in their media at every turn etc. I dont recall seeing this kind of crap in the newspapers from the WW@ era when we were fighting the krauts back for the brits. The two nations that on that war are the current superpowers. Russia and the US advancing on two different fronts.

Dont get me wrong, I understand having pride in your history, but come on! I have seen british versions of "history" that calimed they stormed the beaches of normandy by themselves and fought the germans back to berlin. *coughs* bull# *coughs*

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

And what pisses me off is that everybody thinks that US saved Europe, when in fact the only people who SAVED Europe, were the People of EUROPE; who actually did all the dying and the fighting.

What?!

I think you better review your history souljah, I dont think you quite have your facts right. who the hell do you think landed on those beaches in normandy? martians?
The fact is, brtain was one of the fewe remaining allied nations left standing in europe and they were teetering on the edge. They were just barely holding the germans off. In fact, if the US wasnt forced to enter the war, I could see britain falling to eventual german occuptaion

BTW, here are the casualties for WW2 so you can get this through your kool aid filled brain.

American casualties: 131,028,000

British casualties: 47,760,000

yugoslavia: 15,400,000 (they didnt have one for slovenia)

Gee, it doesnt look like it was only europeans fighting and dying as you claim.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

And what pisses me off is that everybody thinks that US saved Europe, when in fact the only people who SAVED Europe, were the People of EUROPE; who actually did all the dying and the fighting.

What?!

I think you better review your history souljah, I dont think you quite have your facts right. who the hell do you think landed on those beaches in normandy? martians?
The fact is, brtain was one of the fewe remaining allied nations left standing in europe and they were teetering on the edge. They were just barely holding the germans off. In fact, if the US wasnt forced to enter the war, I could see britain falling to eventual german occuptaion

BTW, here are the casualties for WW2 so you can get this through your kool aid filled brain.

American casualties: 131,028,000

British casualties: 47,760,000

yugoslavia: 15,400,000 (they didnt have one for slovenia)

Gee, it doesnt look like it was only europeans fighting and dying as you claim.

double check that wikipedi table: those are the wartime populations you`ve quoted, not the casualty figures.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well for the negative responses here coming from the supporters of Israel . . it seems that the only two civilized countries in the world are Israel and the US . . . everybody else are still living in caves . . .

Thanks for the joke

I guess EU should shut up and keep kissing up to their Saviour for ever . . .

And . . . the rest are nothing more than third world countries with not opinion.

the arrogance of some is just to thick to swallow.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I guess EU should shut up and keep kissing up to their Saviour for ever . . .

the arrogance of some is just to thick to swallow.

I would imagine you remember a while back the furor over France not joining the Coalition of The Willing and how Americans were openly and freely critisizing them and even changing the name of French Fries to Freedom Fries. The French helped us gain independance from Great Britain! Should we forever be quiet just because of that forever?

I guess its just some sort of double standard ideology we have gotten into where its OK for us to critisize but not ok for anyone else to critisize us. I wonder why people should be beholden to the USA for our part in WWII when it was just as much for our own sakes. If we had just sat back and did nothing there would only be Us & Them right now. (Maybe!) Doubt we would have gotten very far with that all these years.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

That is where the gratitude needs to come in.

i'd rather be German...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

In general the commoners of all countries have no idea what is going on in the world. They hear the the US is involved nin some war and they say "oh the US is always at war with everyone".

Well I am more then happy that you are the only one who knows what is going on in the World. But tell me - how many Wars was USA involved in since WWII - and how many was for example Iraq or Iran or Afganistan? Interesting no?

They hear that that Israel is always at war too and they say " ooh that bad Israel is always causing problems". It doesn't matter that the wars are initiated by the Arabs.

Well I would be a pretty pissed off Arab, if somebody stole my land 50 years ago, and that my Grandfather, my Father and I have lived and are living in a military occupation, which was accused by the UN with 65 (or 66) resolutions - none of them did not do anything.

And I - a Slovenian and a Former Yugoslavian - have seen many documentaries regarding Israeli-Palestine conflict, I have read many books about it and I have even talked to a few people from Israel and from Palestine, and I have pretty much clear picture about the situation there. Not to mention, that the US main-stream media is VERY influenced by the pro-zionist, pro-israeli lobbies, which really OWN Washington - and the same news about the same event is very, VERY different in Europe then in the States. But of course - you know best.

Again - you know best.

Have you been to Europe?

FACT: Iran is working on a military nuclear program. They are an extremist Shiite regime who have vocalized their ambitions to annhilate another country and support illegal organizations to provoke regional conflicts. Only the US has the BALLS to deal with Iran and nearly none other of those questioned in that poll.

Actually they are trying to work on their civilians nuclear program - even CIA says, that Iran is like 5-10 years away from making military kind of nukes. And while we are talking about nuclear programs - wasn't the Israeli nuclear program kind of Illegal? Oh wait - that does not matter anyway, right?

Regarding the US and WWII involvement. The US did not have to enter the war with Germany but they did so to assist the Europeans. I do agree with you that we should salute the resistance groups who fought the Germans. These resistance groups were fighting for their HOMES they had no choice (Just like Israel fights against the Arabs for their homes. If we loose one war we are gone). The Russians were under a direct threat from the Germans and therefore they too had no choice. The US on the other hand fought to save someone elses home. That is where the gratitude needs to come in.

I did not say, the US did not help to free Europe from German occupation - but usually Americans just love to boast, how they saved and freed Europe from Occupation, when actually most of the dying and fighting was done by the People of Europe and the People of Russia. Yes our homes were attacked, but some countries did not resist - like Austria, Hungary, Romania, Finland and others joined the Hitler. Sooner or later the Russians would have arrived - and the Americans knew that, so they hurried to free what was left of Europe in order not to make all of the countries Commies - since, they knew that would happen if the Russians came there first.

My RESPECT goes to all of the Nations and Nationalities who Resisted the Germans from Day One, and were engaged in Guerrilla warfare against an extremly more powerful enemy - the entire Third Reich.

Sadaam supported international terrorist organizations. This included Al-Qaeida and Palestinian terrorist organizations, he harbored Abu-Nidal was a brutal dictator with two ruthless sons. Sadaam posed a threat to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and other Persian gulf states, gassed his own people and already attacked and ransacked Kuwait for NO reason.

Can you provide any EVIDENCE about that? As far as I know Saddam was afraid of Al-Qaeda, since he knew that was a product of Western Intelligence agencies. Yes he was a Brutal dictator - but have you asked yourself who put him into power (Hint: CIA)? Have you asked yourself who armed him? Have you asked yourself who gave him components for chemical weapons? Have you asked yourself, who supported him when he was fighting a rising threat from the Iranian Islamic Revolution in the Iran-Iraq war? Saddam was a threat to the global elite, trying to own the resources of the Middle East (Hint: Petro-Euro).

My my, aren't we suffering from memory loss. Afghanistan was the host state of Al-Qaeida and the Taliban regime was repressive as hell.

Actually most of the alleged hijackers from 9/11 were Saudi Arabian (and some of them are still alive today) - so why not invaded Saudi Arabia? The Taliban did not attack United States. Why would they do that? Kind of Suicidal don't you think? But then again, our opinions could not have been further apart, as far as I see. And the Saudi Regime was a role model for the Taliban, and if you check news that come from there, you can see that the opressive regime is still in power there. But that does not matter, right?

You know best.

Souljah, we've engaged in more than a few 'discussions' on these matters, Out of curiosity, where do you live and what background do you come from? You already know where I am from.

Slovenia.

Born in Socialistic Federative Republic of Yugoslavia.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
I guess its just some sort of double standard ideology we have gotten into where its OK for us to critisize but not ok for anyone else to criticize us.

Just remember from whom this came from . . . the famous phrase . . . by one of this centuries crusader . . .

You are we us or . . . against us

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join