It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libby found guilty in CIA leak case

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You are going to have a rough time convincing me that this was anything other than BS politics. This entire incident was a nothing more than a joke.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Sorry but lying about having sex with a woman (since when is adultery a crime?) is nowhere near lying about leaking the identity of a CIA operative as retribution to a US ambassador proving that your planning to go to war with a nation (Iraq) with patently false evidence.

What he and his superiors did initialy, about which they lied afterwards, was treason, and what he is convicted for now is only the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Interesting points brought up on Yahoo:

news.yahoo.com...

The case laid bare the inner workings of a presidency under siege and the secretive world of Vice President
Dick Cheney.

And the Libby case showed the president assisting Cheney in the leaked attacks on Wilson.

The trial leaves a trail of unanswered questions leading to the doorsteps of Bush and Cheney.

Testimony and evidence did not clear up whether THEY directed the leaking of Plame's identity to the news media.

The makes me sick. One thing, because there is so much self appointed protections in place this will probably not affect Bush and Cheney on the level I'd like it to.

My question is how can we 'bypass' all these 'protections' and give these idiots what they deserve? Impeachment is definitely the minimum I would accept.

Add:

www.impeachbush.tv...

Unfortunately, even if we were able to rid ourselves of these two maggot infested despots this still would not solve the bigger problem which is the supergovernmental influences that pull their strings to begin with.

Man, are we in trouble or what?

[edit on 6-3-2007 by ViewFromTheStars]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Scooter Libby got what he deserves, he is a sick man. I still can't beleive the vice presidents chief of staff would write a book about 10 year old girls having sex with bears.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Scooter Libby was found guilty by a D.C. Jury. No surprise there. Jurys are never right all the time. (OJ Simpson)

I fully expect him to be cleared by a new trial. If the outside chance he doesn't, President Bush will rightfully pardon him.

Valerie Plame's husband lies about who sent on the mission in the 1st place, and Scooter Libby ends up paying for it. Just doesn't make sense?

Alleged-rapist, Bill Clinton sends Sandy Berg(l)er to steal documents pertaining to 9/11 out of the National Archives, and Berg(l)er only gets fined $50,000. Yet Libby faces jail time?

[edit on 6-3-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Lewis Libby is doing his job. He's taking one for the team. Let's be clear on that. This type of scapegoating happens all the time in D.C. As a former Federal civil servant, I have seen it and I've been the victim of it. Libby still get his appeal, which will take enough time to allow for a possible pardon on the last day of the last hour of the Bush43 Presidency.

Because he wouldn't give up his superiors, the media turned on Libby. Before you reach for the keyboard, let me explain. Every high official in Washington D.C. keeps the most meticulous of records. They keep records for stuff that you and I will never know about. Libby is a lawyer by education, so he does know what he can and should subpoena. He also knows what he needs to stay away from in order to take the heat for his superiors without adding to his projected prison time.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that all of his indictments will stand. The special prosecutor threw everything at him, including the kitchen sink, just to see what would stick. Libby's lawyers are going to contest e-everything down to the smallest detail. This wil include the jury deliberations. Expect to see this taken to the Supreme Court. by the time you're sick and tired of hearing about this, Libby will be on his way to time served and/or a suspension of sentence.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

RRconservative:

Valerie Plame's husband lies about who sent on the mission in the 1st place, and Scooter Libby ends up paying for it. Just doesn't make sense?

Would you elaborate on this a little bit and keep in mind what Clinton did , concerning Sandy Berger or otherwise, has nothing to do with Libby. Please keep in mind that I don't like Clinton either.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This was a huge waste of taxpayer money. There was no underlying crime to begin with.

Plame was not a covert agent, and the prosecutor knew it beforehand.

It was nothing more than a political witch-hunt, and Libby was the fall guy.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Cmon, Jso, she was a covert agent and stop saying she wasnt. The truth is Scooter Patsy the Robot is now paying for all the lies he was told to tell...by Cheney and our president, and now is time to pay.

Will Cheney have the cojones to own up and keep his good friend from going to jail???

Will he be too ill to take the wrap?

Stay tuned...this is a bad precidency but i got to give it to them, its never a dull moment. NEVER.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
This was a huge waste of taxpayer money. There was no underlying crime to begin with.

Plame was not a covert agent, and the prosecutor knew it beforehand.

It was nothing more than a political witch-hunt, and Libby was the fall guy.

What do you mean there was no crime to begin with? that has yet to be determined but the fact still ramains that Libby obviously tried to cover up facts conceerning his role in the leaks and for that he got busted and I'm glad for it.

If you want to talk about political witch hunts why don't you go back in time and examine closely the impeachment of Bill Clinton.. Now THAT was a waste of taxpayer money.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
dgtempe,

I don't think anyone has been specifially charged with the actual outing of Plames identity, this gets a little hairy and I think this is what JSO is referring to but like I said earlier, Libby covered up the facts about his involvement in the leak and this is a felony violation. THIS is what he got busted over, not the actualy outing of Valery.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It's amusing to see all the comments that Libby was just a robot, taking the fall because he was ordered to, and had no mind of his own. As an independent, it still strikes me as funny that anyone on the Right who is guilty, is covering up for their masters. While anyone on the Left, under the same circumstances, would be labeled as a rogue member of the party. Can we just agree that most of the people in Washington are just out for all the power they can grab, regardless of the wants/needs of their electorate.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Cmon, Jso, she was a covert agent and stop saying she wasnt. The truth is Scooter Patsy the Robot is now paying for all the lies he was told to tell...by Cheney and our president, and now is time to pay.

Sorry, dg. The very person that drew up the definitions of overt/covert agents admitted that Plame was not covert.

He faces jail time while Sandy Burglar received a slap on the wrist.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Pyguy,

I hear you.

I want to clarify, as I said earlier, that I don't like Clinton either and I further believe that this whole "r versus d" paradigm is extremely myopic and is only aiding to our demise because of the level of corruption in our government today. I fear that we are truly beyond the point of no return and voting one way or the other is only shoveling poop back into the tide.
I mean, how can you realistically on ANY level vote the lesser of the evils? I'm just trying to focus on the truth and it sure doesn't leave very many options nowadays.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViewFromTheStars
What do you mean there was no crime to begin with? that has yet to be determined but the fact still ramains that Libby obviously tried to cover up facts conceerning his role in the leaks and for that he got busted and I'm glad for it.

You tell me, what was the crime that this special prosecutor appointed for, and the grand jury convened for?

What was the crime? There was none. Nobody was accused of outing a covert agent, were they?

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

jsobecky

Nobody was accused of outing a covert agent, were they?

Actually, they were but as of late this has not been found to have violated any criminal statutes. (yet) Why do you continue to complicate this?

I think what you mean to ask was this:

"Nobody was CHARGED with outing a covert agent, were they?"

No.. this has not occured.. yet... but this STILL does not change the fact that an investigation of the leak was started and Libby got caught covering up the facts of his involvement.

What I'm saying is no matter how baseless you feel this investigation is it still does not change the water under the bridge that occured AFTER the investigation started. Also, I don't think the 'baselessness' has been truly determined yet.

Libby should have just told the truth. Ironically, back when Clinton was being impeached, if he has just told the truth he would have not gotten into so much hot water.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

Ok hows is this any different than when our own president clinton was accused of lying and obstructing an investigation?

Well, accused means someone claims you did something. Convicted means a jury or judge has found you guilty of those claims. Clinton was accused, Libby was convicted. Different.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Trial testimony made clear that President Bush secretly declassified a portion of the prewar intelligence estimate that Cheney quietly sent Libby to leak to Judith Miller of The New York Times in 2003 to rebut criticism by ex-ambassador Joseph Wilson. Bush, Cheney and Libby were the only three people in the government aware of the effort.

AP article: Libby found guilty in CIA leak trial

those are pretty strong words in glaring public view, maybe people will wake up and begin to pay attention. sometimes you just need to force feed it and just come out and say it.

bush, cheney and libby... thats three! well my ATS friends, i think we've found a bonafide conspiracy.

[edit on 3/6/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl

Trial testimony made clear that President Bush secretly declassified a portion of the prewar intelligence estimate that Cheney quietly sent Libby to leak to Judith Miller of The New York Times in 2003 to rebut criticism by ex-ambassador Joseph Wilson. Bush, Cheney and Libby were the only three people in the government aware of the effort.

AP article: Libby found guilty in CIA leak trial

those are pretty strong words in glaring public view, maybe people will wake up and begin to pay attention. sometimes you just need to force feed it and just come out and say it.

bush, cheney and libby... thats three! well my ATS friends, i think we've found a bonafide conspiracy.

[edit on 3/6/2007 by bokinsmowl]

"Secretly declassified". Isn't that an oxymoron? But, then again, look who we are talking about.

LAWL

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, was accused of lying and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity to reporters.

Ok hows is this any different than when our own president clinton was accused of lying and obstructing an investigation? So if you go on that then nothing will or should happen to him. As I have said before anyone who is in prison today for lying and obstructing justice should be set free giving the fact nothing happen to clinton for it.

Why should others get into trouble. Our system is a joke.

news.yahoo.com

(edit to shorten link)

[edit on 6-3-2007 by SkepticOverlord]

What's the difference is the crime. Most people think impeachment is removal from office but it isn't and that the jury (the Senate) can give the appropriate sentence for the crime committed. Clinton just lied to the jury about a blow job while Libby actually convicted a crime which was outing a CIA agent which is treason and according to the States laws treason is punishable by death from either a hanging or firing squad. I hope Libby turns on Cheney so fast for his own skin. I found it sick when Libby's lawyer was going on about how Libby had a wife and kids. So does Joe and Valerie Wilson. They have two young twins (I believe five or six maybe?). Good grief. They really are worse than the mob.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join