It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do mods have double standards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Do some mods have double standards, are some more lenient than others.
Are there those who do not allow personal insults and name calling and are there those who turn a blind eye to it. What do you think.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Maybe they just view some posters as whiny pains in the ass?

Possible?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think they are all pretty firm about not allowing personal attacks.
Now some of the Mods have better humor than others, that is a fact! I think they are all pretty fair going.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I would suggest reading this thread:

Mods Not Gods

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Mods are human. As such they're not perfect. Personally, I'll expect perfection when I'm capable of delivering it.

Your mileage may vary.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Every time someone gets a warning there seems to be a mod-bashing thread

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Every time someone gets a warning there seems to be a mod-bashing thread

I think in some cases, correlation does imply causality.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have been made to feel like an idiot a couple of times by a certain mod, just nit picking my posts for the fun of it. I have also noticed the hypocrisy.

Maybe I should
and not even mention this but that goes against my nature to be a doormat.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Enjoi, I 'm not bothered about the warning I got, what I am concerned about is fairness, members being offensive to me and you complain to the mods and nothing is done, that is not right or fair.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
How do you know nothing gets done? If you don't know, then how can you possibly be upset about this? Or what-ever your upset about....

I've had point deductions before...I'm sure the Mods didn't send out a memo on it, so everybody could know I got my hands slapped

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Enjoi, I 'm not bothered about the warning I got, what I am concerned about is fairness, members being offensive to me and you complain to the mods and nothing is done, that is not right or fair.

Uh huh....sure you are.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There is currently a small population of our membership who are giving us, members, a bad reputation. Petty bickering, he said-she said b.s., finger pointing, basically, anything that consists of immaturity and the pre-school mentality. Frankly, this current behaviour has had me posting less and less over the last two, three weeks. Now, I am on ATS as much as ever, but I find myself reading more and more as I have no desire to jump into threads. If I create a thread about an issue, ten others are discussed in the first two pages of the thread. Members are ridiculed and mocked, off topic one-liners are everywhere, and others come in, call everyone out on their post's, and then never follow their little "rant" up.

I mean, I'm not in any position to assume our age here, but certainly we can 'attempt' to carry ourselves with a little more decorum then what we are seeing. I am doing my best to leave specifics out of this, but I am astonished to see some of this crap.

I post this here in this thread, but so much more falls under this umbrella. I mean, how many threads have we seen recently that are directed at our staff? Regular Joe's who are volunteering a butt load of their time. And for what? To be ridiculed at every corner for making strides to assure longevity of this board? I've reached the point that I honestly wish we, as members, would be censored. Do not allow us to speak out against the board, the administrators, the moderators, or anything else that pertains to ATS. The hypocrisy in our "rants" is too much for me at times. We bitch about all of these "double standards" and "censorship", yet we are given every opportunity to express all of our displeasures. Even if they are unfounded.

ATS Chat? I absolutely love it. But honestly, I hope it is scrapped. I'm sick of watching this crap play out before us. It has done nothing but create drama over the last few weeks, and this drama is pouring out into the boards.

For the love of everything that is decent in this world, can we at least try to behave in a manner that is not absolutely embarrassing?

...I don't think that is too much to ask.

Off to read more threads, and see if I can not "luck" out and find one or two to post in.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think each Mod has their own style of moderating. Sure there are T&C, rules, guidelines etc. But when it comes to implementing the task, aside from these guidelines, Mods will make decisions using some personal judegements. And of course, personal judgements are unique to a certain person.

My bottomline is that I can fully understand the moderators position. There should be couple of things about their tasks that is quite difficult to understand from a non moderator point of view. You also have to remember that just for one thread, there should be at least a couple of Moderators specifically assigned. Each has their own unique ways of seeing things. So, I guess that explains it.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
There is currently a small population of our membership who are giving us, members, a bad reputation.

Dude, it's cyclical. It ebbs and flows. Best thing to do is just what you've been doing - ignore it. Pretty soon (if they're ignored) the attention junkies find another sandbox to poop in and we're stable for awhile. Then it happens all over again with a new contingent - unfair! cointelpro! etc etc.

Of course, here I am posting in such a thread, thus not ignoring it and feeding the flames.

Ohh the irony!

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Good points Chissler, Enjoi, I did not join Ats to score points, I joined to converse with like minded people, and with those of differing views and an extra bonus of making new friends, Life is not about scoring points.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Mods don't have double standards...we just enforce the T&C's and guidelines of the site as best we can. We do have differences of opinions, that's why we have a moderator only forum. We discuss board infractions and issues WAYYYY more than anyone realizes....9 times out of ten when disciplinary action is taken against someone ALL mods have discussed it at length, debating back and forth what the appropriate action should be. A member that receives a red tag usually thinks it was just from one moderator when in fact it's something ALL moderators have discussed and agreed to. When someone receives a red tag you can bet that all moderators have reviewed the situation, post...etc and are completely current on the issue....MOST of the time.

This isn't to say that we don't make mistakes...we are human after all. When or if you can't understand some action that was taken against you I suggest you file a complaint so all staff can review if you feel you aren't getting the information you need from the moderator that issued the action.

We don't turn a blind eye to anything....but we can't read every post on every thread. If you see something that is against the T&C's please make the moderators aware so we can review the situation.....

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Why do so many posters try and take on the MOD's.

1. You've run out of stuff to talk about

2. Your hoping to get the gang to gangup of the authoritary figures, so you'll get the points.

All I have to say is

Yeah some come down harder than others. It's like the refs in sports, they are all a little different. You want the job, think you can do better. Everybodies an armchair quarterback until they have to do the job and wish they were back in the past.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I don't understand why all of the criticism of the moderators here... :shk: I think they are more than lenient most of the time. I have seen people say things, including myself, that, to be honest, if I were a moderator I would flag it in a heart beat.

I tend to agree with the sentiments of Chissler. The petty bickering and arguing is getting out of control. I even seen a moderator on one of the therads, won't mention a name, that got into a, at least in my opinion, very juvenile argument about who knew more about "Earth science" of all things!!

However,I suggest when you want to criticize the moderators here, think about all of the things that you have said that probably should have gotten a warning but they let it slide. I am sure you will come to see just how lenient they really are here.

When one signs up to ATS, if he/she has even read ATS T&C, which most don't, they know that there are certain things that you are not supposed to do. Name calling is absolutely not allowed here and shouldn't be. What does calling someone a name contribute to the conversation? NADA. Yet, some of the posters seem to think they should have the right to use space to do such.

I don't really care to read how "low down" one poster thinks another is. If you can't contribute anything that is of relevance to the subject, just don't post at all. If you get a warning for posting a violation of the rules, take your whining else where. No one really wants to hear it because t's the same people that do it all of the time. They get away with and get away with it. When a moderator decides to finally decides to flag them, they want to whine and moan about how "unfair" the moderators are here. That's bologna. They aren't unfai. Thay are very fair considering that those that get warnings are most likely serial offenders.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Speaker, I'm not interested in leniency, if I do something wrong and get punished I can deal with that, what I dont like is unfairness if your going to have rules then enforce then fairly across the board. I have complained to the mods on a number of occasions to deal with name calling, bad langauge etc. I still await a reply.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
I still await a reply.

You may not receive one. Many times we look at the complaint, decide to take action or not and move on. Also much of the time issues with members are resolved through u2u's.

top topics

join