It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing names..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I was visiting some old threads the other day and I noticed that a poster had changed their name.
I know little about all the fancy bells and wistles here at ATS so I was wondering if this was an ability we all had or if one needed to buy this option with ATS Points.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
I noticed that a poster had changed their name.

They must have opened a new account.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, posts by "X" are now posts from "Y".
The same post that I read last month under "X" now says it was written by "Y".
So if I open a new account all of my current posts will change to be under my new name?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
No.

If you wanted a new name, why would you want your old posts?

Could've been worse, you could've named yourself, [email protected]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Now, when you say "Posts by 'X'", do you mean "posts by Valhall"?

In which case, something happened, and we don't need to know, and for once I agree on that issue from some subtle hints that Springer gave.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It's been posted long, long ago and I'll just clear things up. A name can be changed BUT it is a crapload of work to do so (multiple database changes and much more) and therefore...blanket policy is that we don't do it.

That being said, if there is some compelling reason it should be done then it is possible (as in the case referenced above).

Keep in mind...I have never seen a compelling enough reason myself (although I'm not privy to every case).

So please don't ask to have it done just because. After all...look at my freaking name.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Yeah, imagine how much suffering Zedd has had to go through filling out the name boxes on those standardized tests.

Anyways, the truth is, the name does generally become identified with the posts and the personality, so why would you want to change it?

I chose my name after a kind of cigarette. Seemed relevant 4 years ago when I became a member. Of course the problem is I quit smoking a year and a half ago.

But the name is me. I wouldn't change it.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I was wondering about this too, when I signed up I thought that I was going to be able to choose a screen name after I did the sign in password thing.

I was going to choose What U KNO and not whatukno lol but eh it's close enough anyway.

and I can understand the whole OMG this is such a pain in the keester to chainge a persons screen name just cause they grew tired of it or something.

im still trying to figure out how to chainge that Member thing to something a little cooler

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
im still trying to figure out how to chainge that Member thing to something a little cooler

Easy. Go to Member Center, ATS Store, and choose a Custom Title. You have plenty enuf points to do so.

Edit: Oops - looks like you already figured that one out.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by whatukno

Easy. Go to Member Center, ATS Store, and choose a Custom Title. You have plenty enuf points to do so.

Actually.

Members with an interest in joining these forums are welcome to apply by contacting the following staff members via U2U:

Collaborative Writing (Writer): worldwatcher (Send U2U)

Debate Forum (Fighter): Nygdan (Send U2U)

Research Forum (Scholar): ADVISOR (Send U2U)

If you have any questions about these forums, please feel free to contact the respective staff member directly.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Thanks, Lysergic. I was obviously on the wrong track.

Edit: Thanks for the pointer, btw. I never knew it existed.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I have no idea why I chose the name I did. I dont even play a dulcimer.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, none of this makes sense to me.
'Person X' has become 'Person Y', and there is no logical reason for it.
'Person X' has had most of their posts deleted, with only a handfull remaining under the 'Person Y' name.

Im thinking this has something to do with VALerie Plame and Scooter Libby, and the Fitzgerald investigation..........

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

Im thinking this has something to do with VALerie Plame and Scooter Libby, and the Fitzgerald investigation..........

You're so far off base it's not even comical. The member in question is MY WIFE, the reasons are PERSONAL, it was explained (as mentioned in this very thread) elsewhere.

There are FREAKS on the web who would screw with/try to harm people who are married to the owners of a big site that focuses on "alternative topics". 'nuff said.

Thread CLOSED.

[edit on 3-7-2007 by Springer]

[edit on 3-7-2007 by Springer]

top topics

join