It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Black and White - Race Questions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Thank you all for your responses.

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
Could this change be because of the amount of sun light that are skin has recieved or possibly LACKED ???

Interesting, Deus! You might be interested to read about clines..

In population genetics, a cline is a gradual change of a character or feature (phenotype) in a species over a geographical area, often as a result of environmental heterogeneity. The change in phenotype does not result in different species as long as the geographically spread populations can interbreed with one another. This meaning of cline was introduced by Sir Julian Huxley.

Originally posted by LostSailor
I generally try to ignore the race threads... They just seem to get to heated for my liking. But, this one seems to be a tame one.

LostSailor, I thought about what you said here and I think most race threads go 'off the deep end' because the OP has a specific, race-related agenda and when people disagree with it, all kinds of assumptions and moral judgments are made.

My only agenda here is to find out how people feel. Not to change how they feel or judge or argue. I'm not trying to make people "face up to" anything or realize their guilt or faults or privileges. I'm simply curious.

And I will try to keep this thread from becoming a flame war by reminding anyone who tries to take it in that direction the purpose of this thread. I'm all for civil discussion, but the judgments about other people's feelings and opinions only serve to prevent people from posting.

I know some people won't be willing to answer the questions, and I understand that, but I'm HOPING that we can all just discuss this without going down the same road the other race threads have gone.

Thanks for your participation!

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I will say this ... That I actually used to attend a church that preached against .. Inter-racial mariages !!! ... They said that they had found somewhere in the bible where it talks about staying with your creed or color ... But when I asked them to show me it always got brought up that they didn't know exactly where to find it. Would be interested if anyone here has ever heard of this .... ????? I mean anyone can take a cerse from here and one from here .... I have even heard that Saul/Paul ... married a dark skinned lady ... and Paul I guess ASSUMING he was white ... That would be interacial ... Anyways ... ANYONE ANYONE ???? BEULAR

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
That I actually used to attend a church that preached against .. Inter-racial mariages !!!

My father "preached" it, too!
He said that the bible said that 2 oxen shouldn't be unequally yoked... (the bible was talking about believers and non-believers, but that mattered not to my racist father.)

The Bible and Interracial Marriage

The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites not to engage in interracial marriage (Deuteronomy 7:3-4). The reason for this is that the Israelites would be led astray from God if they intermarried with idol worshippers, pagans, or heathens. A similar principle is laid out in the New Testament, but at a much different level: “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers."

The bible only concemns interracial marriage, because it assumes the person of a different race is an unbeliever, idol worshipper, pagan or heathen...
And as we know, TODAY, that's not true, even if it was at one time. Many people of different races share the same belief system.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
when the question of race comes up , i have only one thing to say about it .
i am a white man that lives in a mostly black apartment complex , a very nice one at that . and where i live there are 2 types of blacks .
to me there are black people and there are the n word blacks . by n word blacks , i mean the stereotypical , crack selling , money bumming looking for trouble black . and in the same breath there are those white ones as well . same thing to me .
to me , race , color and all that means nothing to me as long as a person knows how to act like a human should act . i hate NO ONE simply for the color of their skin or where their from . hate is a terrible thing , no matter
who's doing the hating . just m2c . thanks for reading .

[edit on 7-3-2007 by gen.disaray]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I wonder how “most people” feel and if “most people’s” views are the same as mine.

I'll be happy to answer your questions, but am curious as to why they are asked?

What do you think about mixed race couples? Do you approve? Are you uncomfortable when you see them?

I figure what people do in the bedroom is their own business, and in the dark, everyone's the same color. Before I married, I dated women of many ethnicities, so I've been a part of a mixed race couple plenty of times. Never had a problem with it, and I figure it's no one but the couple's business.

Does it matter if it’s a black man with a white woman or a white man with a black woman? Does that make a difference?

Of course not. People get together. If they're cool with how each other look, why should I care?

Would you date a person of another race? Would you marry a person of another race? Any and all other races? If not, why not?

As previously mentioned, I've dated many ethnicities, and I in point of fact I married a Latino woman. We've got a house, and we're expecting our first interracial child. I'd have to say I'm pretty comfortable.

Kids of Mixed Race:
When you see a mixed race person, what do you think and how do you feel? Are you intrigued? Think nothing of it? Feel sorry for them? Envious?

None of the above. Most of us are already mixed-race. I myself am a Native American by registry, but have both European and African blood in my heritage. I think judging someone based on their race (for good or bad) is about as stupid a generalization as one can make, because aside from royal dynasties, there are very few "purebloods" out there, and it's not like they're any better or worse credit to the human race.

If your son or daughter wanted to date a person outside his/her race, would you support them? Caution them? How would you feel? Would some races be more acceptable than others?

I would prefer they chose to partner up with a human being. Other than that, whatever race or sexual preference they desire is what they want. Who am I to tell my child who they can and cannot be with? Now I might take issue if the person they were dating did things I disapproved of, such as being in a gang, but that is based off the actions of the person, not their ethnicity.

Racial Hatred and Slurs:

In your opinion, are all racial slurs the same? Is a white calling a black "tar baby" the same as a black calling a white "Miss Scarlett" if the same intent is in both? (That intent being to hate on and slam someone because of their race.)

That's a complicated issue. I'm for freedom of speech, so I think people need the right to call each other names. It's a damned site better than shooting each other, and lets you know real quick if you're dealing with an ignorant SOB, cause those are the first kind who use racial slurs. So, just for the record, I'm against banning "words".

That said, I think different slurs carry different weights.

In America, there's no widespread history of whites being oppressed by their black overlords, while being called "honky", and being denied a beer right after being denied a vote.

In America, there's no terrible memories of "the crackers" being rounded up into detention camps by the hundreds of thousands, their rights, properties, and lives completely torn asunder, just because their government couldn't tell them apart or speak the language.

In America, there's no horrifying mass lynchings of "whitey" in retribution for crossing the border, or for a war of Independence from Mexico.

None of those three words carry any of that kind of weight. They carry none of the humiliation, brutality, and horror that certain other slurs convey.

Is “racial hatred” worse than other kinds of hatred? Why or why not?

I rank it up there with any other generalized hatred, such as religious intolerance. It's based off of ignorance and the desire for power, nothing more, and is therefore a threat to common decency.

Unfortunately, this xenophobia is also a part of human nature. It will never be eliminated, it can only be transcended by people worth more than their value as fertilizer.

Do you think most people have similar views to yours when it comes to race and race relations?

It depends what you mean by "most people".

Do you mean out of all 6+Billion people on Earth? Probably not.
Do you mean all Americans? Probably a slight majority.

It's been my opinion that the smallest demographics (such as racial extremists) are usually the loudest. So it's hard to say.

Do you think other people are generally more or less racist than you are?

Honestly? I think most other people just don't care. I think quite a few have some generalizations about other people, but wouldn't freak out just because they, or their child, were in the presence of someone different. They might not know what society or the other person expects of them, but if people can just get past skin color for a few minutes, and be themselves, they usually find they are capable of getting along just fine.

Do you consider yourself somewhat racist? Not very racist? Totally open and accepting to other races? Very racist?

You tell me.

Some people claim to be color blind. They say they don't see color, that they see no difference, etc.

I say there is a difference, we should rejoice in that difference for a variety of good reasons, but that doesn't mean any ethnicity is better or worse than the others, and it doesn't mean anyone should be favored more or less than the others. I think hate groups have a right to exist, though I wouldn't personally want anything to do with such ignorant people. I find blaming people who were dead before I was even born, as reasons for my own shortcomings to generally be a cop-out. At the same time, I think we would be complete fools not to learn from the mistakes and hatred of the past and use it to work towards a better future.

Does that make me a racist? Somewhat? Not Very? Or Not at All?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
I'll be happy to answer your questions, but am curious as to why they are asked?

Because I am also curious. I tried to explain why I ask these questions here:
www.abovepolitics.com...

the reason I wrote this thread is to explore the individual racism that still exists. (Not to slam, judge or degrade people who still feel racist tendencies, but to explore it.)

Since most of the race threads here explore institutional racism, I wanted to take a look at individual racism. I wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions.

I expanded on my motives here:
www.abovepolitics.com...

I think most race threads go 'off the deep end' because the OP has a specific, race-related agenda and when people disagree with it, all kinds of assumptions and moral judgments are made.

My only agenda here is to find out how people feel. Not to change how they feel or judge or argue. I'm not trying to make people "face up to" anything or realize their guilt or faults or privileges. I'm simply curious.

Other reasons for this thread: to open my mind, consider others' points of view and to learn.

Thank you for your responses. Very interesting.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hi chissler.

Honestly, I really do not even think I notice. I mean, what does it matter? Honestly though? I think back years ago when my parents talk about how they went to different schools because of their religion. Catholics went to one school and Protestants went to a separate school. I mean, that is absolutely ridiculous. It really is an insignificant detail. Why put so much consideration into it? I see this as the same. A person is a person, and it is just that. Mixed race couples are perfectly fine, and anyone who does have a problem with it, really has an insecurity within themselves.

I think it's more of an issue in America than it is in Canada. Don't get me wrong it's an issue here or can be, but it seems to have more weight there.

I think in the States there is just more consideration put into it.

Again, who notices this stuff? When it comes to my own children, I would support him or her on anything they do. Whether they are heterosexual, homosexual, involved in a mixed race relationship, etc., none of it matters. I only pray that he or she is completely healthy and lives their life to the fullest. I am not the type of person that would intervene on an issue of race, religion, etc.

Some people still do. I think they are the ones who have to ask the questions and have the fixation.

This is the best point you raise thus far. Any term that is based an assumption of any individual, group, race, etc., and is an attempt to slander the individual, group, race, etc., is completely wrong. I don't care what the term is, or what the history on the term is, they are all equally wrong. "Slop eating swine", "jungle bunny", and "fat lazy pig" are all equally horrible in my opinion. A derogatory term that is based on race, is not any worse than one which is based on gender, age, weight, height, etc. They are all horrible, none of them are necessary, and all of them should be stigmatized. If a black person refers to a cop as a "pig", or a white person refers to a black person as a "porch monkey", both are equally as disgusting. They are overt assumptions with no merit that are attempts to slander the person.

All of them are disgusting, case closed.

Good point.

My reason for thinking that race is more of an issue in the States is based on a survey that I had to do. At the end of the survey we had to ask some pretty specific race based questions. I thought people would tell me off, or where to go, but it was not the case. I talked to other members where I worked about this, and they said, yeah in Canada you would get told for asking questions like that, but in the States it's pretty common. Getting asked questions of race seems to be more common, and more of a fixation.

I am not trying to generalise with that comment. It might not be true for all States, but it seems to be a more culturally accepted thing.

I have also heard that in the US vs Canada, race is a greater issue. Don't get me wrong, it's an issue here, but in some cases I have heard it's more open in the States, where Canada it's there, but not as touched upon. I don't know if one is better than the other. I think it's good that it's such an open issue in the States, but also I think it's good that it's not as harped upon here. 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
I have also heard that in the US vs Canada, race is a greater issue. Don't get me wrong, it's an issue here, but in some cases I have heard it's more open in the States, where Canada it's there, but not as touched upon. I don't know if one is better than the other. I think it's good that it's such an open issue in the States, but also I think it's good that it's not as harped upon here.

I have always thought it's better in Canada. I don't think it's a good thing to "harp on" race the way it's done here. It seems the more we talk about it, the worse race-relations become.

I think it's a matter of two races trying to get the other to "see" things from their point of view. And that's NOT going to happen. Not completely. Just as a man can't see things from a woman's point of view and vice versa.

I have always been interested in racial relations as one aspect of my interest in overall equality, but never have I talked about it as much as I have here on this board. With the first race thread I was involved in, it became clear to me that it wasn't about discussion, but more about a war. And every race thread I've been involved in since then has been highly unpleasant. Until this one.
But interestingly, this one's not very popular...

Hmmm... Maybe the drama factor equates to the popularity factor. I don't know.

Anyway, I don't think most people really want to "talk about race". I think they want to force their beliefs on others. That's my experience, anyway. If I don't accept the views and bleiefs of another person of another race, then I am seen to be racist...

It's a losing proposition around here.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Hi, BH.

What do you think about mixed race couples? Do you approve? Are you uncomfortable when you see them?

I don't mind them at all. I have several friends who are in mixed race relationships. In fact, I didn't even actually "think" of them as mixed race couples until I read this question. I guess it didn't really register with me. (I feel a little silly admitting that
)

Does it matter if it’s a black man with a white woman or a white man with a black woman? Does that make a difference?

I don't think so. Like I said, I don't tend to notice. As long as they are happy and treat each other well, that's all that matters.

Would you date a person of another race? Would you marry a person of another race? Any and all other races? If not, why not?

Sure would, in fact I have. And as long as I'm embarrassing myself here, I dated a guy in high school and had no idea he was Native American until his friend told me like a month after we had started going out. (Talk about "colorblind" going overboard!) I didn't bother me at all and we dated for quite some time. I don't think I would not date someone of any race.

When you see a mixed race person, what do you think and how do you feel? Are you intrigued? Think nothing of it? Feel sorry for them? Envious?

I don't think I'd actually stop and think about it.

If your son or daughter wanted to date a person outside his/her race, would you support them? Caution them? How would you feel? Would some races be more acceptable than others?

I would support them, regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation, as long as it made them happy. I would caution them though, that there will be people out there who don't, but I would tell them to never let that stand in their way.

In your opinion, are all racial slurs the same? Is a white calling a black "tar baby" the same as a black calling a white "Miss Scarlett" if the same intent is in both? (That intent being to hate on and slam someone because of their race.)

I think all racial slurs hold the same weight in terms of offensiveness. Nobody likes to be judged because of their skin color. It's all racism to me.

Well, it can be. For instance, hating a man just because he is black and for no other reason, is different than hating someone who, for instance, killed your spouse. I think more importantly is wether or not you act on that hate, in which case it can be equally as bad.

Are racial slurs worse than slurs based on other factors (like gender, profession, sexual preference, etc.)

Definitely not. I think ANY type of name calling is going to hurt different people in different ways. For instance, if someone called me a "stupid honkee" I'd be more offended that they called me stupid than that they called me honkee. It just depend on what you choose to offend you.

If you heard the slurs "Miss Scarlett", "slop eating swine", "The Lyncher", “male chauvinist pig”, “jungle bunny”, "fat lazy pig" and "tar baby" all hurled with the same venom and intent, are they the same? Which are worse and why?

It's all the same to me.

Do you think most people have similar views to yours when it comes to race and race relations?

It's hard to say. Like someone else mentioned, it seems the most extreme sides of the arguement garner the most attention.

I'd say it's about equal. I don't consider myself to be racist, or most of the people I know.

Do you consider yourself somewhat racist? Not very racist? Totally open and accepting to other races? Very racist?

I don't think I'm racist. That's not to say everyone is going to agree with my views.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Mixed Race Couples:

No, I think it's great, I think it's evolution in progress before my very eyes.

Does it matter if it’s a black man with a white woman or a white man with a black woman?

Not really, although I might feel sorry for the "sista" if you know what I mean.

Does that make a difference?

Not at all. I just hate seeing Black men with white midgets, that just seems wrong, you know?

Is this a trick question? Since I have two races, does that mean that I have free range within those two? Sorry for being difficult, either way, I would date any woman as long as she was cute/smart enough.

As a mixed race person, I love it when I see other mixed race children, and I can tell by the look in their eyes that they love seeing me.

Of course I would support them. I would also caution them as I know that most people of "pure" race can usually be quite crazy.

Yes.

Yes it is. At least the way I see it. When someone voices a grievance, then usually someone has a chance to address that grievance in one way shape or form.

To keep with my example from another thread--If I call someone fat, then that suggest that my problem with them is their weight, and my perception/problem/opinion could be changed depending on their actions.

However, when one hurls a racial slur at someone, they are conveying the thought that no matter what you do, no matter how you are as a person, they will always consider you less than them, and to me, there is a difference in that.

Are racial slurs worse than slurs based on other factors (like gender, profession, sexual preference, etc.)

Honestly dollface? None of them really bother me.

If you heard the slurs "Miss Scarlett", "slop eating swine", "The Lyncher", “male chauvinist pig”, “jungle bunny”, "fat lazy pig" and "tar baby" all hurled with the same venom and intent, are they the same? Which are worse and why?

I think I explained that already.

No

More.

I am quite prejudiced, but I am not racist in any way shape or form.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hello BH, glad I spotted this thread so that I can give my input, this can be a great topic, when handled in the right way...

Mixed Race Couples:

I think people should be free and encouraged to be with whomever they love or like, not matter the race, you can't help who you love so why try and stop it? Yes I approve but I must also admit sometimes my reservations surface from time to time. And no I'm not uncomfortable around mixed couples...

It shouldn't but to me it does sometimes, maybe it's a guy thing but I don't care if the guy is white however when the guy is black I'm not as, what's the word, "accepting". For example if I had a daughter, um, no, a son, well, I could care less... truly.

It's funny you should mention this topic now, imagine that, a white guy like me. You should ask "are you dating"...
Well, she's technically two races... Yes and yes...

Kids of Mixed Race:

I don't feel anything in particular, and I think mixed couples (white and black) make good looking children... Intrigued? Somewhat, but only in their family history and experience growing up... And I don't feel sorry or envious.

See above, I probably would not try to stop it, but I would feel better if (if I had a daughter) my daughter dated someone who was "white" rather than anything else. And again if I only have a son(s) it would be a non issue. Same goes for the 'some races being more acceptable' thing, this only applies if I have a daughter, preferably they go like this White, Asian, Black, Latin, Indian etc...

Racial Hatred and Slurs:

Yes, both are equally bad and neither should be acceptable...

In my view not really, it's part of the reason why I also don't support "hate or "race" crimes, hatred is hatred no sense in justifying some causes over others...

No they shouldn't be but those other types of slurs I feel are more “acceptable”, and I use that term loosely, because the history is not the same...

No I don't feel as if they are all same. Don't really know how to explain this but I guess it all has to do with the history sorrowing each topic and how I've been brought up (family and society wise) to perceive and think about each topic.

General

I think most do. I believe very few people are totally indifferent to the subject with most being passive like me but with some reservations and personal views and or beliefs.

To the extent that I would call myself a "racist" I think most people are generally the same or slight more. That goes for both major races in this context (black and white).

Honestly I would say somewhat racist but trying to become "totally open and accepting of other races", as you put it.

Know that all answers I gave above were both honest and truthful. If my thoughts appear somewhat contradicting and mixed that's because they are. There is some gray area for me when it comes to this subject, it’s not as they say, always black and white...

Thanks again for your responses.

Thanks for the thread.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's nice to have fun with a response. I LOL!

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
Not really, although I might feel sorry for the "sista" if you know what I mean.

Since I have two races, does that mean that I have free range within those two?

You tell me. I would say yes, but I don't get to make your rules.
So, I guess the question would be: Would you date someone who didn't share a race with you?
How's that?

As a mixed race person, I love it when I see other mixed race children, and I can tell by the look in their eyes that they love seeing me.

I love seeing you, too.

However, when one hurls a racial slur at someone, they are conveying the thought that no matter what you do, no matter how you are as a person, they will always consider you less than them, and to me, there is a difference in that.

I felt very sad when I read that.
That sucks.

Honestly dollface?

You made my day!

Thanks for your answers, sweets!

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I appreciate your answers, WestPoint23.
This thread is turning out to be what I had hoped. A candid look at our personal views of other races withoutjudgments on others' opinions.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

So, you do know what I mean?

Would you date someone who didn't share a race with you?
How's that?

Yes, like I said, I would date anyone as long as she was pretty/smart enough, regardless of what race she was. It does have to be a she though.

I love seeing you, too.

Aww, thank you, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Seriously though, think about what I said. Can you imagine growing up without ever seeing another child who looked like you?

I felt very sad when I read that.
That sucks.

Yeah it does suck, but so do many aspects of life. Regardless, perhaps now you know why I differentiate between the two.

Thanks for your answers, sweets!

Anytime toots!

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

So, you do know what I mean?

Let's just say that I've been in several interracial relationships.

Seriously though, think about what I said. Can you imagine growing up without ever seeing another child who looked like you?

I have thought about that. I can't imagine never seeing another child like me. That's why I say I'm intrigued with mixed race people. I'm extremely curious, but I don't want to come across like, "Hey, what's it like being you"?

Yeah it does suck, but so do many aspects of life. Regardless, perhaps now you know why I differentiate between the two.

More on this later. Off to the dog park!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
wrong thread

[edit on 13-3-2007 by CSIfan]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

What do you think about mixed race couples?

Nothing special.

Do you approve? Are you uncomfortable when you see them?

I'm not uncomfortable or disapproving, since I've been in a few myself.

Does it matter if it's a black man with a white woman or a white man with a black woman? Does that make a difference?

Nope. Although... I have to admit, when I was single, I used to get... irritated at the black man/white woman configuration. There weren't very many black men at the schools I attended, and that made the dating game very competitive. Because of this, the black men would set these incredibly high standards for the black women (dress, hair, friends, etc), yet, end up dating the most homely looking white women. It was offensive to the black women there, but not because she was white. Because she was homely.

Yes, but no. I wouldn't marry outside my race, because my 'blackness' is central to my identity in a way I don't think 'whiteness' is to white people. If I had a bad day, racially, I could foresee a lot of frustration, and explaining myself, at a time when I just needed understanding.

I feel sorry for them. The few mixed race people I knew were sad specimens, always in this existential no man's land, like they just couldn't figure out which was was up. A very fair-skinned girl told me once, I always wished I was your color.

I would both support and caution them, just like I would do with anyone else, black or not.

In your opinion, are all racial slurs the same? Is a white calling a black "tar baby" the same as a black calling a white "Miss Scarlett" if the same intent is in both?

Absolutely not, like many others have said, because of the history.

(That intent being to hate on and slam someone because of their race.)

I want to take this moment out to discuss "Miss Scarlett." I, too, was initially taken aback when I saw the term used in reference to you. I've only seen the film once, long ago, so I simply thought, "Miss Scarlett is the white lady/slaveholder from Gone With the Wind." I thought Ceci was wrong.

Since you've been bringing it up so much, I thought about it some more and realized that I had oversimplified the 'Miss Scarlett' character in my own mind. Yes, she was white, female, and a slaveowner, but she also saw herself as very compassionate and understanding to her slaves. Almost like a friend, who just happened to be keeping them in bondage. Paternalistic racism, it's called. That, I believe, was Ceci's original intent. I still don't agree with her usage of the term, but you need to stop characterizing it as racism (ie, she called you that because you're a white woman and so was Miss Scarlett). She was referencing your stance on race issues.

Is "racial hatred" worse than other kinds of hatred? Why or why not?

Not inherently. What makes it worse it the legitimizing power of the state. You'll never hear that the police shot a white woman 50 times for bad driving.

A profession is a choice, so yes. When it comes to gender and sexual preference, no.

I wouldn't know.

Looking at the posts I read at ATS, I can definitely say more.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
I feel sorry for them.

That's odd, because I have honestly started to feel sorry for those of "pure" race. I see what a crutch it is for most people, and I thank god every day that I do not have to rely on something like that.

Thankfully race can never be "central to my identity".

The few mixed race people I knew were sad specimens, always in this existential no man's land, like they just couldn't figure out which was was up. A very fair-skinned girl told me once, I always wished I was your color.

Those few do sound like a sad bunch, give me an hour, and I'd help them discover their inner high yellow.

[edit on 14-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Yeah it does suck, but so do many aspects of life.

When I left to go to the dog park the other day, we were in a car accident. Interestingly, that sucked as well. But there were many fortunate things about it. The other driver had insurance. It was totally her fault. And there was a cop in the other lane who saw the whole thing. None of us (including the dogs) were hurt. And after all was said and done, we went on to the dog park.

I just wanted to say that it's a trap to list the "bad" things about any certain situation. If I focus on the bad, that's where my energy goes and that's how I feel, and I forget about the stuff to be grateful for! If I focus on the "good" (as in the previous paragraph) what do I have to feel bad about? Things suck. But if I hold the attitude that "Things Suck" that's exactly where I'm going to live.

Thankfully race can never be "central to my identity".

I can't imagine my race, something I really have nothing to do with, an accident of my birth, being "central to my identity." My identity revolves around my likes and dislikes, my passions, my family, my interests. Things I choose and love. But I know that for some people, it IS their passion. I don't 'get' it, but I see it and accept it.

I'm told that I'm fortunate that I don't "have" to think about race. But nobody does. It's always a choice.

Those few do sound like a sad bunch, give me an hour, and I'd help them discover their inner high yellow.

Again, I LOVE your attitude! The epitome of what I know as "accountability". To see the reality of a situation and respond to it as it is (instead of how it 'should' be).

I don't know if you've ever seen "the Rocketeer", but there's a scene where the main characters have been working hard to get this stunt airplane ready to fly. It's a gorgeous little plane and they're so proud and they've worked many, many hours to get it ready. On its maiden flight, something bursts and oil leaks and the plane goes down, the pilot barely escaping with his life. Once it comes to a stop on the runway and the flames are out, the older character says, "Well, that's the end of that."

He doesn't cry or throw a fit or go into a rampage, he just sees what's in front of him and accepts it. Pure accountability! And I love it!

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I just wanted to say that it's a trap to list the "bad" things about any certain situation. If I focus on the bad, that's where my energy goes and that's how I feel, and I forget about the stuff to be grateful for! If I focus on the "good" (as in the previous paragraph) what do I have to feel bad about? Things suck. But if I hold the attitude that "Things Suck" that's exactly where I'm going to live.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I however am not one to pretend that life is all "flowers and sausages", so to speak. It doesn't really get me down to think about the negative aspects of life, even to the degree that what many deem negative, I embrace. It just helps me appreciate all that life has to offer really...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm told that I'm fortunate that I don't "have" to think about race. But nobody does. It's always a choice.

I think you are fortunate, from what I have seen most people do consider their race a central part of their identity.

[edit on 14-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join