It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture the sun same time every day of the year...What do you get?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Amazing photos~ I also can see~
But one thing I was thinking, difference location and difference time to take this kind of SUN photo, it will be the same?

Thank for sharing.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Originally posted by a1ex
From wiki
We have:
"The precise origins of the infinity symbol ∞ are unclear. "

alex,
Although the origins of the lazy eight symbol are unclear the symbol can be compared to some mid evil symbols. The symbol has also been used in botany to represent a large number of stamens, or petals. It has also been used with other symbols for a double infinity.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by RedGolem]

Im just trying to find out if the infinity symbol's origin was due to early obsevations of the sun's analemma. Either infinity or number 8..

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Connected
A genius by the name of Edward Leedskalnin who claims to know the secret of the universe, and the secret of the pyrimids, and built a castle by himself using 30+ ton blocks, and also created a free energy alternating current generator, also created this sundial out of coral rock at his castle. This sundial is unique, and he claims it proves that modern day astronomy is incorrect.

Here is a picture of his sundail which also can tell the time of day.

You can read more about him at coralcastle.com or just google his name.

There are many many storys about this legend.

One analemma after another...

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
CONNECTED, did you know leedskalnin had written a book? Well a pamphlet really. I found an old out of print copy online a couple of years ago. I really want to get out to florida to see the coralcastle someday as I am familiar with his work.

His analemma stone is remarkable, thanks for reminding me of it.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex

Im just trying to find out if the infinity symbol's origin was due to early obsevations of the sun's analemma. Either infinity or number 8..

The sorce did not make that conection, and it seems I forgot to post the sorce hear it is.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Remember the movie "Castaway". He plotted one one the cave wall by marking a spot each day. Also, some older globes used to have one on them.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

The extent of tilt and distortion observed would depend on your latitude no?

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Gools]

I think so too..
I bet it would be most pronounced at the poles(a real 'fat' analemma) and least pronounced at the equator(flat analemma?).

EDIT: No wait.. or could it be like this?

You get the infinity/figure-8 analemma as you move towards the poles and you get more of a tear-drop analemma(or an analemma with one loop pronounced and the other flat/nonexistant) as you move towards the equator.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Since in Greece the analemma looks like a number 8 as shown:

and the grrek cul;ture was very advance is there any historical link of the infinity symbol and early Greece?

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ummm form wiki again:
en.wikipedia.org...(number)

We have:

In the beginning, various groups in India wrote eight more or less in one stroke as a curve that looks like an uppercase H with the bottom half of the left line and the upper half of the right line removed. At one point this glyph came close to looking like our modern five. With the western Ghubar Arabs, the similarity of the glyph to five was banished by connecting the beginning and the end of stroke together, and it was only a matter of the Europeans rounding the glyph that led to our modern eight.

....And I thought i was up to something,

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

Originally posted by Gools

The extent of tilt and distortion observed would depend on your latitude no?

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Gools]

I think so too..
I bet it would be most pronounced at the poles(a real 'fat' analemma) and least pronounced at the equator(flat analemma?).

EDIT: No wait.. or could it be like this?

You get the infinity/figure-8 analemma as you move towards the poles and you get more of a tear-drop analemma(or an analemma with one loop pronounced and the other flat/nonexistant) as you move towards the equator.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by Daedalus3]

See my post above in greece it looks like an 8....
Ill try to put a collection of pictures form around the world ... when i get the time.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Origin of Infinity symbol, but no one actually knows the original origin.

altreligion.about.com...

The mathematical symbol for infinity is called the lemniscate. The infinity sign was devised in 1655 by mathemetician John Wallis, and named lemniscus (latin, ribbon) by mathemetician Bernoulli about forty years later.

The lemniscate is patterned after the device known as a mobius (named after a nineteenth century mathemetician Mobius) strip. A mobius strip is a strip of paper which is twisted and attached at the ends, forming an 'endless' two dimensional surface.

The religious aspect of the infinity symbol predates its mathematical origins. Similar symbols have been found in Tibetan rock carvings; and the ouroboros, or infinitysnake, is often depicted in this shape. In the tarot, it represents the balance of forces and is often associated with the magician card.

Related Symbols:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I wonder if there have been any crop circles with this shape.

Dae

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thought Id share this one, its the analemma of mars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join