It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates Will Replace Migrants in Colorado Fields

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think its a great idea, If they got rid of the 60 cents pay of course. They shouldn't be paying these criminals for labor. But it's definately a good idea to put them to work to deter illegal immigration work.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Well it's a natural decision for a debased society.

I mean as long as we have the largest prison population proportionally on the planet, mostly nonviolent drug offenders, we might as well use them as a source of slave labor, right?

Go back and read the thread. It would consist of voluntary prisoners.

And slaves don't get paid a wage, at least none that I know of.

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
I can't think of a single taxpayer who would volunteer to pump more money into an already bloated area of the budget.

Once again, missing the point. If they work on farms, the farm owners would pay their wages. If they work on highways, the controlling management, private or public, would pay their wages. Etc., etc.

The beauty of it is, if managed properly, it would take away the job pool from illegal immigrants while at the same time providing a service to society.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
And slaves don't get paid a wage, at least none that I know of.

well actually a form of slaves do. The slave owner pays them x amount to work, but they live on the property of the slave owner with the other slaves and get food from the slave owner. So the slave owner charges them X amount plus extra to create a never ending debt. In a sense the slave becomes forever in debt to the slave owner.

The beauty of it is, if managed properly, it would take away the job pool from illegal immigrants while at the same time providing a service to society.

now that is something we can agree on.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Once again, missing the point. If they work on farms, the farm owners would pay their wages. If they work on highways, the controlling management, private or public, would pay their wages. Etc., etc.

I haven't missed the point. In my state, the taxpayer foots the bill. Period.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I haven't missed the point. In my state, the taxpayer foots the bill. Period.

and in return the taxpayer gets road improvement, trash cleanup on the sides of roads, janitorial services in public buildings, etc. when you consider that we are already paying for the prisoners room and board, and the work would cost significantly more if done by a private contractor or county employee, i'd say it's a pretty good deal.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by shots
I also like the concept, but I do have a problem with paying them only 60 cents a day. Other then that I think it is a win win situation.

In this case, I would support paying them minimum wage for their work. You would get many volunteers, the fields would get planted/harvested, and you would see the illegals scrambling back home.

I agree with both... I think this is a good and wise solution on many levels. I also agree that they should be paid more than 60 cents per day, though I'm not sure I'd agree to full minimum wage.

This will solve the problem of illegals in the field work, but won't address the hiring of them in other areas such as the construction trade. However, with fewer jobs, it would be easier to enforce green card policies.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
I think its a great idea, If they got rid of the 60 cents pay of course. They shouldn't be paying these criminals for labor.

They have to pay them it is the law, otherwise it would be considered slave labor. Oregon pays all of their prisoners minimum wage for all work that their prisoners do and in turn charges the prisoners for room and board.

Source

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
They have to pay them it is the law, otherwise it would be considered slave labor. Oregon pays all of their prisoners minimum wage for all work that their prisoners do and in turn charges the prisoners for room and board.

Well I never said the law was right. Criminals, as far as I can see, can be treated as slaves since they serve no other purpose. They don't deserve pay, and they don't deserve to be able to just sit around in jail.

But the oregon Idea is a good one. pay them minimum wage then just make them pay for themselves in jail. As long as they aren't making any money while they are in jail I am happy.

Jail time is not for their benefit.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
and in return the taxpayer gets road improvement, trash cleanup on the sides of roads, janitorial services in public buildings, etc. when you consider that we are already paying for the prisoners room and board, and the work would cost significantly more if done by a private contractor or county employee, i'd say it's a pretty good deal.

I'm not disputing this. My statement was in response to an earlier post.

[edit on 3/6/2007 by Creep Thumper]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
nevermind...no sense in pointing out obvious ignorance.

[edit on 3/6/07 by snafu7700]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

nevermind...no sense in pointing out obvious ignorance.

If you want to tell me I'm stupid, say so outright in a U2U instead of in a public forum. If you think I'm wrong, then you need to restate your beliefs differently so that your message is clearer to me, instead of assuming I'm an idiot.

I'm not the moron you seem to think I am. I've got 18 years of schooling and two degrees on my wall.

I'd appreciate a civil exchange. If you can't address me without insulting me then you shouldn't post at all.

I await a more civil explanation of our apparent miscommunication regarding using inmates for civilian work details.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

If you want to tell me I'm stupid, say so outright in a U2U instead of in a public forum.

stupid....now that's an extremely low level word for someone so highly educated...couldnt you have at least come up with asinine or something?

but since you threw it out there: stupid is as stupid does.

If you think I'm wrong, then you need to restate your beliefs differently so that your message is clearer to me, instead of assuming I'm an idiot.

man, somebody's got their panties in a wad. do we have an inferiority complex?

I'm not the moron you seem to think I am. I've got 18 years of schooling and two degrees on my wall.

ooooohhhh. ahhhhhhhh. let me guess....18 years of public school, a high school diploma, and an associates in muscle building.

I'd appreciate a civil exchange.

after this post? LMAO.

If you can't address me without insulting me then you shouldn't post at all.

which was exactly the reason i erased my post and replaced it with "nevermind." in your previous post you obviously mistook me for someone who doesnt know how to read.....and it was quite obvious that you lied, so i decided that there was no reason to point that fact out, as it was so blatantly obvious, and your response simply intensifies your ignorance.

I await a more civil explanation of our apparent miscommunication regarding using inmates for civilian work details.

yeah, because your last post was so civil.

no miscommunication. i simply pointed out that you were wrong and you decided to lie and insist you were talking about something else. pretty obvious to me. i'm through with you....dont much care for your kind, so go ahead and flame me, as i wont be responding and dont much care about having the last word.

and by the by for everyone else....is it just me, or is there a huge rash of people who seem to thing that lying is the way to win a debate (nevermind that it's against the TOC)? been encountering alot of it lately, and it's beginning to disgust me.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

...is it just me, or is there a huge rash of people who seem to thing that lying is the way to win a debate (nevermind that it's against the TOC)? been encountering alot of it lately, and it's beginning to disgust me.

Since this person cannot make a civil post and has decided to take the easy way out of this discussion, I would appreciate it if anyone else reading this thread would explain to me what he claims I'm lying about.

At the moment I am doubly confused. I've told no lies. I've stated the facts as they are in the state where I live and work.

What the hell is he talking about?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join