It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Egyptian FM Beaten Unconscious in Jerusalem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Just heard wire reports from reuters that the egyptian foreign minister has been beaten unconscious in Jerusalem whilst visiting the PM.

Details follow.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Any links yet? I wasn't aware he was there....(then again, not like I'm tracking his movements or anything, just heard no news of it....)

Thanks,

EDIT: No update yet on Reuters' page...but there is a blurb that he is meeting Sharon in Jerusalem.... Guess we'll have to watch this....

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Sharon meets Egyptian FM for talks on peace process

By The Associated Press and Haaretz Service

JERUSALEM - Prime Minister Ariel Sharon indicated to Egypt's foreign minister Monday that Israel would respond favorably to a cease-fire offer from Palestinian militants, an Israeli official said.

Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher met with Sharon and other senior Israeli officials during his first trip to Israel in more than two years. He was in Israel in an effort to restart talks on the stalled U.S.-backed road map plan for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

Egypt, which has often played a mediator's role between Israel and the Palestinians, has been pressuring Palestinian militants to halt attacks on Israel.

The militants have so far rebuffed the Egyptian efforts. Israel has also largely dismissed talk of a cease-fire, saying that the militant groups must be dismantled, as required by the road map.

But in a potential shift that could breathe new life into the efforts, Sharon indicated to Maher Monday that Israel would halt activity against the militants if there is a cease-fire.

"We will respond to quiet with quiet," said a senior source in the prime minister's office, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Sharon also raised the situation of Israeli citizen Azzam Azzam, who has been imprisoned in Egypt for espionage for the past eight years, and Maher promised he would convey the contents of their conversation to Mubarak.

The source said the meeting had gone very well, and that Maher indicated that the talks could lead to a summit between Sharon and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak - something Mubarak has avoided since Sharon, a career hardliner, came to power in 2001.

"Maher spared no effort to show that they want to warm up relations," the source said.

After meeting with Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom, Maher told a news conference that he was very optimistic that the cease-fire talks with the Palestinian factions would be successful, and that he emerged from his meetings with the Israelis with a feeling that the road map can be revived.

"Let's start this road which will lead us to a solution and to peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis, which will be beneficial to the whole region," Maher said. "So, I come out from here encouraged, but the encouragement needs to be followed up by actions, we hope to see actions from both sides as soon as possible."

Shalom told reporters after the meeting that he intends to accept his Egyptian counterpart`s invitation to visit Cairo.

Under the road map, Palestinians must dismantle violent groups, and Israel has to halt construction in settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and take down unauthorized outposts. Neither side has carried out these obligations.

Egypt withdrew its ambassador in protest against Israeli actions shortly after the current round of violence erupted in September 2000, and the ambassador has not returned since.

Egypt has continued to play a mediator's role, however.

Egyptian officials confirmed that Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, who has been mediating the internal Palestinian cease-fire talks, would travel to the West Bank next week with Maher for talks with Palestinian leaders.

Israeli officials hoped that Maher's visit Monday would signal a new era of closer ties.

"I am sure that this visit will contribute to the strengthening of relations between Egypt and Israel," Sharon said. "I hope this visit will contribute to our relationship with the Palestinian Authority and our efforts to reach a peace agreement."

Sharon has grown impatient with the impasse with the Palestinians and has pushed for tough action by the Palestinian Authority against the militant groups.

Just saw the report of him beating beaten on CNN International.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is unbelivable!!!

Get back ASAP when you got something!

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Found something...

> BREAKING NEWS
Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher in good condition after being attacked in a mosque in Jerusalem. Details soon.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Al-Jazeera hasn't jumped on it yet....

Thanks Nerdling.....

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
SkyNews just got it...

www.sky.com...

POLITICIAN BEATEN UNCONSCIOUS

Egypt's Foreign Minister has been beaten unconscious by Muslims while visiting the al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem.

Witnesses told the Reuters news agency Ahmed Maher was attacked by Palestinians while praying in the holy site.

A report by Associated Press said Muslims threw shoes at the minister.

He was surrounded by bodyguards and then shouted "I'm choking, I'm choking," the agency reported as he was taken away.

He is reported to have regained consciousness after being taken to hospital and is in a good condition.

Maher was in the country to hold negotiations with Israeli leaders about resuming talks with the Palestinians.

More follows . .

MUSLIMS ATTACKED HIM???? AHAHAHAHA!

offensive comment edited out there Nerdling.

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by observer]

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'd imagine that many palestinian terrorist leaders aren't too happy about the "road map"...

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Link!

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher has been attacked in Jerusalem at the Al Aqsa Mosque, one of Islam's most sacred sites, Israeli police said.

Maher was rescued Monday by Israeli police and taken to a hospital by ambulance, where he was listed in good condition.

The people who attacked him have not been identified.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Of course not, because all who witnessed it, were likely egging them on....

Something tells me that the roadmap is destined to go off track, and that Sharon's plan B will swing into action before the month of April....

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Officials said dozens of worshippers inside the mosque, said to be members of a small extremist Islamic group called the Liberation Party, threw shoes at him and shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is great).

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What I want to know is where Egypt stands on the palestinians now. Egypt might become a backer of Isreal again...

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
What I want to know is where Egypt stands on the palestinians now. Egypt might become a backer of Isreal again...

Surely seems that Palestinians already think so..

'Stoning' their FM with shoes and all..

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Link!

"Ahmad Mahir is confronted by
angry Palestinians in Al-Quds"

Eyewitnesses told al-Jazeera.net around two hundred worshippers scolded Mahir, calling him a "traitor."

Mahir reportedly fainted and was taken outside the mosque by Islamic wakf (religious trusts) guards who formed a human chain around him.

"He wasn't physically attacked, and nobody touched him in the first place," said Muhammed Sub-Laban, who witnessed the incident inside the Aqsa complex.

Earlier reports said Mahir was shoved and heckled by some worshippers who were angry at Egypt's "indecisive stand" towards the Israeli occupation of Palestine.

Seems like he got over exited and just fainted..
(heart?)

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Boy the Palastinains have screwd up big time here, its almost as bad as assasinating him... talk about a blow to pride...

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Geeez, this isnt the smartest thing to do from a Palestinian perspective.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I met that guy this summer while in dc.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I met that guy this summer while in dc.

How, why, who?

Wanna share?

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The middle east problem will never be solved. Until the truth is revealed about the reilgions.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by akummma
The middle east problem will never be solved. Until the truth is revealed about the reilgions.

it will be solved when Iseral goes on with its PLAN B!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join