It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Design for Warhead Is Awarded to Livermore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

New Design for Warhead Is Awarded to Livermore

Source Link: [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/03/washington/03nuke.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1172940408-kcfPzhg7YKxFw5xz4aaYPQ]www.nytimes.com[/url ]

The Bush administration announced yesterday the winner of a competition to design the nation’s first new nuclear weapon in nearly two decades and immediately set out to reassure Russia and China that the weapon, if built, would pose no new threat to either nation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Great, all we need is more nuclear weapons

I'm just glad for once it's not being developed in my back yard(figuratively) at Los Alamos. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we being just the slightest bit hypocritical here? I mean we're on NK's ass about nuclear weapons, we destroyed Iraq over their supposed WMD's, we're on Iran's case about possible weapons being developed, yet we build more nuclear weapons. If people truly want to be able to say "You can't produce nuclear weapons" then nobody should be allowed to have them. This includes the US at this point in time. We are very dangerous with GWB still at the helm, and this will only serve o upset the international community more in regards to what we are doing. I just can't wait till 2009 when bush is outta there, that is if he doesn't trigger a thermonuclear war first.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we being just the slightest bit hypocritical here?

It wouldn't be the first time that question was asked:

Almost all countries in the world, including the United States, have signed up to the nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT). This treaty obliges all countries to negotiate a treaty banning nuclear weapons. Instead, George W. Bush is pushing for the development of new nuclear weapons, refuses to take even small steps towards nuclear disarmament, and shares his nuclear weapons with NATO allies (this sharing of nuclear weapons is also banned under the NPT).

The United States currently has the world's largest nuclear weapons force, almost with an estimated stockpile of almost 10,000 weapons. Each of these nuclear weapons could kill many thousands of people, and cause huge environmental destruction.

Fifteen years after the end of the Cold War, the United States continues to spend billions of dollars annually to maintain and upgrade its nuclear forces. It has nuclear weapons on land, in the air and under the sea.

It is also the only country to deploy nuclear weapons on the territory of other countries, under the NATO nuclear sharing agreement.

Source.

Not a day goes by without a member of team Bush lecturing us on the threat from weapons of mass destruction and assuring us of the absolute primacy they give to halting proliferation. How odd then that the review conference on the non-proliferation treaty will break up this evening, barring an 11th-hour miracle, with no agreed conclusions. And how strange that no delegation should have worked harder to frustrate agreement on what needs to be done than the representatives of George Bush.

Source.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I already created a thread on this topic.

Feds Select Plan for New Nuclear Warhead

new topics

top topics

join