It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stolen painting found in Spielberg's house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Stolen painting found in Spielberg's house

Source Link: showbizandstyle.inquirer.net

LOS ANGELES – The US Federal Bureau of Investigation said Friday it has found a Norman Rockwell painting, "Russian Schoolroom," which was stolen in 1973, in the home of film director Steven Spielberg.

The painting was stolen from a Norman Rockwell exhibit in Clayton, Missouri, and did not surface until 1988, when it was sold at auction in New Orleans, Louisiana, the FBI said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Spielberg has a very large collection of illustrations by Normal Rockwell and Maxfield Parrish. I had the opportunity to mount some of them in the Norman Rockwell museum several years ago while I was working on an exhibit there. At the time, we were prohibited from disclosing that Spielberg was the owner due to security and insurance concerns.

Sadly, in the art world theft and ownership is a sticky tale. Many works of art have changed hands numerous times under dubious circumstances. Many were stolen by governments or their agents during wars and similar circumstances. Many museums exhibit stolen art and refuse to return them.

In this case I believe Spielberg simply bought an illustration at auction, only later to find out it was a stolen work of art.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The question is, should he be reimbursed if he gives the painting back? Or had he had it so long that he shouldn't have to give it back?

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Most state and federal laws come under this umbrella, whether he knew or not he can still be prosecuted ( but then again he who owns the gold makes the rules too ) If it was you or I that bought a Stolen TV from a Pawn shop we'd be stuck in the hoosegow in a heart beat. At the very Least he "should" be out the monies he paid for it and it should be returned to the rightful owner.

external source

.....It is incumbent upon anyone who is buying or reselling artwork to undertake due diligence..........

www.findarticles.com...

[edit on 4-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
Most state and federal laws come under this umbrella, whether he knew or not he can still be prosecuted ( but then again he who owns the gold makes the rules too ) If it was you or I that bought a Stolen TV from a Pawn shop we'd be stuck in the hoosegow in a heart beat. At the very Least he "should" be out the monies he paid for it and it should be returned to the rightful owner.

There is no intention of anyone pressing charges against Steven.

It was one of his employees who identified the painting, brought it to his attention, and they then reached out to the authorities.

They are no working on what to do about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just gave it back. I'd be highly surprised if he seeked financial reimbursement for this painting, lord knows he's got more than enough money.

Here's a link to the AP story posted on CNN.

-The Big O

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Before we point too many fingers, realize that it was Spielberg's staff that realized one of their own was actually stolen, and then proceeded to report it. This was not a case where somebody intervened in on him. They had noticed that one of their own was stolen, and then proceeded to notify the authorities.

Ignorance... Please.

I appreciate the honesty here. Plenty of others would of ignored it or taken strides to cover up that they even had it in their possession.

top topics

join