It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Man has Developed Rabies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Canadian Man has Developed Rabies

Source Link: www.cbc.ca

An Alberta man who was bitten by a bat while sleeping has developed rabies, which rarely affects humans but is often deadly, an Alberta Health official said Friday. The man — who lives east of Edmonton — did not get vaccinated after he was attacked in August 2006 and is now in serious condition in hospital, said Dr. Karen Grimsrud, a provincial health officer.

Rabies, which ravages the brain and spinal cord, is fatal in more than 50 per cent of human cases that are not immediately treated.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Ya, this is like the first case in what 20-30 years? I'd hate to be the guy to break that record, yeesh.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Actually I had always heard that rabies was one of the few diseases that was 100% fatal unless treated.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It's unfortunate that he went so long without having it treated. Being bit by a bat is certainly something that you would want to kick yourself in the ass to go get checked out. Even if it is bad news, in a situation like this, any news is good news. It had said that when treated quickly, it is beatable. Only when it goes untreated is it fatal.

Unfortunate.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Actually I had always heard that rabies was one of the few diseases that was 100% fatal unless treated.

A Wisconsin Girl aged 15 was bitten in 2004 and it took one month for the symptoms to show. She is or was the very first to survive.

Recovery of a Patient from Clinical Rabies --- Wisconsin, 2004

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Thats what I thought. I have heard that it is a horrible way to die. Come to think of it other than either in your sleep, in the middle of an orgasm or a sudden and massive heart attack; there aren't many pleasant ways to go.... but rabies is one of the worst.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Thats what I thought. I have heard that it is a horrible way to die.

She did not die though, she survived.

I do recall reading in a local paper that because she was the first to ever survive perhaps they might develop a vaccination using her blood.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
No... I understood that... i was just commenting in general that I have heard that it was a horrible way to go.

new topics

top topics

join