It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany preparing for moon mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Original Breitbart.com
The German space agency is reportedly preparing for a mission to the moon.
The head of the German Space Programme (DLR), Walter Doellinger, told the Financial Times Deutschland that it would be ready by 2013 to send an unmanned space shuttle to orbit the earth's only natural satellite.

"We want to show that Germany has the know-how," he said, after the DLR presented its plans for the mission to the German parliament.

Completing a moon mission would catapult the country into the league of nations which can send spacecraft into orbit.

Doellinger said the federal government was mulling the project.

A high-ranking official in the economy ministry, Helge Engelhard, said Berlin was "not negatively disposed" towards a moon mission.

He added that the mission should have clear scientific or technical goals.

It is estimated that sending a shuttle to orbit the moon would cost Germany between 300 and 400 million euros (396 million to 528 million dollars).

Italy and Britain are also currently looking at sending unmanned shuttles around the moon.

Germany became the first nation to launch a man-made object into space in the 1940s when it tested the V-2 ballistic missile which it used towards the end of World War II.

Maybe this will push the US to finally start exploring the rest of the galaxy.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Perhaps what they mean is that the next time Bush comes to Germany, 20,000,000 Germans are going to take their pants down and wave their buts at him.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is a chance for the "Fatherland" to regain some of the prestiege that it has lost in the last two world wars.

Personally I hope maybe it will force the US to out do them like they eventually did with the Russians.

There are already US, Russia, Japan, French and the Chinese that I know of who have plans on space.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The latest lunar orbiters would be the Indian 'Chandrayaan-1' in 2008 and a Chinese orbiter around the same time(late 2007).
The Indian orbiter has some NASA instruments on board I think.
www.isro.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Both India and China plan to land motorised remote vehicles on the lunar surface around 2012-2015.
Chandrayaan-2
www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
We need a base there now. Before some one from China or France, Germany takes a dump on the flag that never moves.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
We need a base there now. Before some one from China or France, Germany takes a dump on the flag that never moves.

I don't think so. Why do Americans have the need to be in control of everything.
Give some other country's a chance

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You are from the land of OZ I will educate you..

I don't really care about all that.

I care that we explore space. The only thing that will accomplish that is for us to start anothe space race. We need to feel like we are in a competition in order to acceive anything. Look at the last moon race, if it weren't for the Russians we would still be looking at the moon and wondering. That's just the way we are. We like to be the first, the best. America only likes a winner. We are the greatest country on Earth, its because of competition.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Nobody will be able to get a base there before 2020.
And most probabaly it would be a joint venture; anything else would be cost prohibitive.

top topics

join