It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal with David Blaine?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Is this guy for real or not?

It seems like this guy is actually gifted or whatever. I mean I just saw him rip a card into four pieces then make it whole again.

What are everybody elses' thoughts on this guy? Can he really do this stuff?

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   

It seems like this guy is actually gifted or whatever. I mean I just saw him rip a card into four pieces then make it whole again.

This is what magicians/illusionists do. Tricks that people think are actuall events. He is a gifted magician/illusionist but, everything he does is a trick, cool and amazing tricks but, still tricks.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Does anybody know how to explain any of the things he does?

edit: He's on TLC right now.

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by jackopsychopants]

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I can't explain the things he does. Magicians are very protective of their secrets though. If I could explain it, I could do it, then it wouldn't be cool. If I told my friends how I do my card tricks, they would quit losing money to me. I don't think he's going to tell us how he does the things he does.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If you don't know how he does his tricks than how can you be sure he is not for real?

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It's his job to make people think he's for real. If the things he does weren't tricks, he could use them to gain power and prestige, maybe even change the world. He doesn't though, he does tricks to make money from people who think he's for real.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
David Blaine does his levitation trick using a Balducci levitation method. Do a web search, and youll probably be able to find instructions on how to do it. Its really simple, but very angle sensitive.
Other than that, his card tricks arent much of anything new, he just utilises double lifts a lot, among a few other conjuring techniques.
If you look hard enough for this info, you will find it.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:27 AM
link   
haha thats funny as hell.. i just turn on TLC and david is on doing some card tricks and then i go on here and i see this post hahahahah ... ohhhhhhh man

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
/magic trick spoilers/

Yeah, the levitation thing is just basically standing with your feet at a certain angle to the viewer, and pushing yourself up on one foot.

The one where both feet get off the ground is camera trickery at its finest. Basically he is lifted on wires, but they show the reaction to a different trick.

The one where he bites off half of the quarter, that's a bendable quarter, it bends in the middle, my dad has one. He goes to 'bite it' and just folds it underneath his thumb. Blow on it and move the thumb and let the Quarter go back to its original state.

The one where he has the quarter on the chubby kid in the coats hand (.......Cool), he moves his hands over it and it disappears.. he does that by having something wrapped around his finger, or hand, i dont remember.. it's a magnet, and then when you make the final pass as it's gone, it snaps back to a thing you have wrapped around your waist/chest, inside your coat or shirt or whatever. My dad has this thing, too. I can't remember what it's called.

So, yeah. I'm not sure about the latest stunts, though.. those might be real, but i don't know. The tricks are just tricks.

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by Zodiac]

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hi all!!

Following this discussion with interest - thanx!

One thing about Mr Blaine is that he certainly seems to have some personality disorders, IMHO, or exhibited a very "non-co-operative" stance when he was on GMTV recently, as follows:

"Our Eamonn was mystified by David Blaine's antics when he last interviewed the magician live on the GMTV sofa.

Blaine's last trip to the GMTV sofa In the now legendry interview, Eamonn was met with a blank stare from Blaine as he refused to talk to our amiable presenter, instead choosing to show a baffled Eamonn the palm of his hand on which was drawn an eye."

For someone who was there to promote his "Above the Below" event, etc, this was - to me - rather peculiar behaviour...

Full story

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   

This is what magicians/illusionists do. Tricks that people think are actuall events. He is a gifted magician/illusionist but, everything he does is a trick, cool and amazing tricks but, still tricks

Yep..

As far as how he does it, just do a search on "David Blaine Secrets" and you'll be able to find out (though most of it will cost you some dough, especially for the real juicy stuff....) I'd highly suggest trying to find some of the "Secrets of Magic" tv specials on tape, etc. as they will start to explain how an illusionist's job is misdirection, forced perspective, and mental manipulation. A trick is just a trick, but it still takes a talented performer to really pull one off well. I know how a ton of magic tricks are done (and even know a couple of people who were/are professionally involved in the magic industry), but I don't have the performance skills to pull off more than simple tricks to mess with the kiddies......

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It's all a trick, I saw a show where another Magician gave away some of Blain's secrets.

The one's where Blain would have someone's name show up on a car driving by or something like that, the camera crew were involved and the person being "tricked", it was all a set up.

I still enjoy watching him though, it's funny to see how people react.

I actually did the "levitation" trick, fooled 3-4 people, it was funny.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
that levitation trick is such a scam. In reality, he lifts himself of off of the ground a few inches (Elevated should know). Then on his television program they show him rise on cables. The reactions of the people are real. What you at home see him do is not what the people on the street see. They just dont show you the people who catch on to his tricks.

I just cant get over how he says that no trick photography was used........

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
yeah, seapeople, it's a trick, you lift yourself up with one foot.. but the angle of your body has to be correct or it can be seen.

stand with you back to "whoever", slighty turned to the right, then with your left foot, lift yourself up using your toes only, if done correctly it looks like both feet are off of the ground.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yes David Blaine is entertaining to watch, but becomes a bit boring.

Most card tricks are done the exact same way (including forces) but the
ending result is different.

A lot of his tricks are gimmicked tricks i.e folding quarter.
The trick where the quarter completely dissapears is done
with a device called the raven.

All magic tricks involve missdirection....when you are expecting a certain result, a completely different result happens.

Also in his T.V. special....he mainly does tricks to people who give
the most extravagant reactions...stupid people, poor people, street bums.

All his tricks are revealed on the web, and once you know how they are
done, he does not seem magical at all.....he is actually very boring.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cardsharp
....he is actually very boring.

I have to disagree. I fine his "ho-hum" laid back style of tricks more entertaining than the flashy, glamour and glitter of Sig & Roy, Lance Burton, David Copperfield, etc. All of those Las Vegas type acts leave me bored. I rather like the "street bum" reaction.

Exception: Roy's great Tiger Trick recently. Now that was entertaining.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zodiac
/magic trick spoilers/

The one where he has the quarter on the chubby kid in the coats hand (.......Cool), he moves his hands over it and it disappears.. he does that by having something wrapped around his finger, or hand, i dont remember.. tunts, though.. those might be real, but i don't know. The tricks are just tricks.

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by Zodiac]

That trick is called the Raven. You can buy it at any magic shop, just like most of the tricks you see him do. Most of the card tricks are slieghts though. They take a little practics...

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Ah, yeah, the Raven... I knew it was some R word. I knew a magnet had to be involved.

Do you know, what about the one where he throws all of the cards at the restaurant window, and the card they picked turns out to be on the inside, facing out? Is that just another person involved?

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
yeah he used to freak me out too, i thought he was one of the last "real" magicians, untill i saw the masked magician do "street magic" complete with the bringing insects and birds back to life...i was sorely disappointed

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'd say the deal is about $3-$5 million a show, including video/DVD sales, and the sorry assholes who believe he's for real and pay to watch his sorry #. He's an illusionist, nothing more.

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by John Nada]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join