It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamer wins lawsuit over hacked account!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I just cant believe this!! Imagine how many people would file suit if they could against Sony when they loose thier loot on Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies!

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- A Chinese court has ordered an online video game company to return hard-won virtual property, including a make-believe stockpile of bio-chemical weapons, to a player whose game account was looted by a hacker.

Li Hongchen, 24, had spent two years, and 10,000 yuan ($1,210) on pay-as-you-go cards to play, amassing weapons and victories in the popular online computer game Hongyue, or Red Moon, before his "weapons" were stolen in February, the Xinhua news agency said on Friday.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Disputes over virtual properties have also soared, Xinhua said.

I can't belive people are suing for imaginary crap.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It may sounds silly, but some people are wasting hours and entire days playing online (not to say "wasting their lifes") so just imagine how irritating and shocking it must have been to get your stuff hacked and stole after such a long period of time.

I'm actually surprised he won his case.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Sets an intriguing precedent...no?

The chinese and japanese gamers take this # VERY seriously....I've seen....

Luckily, I got out of EQ before the addiction was unmanageable......

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's both good and bad..
on the one hand, people who are actually hacked (which is very rare in most MMOG's) have a chance at getting their stuff back..

On the other hand, people who are stupid and give their account info to anyone that asks that they think they know.. can get their stuff back when they are ripped off. (In EQ, I know many people who figured, since they were in the same guild, nobody would take their stuff, so they gave out their account names & password to anyone with the same tag, and almost always lost all their stuff because of it).

And it also lets you set up an easy scam.

Give PW to friend, friend janks your stuff.. you go to the GM's or whatever.. OMG!! I was hacked!! Then you get your stuff back.. and you and your friend just got basically free stuff.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Korean Gamers > All

they are the most hardcore of the hardcore, I know cause I use to play with a few of them... hehe never seen someone who can kill the same mob for weeks on end farming loots

Might not be the best pvpers but they are the best pvers imo

And some people spends years of their lives playing games amassing useless crap.

But who are we to judge?

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I disagree with koreans being the most hardcore when it comes to MMOG's.. I'd say it's the same for all cultures that play MMOG's.. I know plenty of American's, Canadians, that camp the same mob for days on end.. in fact I did it myself a couple times to get some epic weapons in EQ, and other "quests". And at this stage of the game, no powerlevel levels faster than any other.. you can get 1-50+ easily in a few days.. so to say one group of people is better at an easy task than another is foolish.

Also I assume you are talking about Koreans, being the most hardcore because some of them form real life games, who beat down/kill others over games... well that's not really hardcore to me.... That's the ultimate in pussydome if you ask me.. can't beat your opponent at a game, so you kill them, so you won't lose to them anymore.. yeah that shows great hardcore gaming skills.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think this is a great step, in gaming. When every new technologies come out, new laws need to be made to make the technology safe, and user friendly.
With MMORG, you have to pay money to play, or to buy items. Now imagin if you had spent years of your life, and hard earned cash to become great at a particular game, then all of a sudden it is lost to you. This isnt "imaginary crap" people pay for that "crap".

Also i dont think epople are giving this enough attention, are we forgetting in 10 years time online gaming wont be 100 times bigger probably than it is now. Hence the precedent of this lawsuit i think will have a big effect on gaming and our world.

If anyone has seen the movie avalon, a world in which the online gaming is like a perfect VR. Imaging when we get to that stage in technology, how much this lawsuit will mean, for hackers and gamers.

Nip

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
yes another Giant leap for Gamers!

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This "imaginary crap" has a real world value and is analogous to hacking my pin number of my bankcard and clearing my account out.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I must agree, although there is no tangible object to hold and use, this stuff represents a great deal of time and effort.

Analogy:

Imagine a guy likes to build model ships out of toothpicks and glue. He spends $10 on a bottle of glue and thousands of toothpicks, but then proceeds to spend 200 hours building the most intricate model ship you have ever seen. What is that ship worth? $10? Ask that guy how angry he would be if you smashed it on the ground. I bet a great deal angrier than he'd be if he simply lost $10.

I sold a Star Wars Galaxies account for $1600 on Ebay. All I did was email the guy a login and pin. Was it the login and pin he wanted? Or the Jedi I worked a couple of hunded hours to create? He paid for the hours.

I think this is great news people. These publishers need to be held accountable for their product and its security. Just like any other business. It doesnt matter if what they peddle is not a material thing you can hold.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I say fair play, a hacked account was the reason I stopped playing Star Wars: Galaxies, it is incredibly annoying.

Still, I can't see this happening over here, even if someone tried it, they would ridiculed until they stopped.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JFetch

Disputes over virtual properties have also soared, Xinhua said.

Virtual items go for real money on many games now. Some of these items take hundereds of hours and alot of luck to get. People pour thousands of hours into these games. I remeber looking at a player of World of Warcraft (W.O.W) and he had 187 days of gameplay in the game when it had only been out for a year. Thats like 12 hours a day he played

Its insane the amount of effort people put into making ingame scams to steal items from people. Then there is always the dreaded hacker.

Most of the time the game makers make it very clear they are not responsible for lost or stolen items and make you sign (well check a box) for a agreement you read and agreed too before you play.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Nice, good to see someone finally sticking it to the wankers who hijack accounts. I would almost like to see a formula or program to calculate the time put in a game such as WoW added with the ammount spent per month to play the game (ISP and Subscription fees) to come out with a rough value of the account, as I bet some are pretty hefty and would definately warrant legal action if some tardo swipes it.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehippiedude
I just cant believe this!! Imagine how many people would file suit if they could against Sony when they loose thier loot on Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies!

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- A Chinese court has ordered an online video game company to return hard-won virtual property, including a make-believe stockpile of bio-chemical weapons, to a player whose game account was looted by a hacker.

Li Hongchen, 24, had spent two years, and 10,000 yuan ($1,210) on pay-as-you-go cards to play, amassing weapons and victories in the popular online computer game Hongyue, or Red Moon, before his "weapons" were stolen in February, the Xinhua news agency said on Friday.

Dude that was like completly comping what they said.... AKA plajurism. ( IDK how to spell it) But wow and he won though so thats good...he did spend a lot of time and money on it.

Dude he spent a lot of time and money.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
SOrry, have a life, work, friends, I'm not about to go to court if someone hacks my account and steals my entire IK Set, or my Gheed's Charm, or some other silly item that while yes I spent hours to get, but hey, just means I get to play for it again. And yes I use those as examples because it has happened on D2. Made me mad, but hey, the fun isn't in having the item it's getting them! Unless you are a greedy little punk who would rather just give someone money for an item instead of taking the time and skill to win it on their own.

I love video games, and I play to play, not for the items. I can't believe how some people are, I work hard to finally get the IK Armor, while a friend tries to lord it over me his IKA that he bought for ten dollars. But it didn't annoy me, I fought and played for mine, he took two minutes and bought it, I had more fun.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I used to have a Immortal King set too and the Tal rasha set man the glow was the best part even a anni charm I got from uber diablo my pride and joy.

Lost it all because I didnt sign in for over 3 months :shk:

Curse you Blizzard.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I used to have a Immortal King set too and the Tal rasha set man the glow was the best part even a anni charm I got from uber diablo my pride and joy.

Lost it all because I didnt sign in for over 3 months :shk:

Curse you Blizzard.

haha i used to play DIIlod like non-stop years back and pwned(lol) with the barbs and sorceress' lol....im such a nerd

but about the thread topic....i guess i would do that too if i spent money on it but not just sue for online virtual crap but also for real money like saying i had emotional damages lol

Edit:Just noticed how old this article is lol

[edit on 9-3-2006 by TidalWave]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I thought some people on this thread might enjoy this I know I did

Check out what happend to this scammer on W.O.W
The text is so funny wish I was able to do something like this to a scammer at least once.

www.markeedragon.com... Cat/0/Number/81479/an/0/page/0#81479

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Nice, funny, good job. Yeah, I hate how quick they are to cancel accounts, but it's free so can't complain.

Still, stupid to sue over fake things. I can't believe they allowed it, I mean, I can't sue because someone stole my uh, imaginary friend, how can you sue because someone stole your say, ROJ, or something else.

Actually, that's a great idea! He stole my imaginary friend! SUE!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join