It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking Immigration Article -- What Have We Here?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
Yea good call, give 'em all jobs making less than minimum wage in the US and they'll be a lot better off!

Never said that

Have you ever watched Mexican's watch a national soccer match, they are patriotic, and most do not want to be part of the US.

I would never look at a soccer game and come to any conclusion of nationalism.

Your simple solutions to this problem do not touch upon the core issues of illegal immigration instead you have chosen to become indifferent to it's causes and thus feel isolated and helpless on the issue.

Annexing Mexico would not be a simple solution, I am sure that the corrupt government would put up quite the fight. Any helplessness I feel is strictly related to our governments inaction to something that has been a reported problem for 30+ years. Our government has been playing kickball for a long time on this issue. Do you honestly think that something will happen now?

American businesses should be helping to solve the issues of poverty in Mexico and other countries in which it has employees
They should be accountable for the welfare of such employees.

Since when does a business have responsibility to look after the welfare of employees, other than paying a fair market wage?

American companies should look at foreign operations as an opportunity to be ambassadors of American values instead of the current approach which perpetuates poverty which is one of the core causes of illegal immigration.

Any company's goal is to make money, it is strictly a financial decision, to think that these companies have to weigh their decisions more toward moral and not financial would certainly end in the demise of said company.

I often think back to the parable about give a man a fish and feed him for a day or teach a man to fish and feed him for life. The jobs that come from all of these illegal employers are fish, when without the extra competition(illegal labor) these jobs become the equivalent of fishing poles. An example of this is construction jobs in California. Before illegals were allowed "open" access to them they use to pay well and one could make a descent living off of them. Now they pay much less and don't offer benefits, o and if you don't speak spanish don't even bother applying with most places.

If you annex Mexico, you would see a change to this situation, obviously anti-immigration efforts thus far have not made a substantial effect on this problem.

Finally, this is another reason why I prefer Jeffersonian politics over Federalism. Maybe illegal immigration is different in California from that of Virginia. Like anyone in Virginia could understand the problem of illegal immigration in California and why should they! That's why a Californian shouldnt vote on the illegal immigration problem of Virginia just like a Virginian shouldn't vote for a Californian's. Who knows maybe Virginia needs more illegals, all I am saying is that California is packed.

Virginia has it's fair share of illegals and to say otherwise is simply unfounded.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Illegal Immigration in Virginia is different than illegal immigration in California, to suggest that Virginia is just as bad or to suggest Virginia is getting hit just as hard as California because of it is a bad joke. We are talking about 2 differerent states, one that borders Mexico and one that doesn't. One state holds Mexico's third most populous city, (Los Angeles) and one does not.

Just as I can not discuss intelligently or understand the full impact of Puerto Ricans in Florida without being a Floridian you can not understand the impact of illegal Mexican and Central Americans in my home state of California. Sure you can talk about it, but that doesn't mean you understand the issue.

Virginia find someone from Mass. or Vermont to discuss your problems of illegal immigration with, I'm washing my hands of you. After all ATS does tell us to Deny Ignorance!

[edit on 4-3-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
Illegal Immigration in Virginia is different than illegal immigration in California, to suggest that Virginia is just as bad or to suggest Virginia is getting hit just as hard as California because of it is a bad joke.
[edit on 4-3-2007 by Low Orbit]

I never said or implied that the immigration problem is equal in both of our states, I understand your frustrations and I am frustrated as well, I was simply throwing another idea out there based on another member's post.

Do I think it will happen? No, but seeing that our government has basicly done zero to address this problem for 30+ years, I also can't see anything seriously being done about it now.

While you are in a frontline state in the battle, this does not give you rights to lash out, attack and ignore anyone who you deem unworthy in this fight.

I think more ideas need to be presented on how to handle the problem, toss them around and eventually some solution could surface.

Emotional rants will never solve the problem...

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You have voted JacKatMtn for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

this thread has brought aninteresting point up, shouldn't a nation of opportunity extend that opportunity to all?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join