It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Scientists Control Bird's Flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Chinese scientists have succeeded in implanting electrodes in the brain of a pigeon to remotely control the bird's flight, state media said.

hosted.ap.org...

Well first of all, why would people need to control birds flights? Unless it's mailing a letter I guess.

But thats still pretty amazing what they can do. Kind of scary too, though.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It is absolutely amazing how brain science is advancing.

Although on the surface being able to control a pigeons movements may seem pretty useless it actually opens up so many doors. Not only does it give us a better understanding of how the brain works, it paves the way for some sort of rescue animals etc.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Could it be possible to attach a small camera to the bird and fly it into a place to spy? Maybe birds will be the next spys? No one would suspect a bird would be capturing what they say and do.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Birds can equal..humans.

Test the small peasant animals and check if all systems are functioning properly...And then take it to a higher level. Next who would that be ? Humans. Well that is one of the doors that this type of technology opens. Imagine an army of birds containing toxic chemicals being controlled by any military in the world?.....

Positives can equal many negatives that are overlooked.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well,..... this is the next step in the potentially scary future that is ahead. I read about a similar experiment with a shark being controlled underwater. The shark would be used to track submarines.
This reminds me of the fairy tales about evil wizards who controlled the woods,.... where every tree and every animal could be "listening" to the hero of the story and report back to the evil wizard.
Good things can come of it, but an equal share of bad things can come from it too. Think paranoia is going to increase in people over the years? Can't trust a flock of birds in the sky, or that cat sneaking through your back yard.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21

Yeah, there are many possibilties that are pretty scary if you think about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21
Birds can equal..humans.

Test the small peasant animals and check if all systems are functioning properly...And then take it to a higher level. Next who would that be ? Humans. Well that is one of the doors that this type of technology opens. Imagine an army of birds containing toxic chemicals being controlled by any military in the world?.....

That's not going to happen for a long time. All these things do is stimulate the pleasure and pain centers of the brain to entice the animal into doing what the controller wants. Humans would still have the free will to disobey those pleasure/pain signals.

This isn't the first time I've seen remote control of animals. I've seen video of American scientists doing the same thing with rats. It was weird because the rats had these devices attached to their heads.[1]

[1]news.nationalgeographic.com...

new topics

top topics

join