It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Want to be a Legal Immigrant? Pay Me...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The government in their wisdom is now proposing increases to fees charged to immigrants who are trying to live in the US legally. It is unbelieveable check out some of the proposed increases:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Proposes Fee Increases

Some examples of the proposed fee increases follow:

Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card (I-90) – current fee is $190; proposed fee is $290

Petition for Alien Fiancé (I-129F) – current fee is $170; proposed fee is $455

Application to Register Permanent Status or Adjust Status (I-485) – current fee is $325; proposed fee is $905

Application for Naturalization (N-400) – current fee is $330; proposed fee is $595

BOLD:mine

Why make it harder or more expensive to enter the country legally?

They say that the increases would allow them to speed up processing time by 20%, "Of course this would happen, there will probably be more than a 20% decrease in the applications due to the increased fees!"

The government should be making it easier and more appealing to go the legal route, not put up a financial roadblock creating more illegals to deal with.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Because once again the government thinks its fixing a problem when it is only making it worse.

How about ILLEGAL immigrants pay the fees as they are sent back? Wouldnt that be more helpfull?

Everyone, including the government, think americans has a problem with immigrants or mexicans, it is NEITHER! We have a problem with ILLEGAL immigration.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
How about ILLEGAL immigrants pay the fees as they are sent back? Wouldnt that be more helpfull?

Actually I think that enforcing the laws already in place and sending the ILLEGALS packing, thereby recouping some of the Billions of tax dollars spent on catering to the illegals, ie. education, welfare, health care, subsidized housing etc.., the INS could be allotted some of this saving to hire more employees to handle the immigrants who are trying to follow the LEGAL route thus providing better customer service and doing it without jacking up the fees that punish these law abiding applicants.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have long given up on the government actually doing things the right way... I wonder what made them think this was a good idea?

Bob: "Gee, we have a problem with illegal immigration, I wonder how we can fix it..."

Bill: "I got it Bob! Lets make coming into the country legally so expensive that those who want to be legal can't afford it! That'll keep the illegals out!"

Bob: "Brilliant!"

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You gotta shake your head sometimes eh?

One of the main reasons people attempt to get into other countries illegally, is because A) The immigration system is either too slow or too bogged down to let them it. B) They don't have any money in the first place, and are coming into said country to make money.

Making people pay more to be legal is just stupid.

Ah well, maybe there's a classified ad for a border greeter here in Canada somewhere... "Hi, welcome to Canada, choose from a fine selection of jobs in our high tech isles..."

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Because once again the government thinks its fixing a problem when it is only making it worse.

Everyone, including the government, think americans has a problem with immigrants or mexicans, it is NEITHER! We have a problem with ILLEGAL immigration.

You have voted XphilesPhan for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

new topics

top topics

join