It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the moderating in ATS too strict?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Only an uneducated dullard has to use profanity to get their point across...

LOL! Yeah RIGHT! #%$@ That! LOL!

To answer your question, no. I don't think they are any harsher than any other forum I've been on. Some might appear a bit over-zealous, but it's impossible to tell one's inflection and tone on a message board. I suggest that if you have a problem, you grow some courage and address the individual mod that offended you. I don't see why they they wouldn't discuss it with you.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I really don't think it is very strict. I think that new members sometimes need a point in the right direction, which can easily be done via u2u. The recent Anna Nicole Smith thread, half a dozen Race threads in the Social Issues or Slug-Fest forums, or even the OBL arrested in NY thread, are all indicators that the staff are very, very lenient. Rather than coming down with the iron fist, or silencing members on a regular basis, we see posts that warn us over, and over, and over again that our behaviour is out of line.

Now if our posts are filled with profanity, or a blatant attack on another member, maybe our staff is inclined to "step in". But in my experiences, staff tend to deal with things covertly without having to issue them snazzy little red badges.

I think I authored a thread once asking the question if the staff was "too" lenient. Over time I've come to understand that it is a fine line any staff is forced to walk, and I think ATS does a great job. The biggest critics of the staff tend to forget that we are a guest in someone else's home, receiving a service at no cost.

Perfect answer, why you are not a MOD I don't know. Your answer once again is clear and to the point. Now run for president because the grass roots will support you. You are the embodiment of this forum and we need you in a leadership position.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This needs to be brought up...
Because it's becoming clear that this website is not a place to speak your mind...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
no

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by razor1000

Is the moderating in ATS too strict?

i'm thinking about authoring a thread offering ATSers links to all threads who Opening Posts Authors claim to be god, messiah, etc....

i think the moderating in ATS has made room to accomidate open speculation from many various perspectives while simply directing the rhetoric towards a more .. productive .. communication medium for any ATSer..

sometimes science fiction is god to some, and ATS mods may make errors, but hopefully their intervention is merely a reflection of the intent to produce less ignorance .... and promote more productive conversations ... as to the contents of all known and unknown realities and possibilities.

consider the venue ATS offers us
weigh it against the topics we discuss

as a possible suggestion and rule of thumb i personally use here for the most part ...

Unless you are willing to OR HAVE told your own mother to go "F" her God

Then that language is not really something you should practice here

if you can't rationally discredit the logic behind someone's words concerning the ideas they post, or aspects of it, then don't engage them in a war of words.....

some of my thoughts, ...
ET

P.S. ...

I would be lying if i didn't tell you there wasn't a few times i wanted to cuss a mod out ... and did in a u2u on more than one occasion ...

i got/recieved/earned warnings and lost "points" ...

but recently...
a mod smacked me down and locked a thread up ...
we had words via a u2u

and two weeks later the same mod applauses me twice..

why?

because how you feel at home in the privacy of your own comfort level is what you reflect here on ATS posts... a potrait of your logic at any particular time concerning any particular subject..

i have no "respected foes" by my choice.
any ATSer might be my "foe" in 2 or 3 threads, and a more valued "ally" in another thread subject.

do i want to make them a permanent enemy because i do not know how to agree with them on 2 or 3 subjects... no thanks.

some of my thoughts on the OP,

ATSers :shk:

or:

ATSers
BTSers

or:

whatever your mood or opinion is at the time you choose to put down words..

things and stuff,
ET

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Example:
It really
me off that these new
airport scanners can see through my
clothes. Those
screeners are a
bunch of
perverts!

Just a helpful hint.

ooh... let me try ....

Example:
i'm a
PASS A FIST by trade ... and i hope i don't
too
much .... but those airport security laws....

there are no laws against not wearing underwear..

the next time i am going through
TSA screenings at the
airport and they tell me to take off my
belt i am just going to let my
pants fall to my
ankles and
at the TSA operative that they better give me the
tape or i'm suing them for invasion of privates rights, and if they don't like when i dance around like i'm
then they can just ....

yep yep,
things and stuff,
ET

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Get over it. There are rules and if you don't like them, post somewhere else. I am honestly tired of people complaining about the T&C on here. Personally I like how they have a no curse word rule. I don't want to read post after post with swear words because that is exactly what it would turn in to. If you want to debate something then to do it in an adult civilized manner without cursing. You can express how much you hate something without curse words and people will still get it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

So I can argue or debate in a civilized manner when my thread is taken to below top secret because it so much as mentions ATS moderation right? Or that the thread is deleted because of it?
Honestly I love the way this place is set up...Their are just way to many "god-like moderators here that obviously take no blame in breaking their own T&C's (if they have any)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOWILLFALL

ATS moderators are held to higher standards than normal members. If you see a moderator breaking one of the rules, use the complaint feature.

Shesh oh Pete.

If your thread get's moved to BTS, well, that's not a punishment, welcome! Just don't think that BTS runs the same as ATS, we don't put up with BS threads for long here.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

So any contradiction of the way things are run here is BS?
And what do you mean by "we"?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I personally think the rules/T&C on this site are INCREDIBLY LAME!!!

But then again I'm a 5 time banned member, who mostly hangs around for nostalgia reasons, and hasn't contributed anything worthwhile to this site in about 2 years

I've also moved on to greener pastures as far as discussion boards go...so yeah, move along

[edit on 21-6-2010 by nick_napalm]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

So any contradiction of the way things are run here is BS?

What, do you think you are going to trap me in some endless argument about how the T&C is implemented? Really?

We don't entertain that circular logic crap here, we don't entertain the endless baseless bull that gets put on the front page over at ATS. This is BTS, we are far superior. Here you actually have to have an argument or your thread will die. Most of us won't give the time of day to Bull threads. We are more discerning and more particular about the threads we entertain here. In fact, BTS isn't the garbage dump you think it is, we here only care about the absolute Crème de la Crème of threads. If your thread is moved here, and it is actually worthy of discussion, it will be discussed, if not, it goes to the bottom, never to be heard from again.

Moderating is less strict here because we self moderate. We are more adult, we don't succumb to trolls or Timmys here.

And what do you mean by "we"?

We are BTS, You are welcome to join us.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here me people - nobody - can swear the way Shakespeare can do it. Lol.

If you feel you must curse to get your meaning across or just can't let that post go, you know the one where it feels like you just got personally attacked, pull a card from The Man himself. Tell me it doesn't feel good to use insults like:

*You egg, you fry of treachery

*It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

*You whoreson cullionly barbermonger

Ahem...
On another note... No, I've not felt my ability to voice my opinion has been hampered by the Mods.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
wow...been a few weeks for me...

If you can't argue your point without beligerence...you can't argue your point period

If you MUST curse to get out the fact that you hate the Codex or 9/11 OS or whatever then you must have a weak argument to begin with.

Civility isn't the way of ATS, it is the way of life...wish people would practice it. Beligerence is a sign of weakness IMO. It's so whiney to say you are losing your freedoms because you can't drop the F-Bomb.

It just isn't neccessary

My proof? I just discussed how much I don't like the topic of this thread and didn't curse once

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So far I have found the Moderation quite fair and balanced....so far...

But I really wish there was a rant section where I could just let it all out and not have to watch my words so closely.

I have a dilly of a rant that I'm working on, and the only thing holding me up is trying to put into words what I want to say without swearing!!!

It's a dilly I tell ya, a real dilly...........

BTW, what the hell is a dilly?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I said nothing about "dropping the f-bomb"

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Seems like a god complexed persona you have with yourself by all means I hope your helped in some way...
Before myself and everyone else leaves this place...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Seems like a god complexed persona you have with yourself by all means I hope your helped in some way...
Before myself and everyone else leaves this place...

You are of course welcome to leave if you want, we won't try and stop you, frankly we don't care whether you are here or not. You can stay, make some friends, have some fun, get involved with the discussion, or you can log out, and not come back.

If you choose to stay, it means that you choose to abide by the Terms and Conditions of this site, that you agreed to when signing up. If you choose not to abide by those rules, I am sure that before long that choice to stay or leave will be made for you.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Oh I'm sure it will all mighty one...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
*** REMINDER ***

Before this thread gets out of hand.

We must remain civil towards one another.

Thank You.

BTW - If you have a problem with the way this board is managed or with a Staff Member in general, you can always use the complaint feature located in your member center to contact the rest of staff or ATS Admin.

Thank You, come again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join