It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Use The Search or Look For Your Topic BEFORE Posting a New Thread!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Come on People!!!!

About to start a new thread?

BEFORE YOU POST use the search to make sure it's not already posted, or at the very least check the recent posts page to see if it's already posted!

There are way too many duplicate threads going up lately.

breath in.. breath out ... breath in.. breath out....

[edit on 2/27/2007 by Gools]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Indeed I have noticed this as of late too.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thats what I've been saying!!

I even made this

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hasn't this topic been covered?

I've noticed the trend as well.
I guess everyone is racing to get the info up first.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Thats what I've been saying!!

I even made this

That google search button appears to be gone now. Or is it just me?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Search button 'aint there anymore. Admin took it down because of of some issues it apparently caused.

An alternate way to use google to search ATS:
Type in your query, and then put after it site:abovetopsecret.com . That means google will ONLY return hits from the ATS domains.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think this is a good thread to address the "Advanced Search" function of ATS. I do not think that it is very good. Most of the time I find threads with no problem but once in a while I will put in the exact title of a thread and it won't show it to me. Other times I put in key words and nothing. And I think the search layout itself is confusing to a lot of people. "Enter this phrase required enter that, enter this, select this, select that, etc." "Some people" are going to be confused by the advance search. There should just be some generic one line search function. These are just my opinions to make ATS more user friendly.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

An alternate way to use google to search ATS:
Type in your query, and then put after it site:abovetopsecret.com . That means google will ONLY return hits from the ATS domains.

Thats what I do most of the time.

And if you are posting a thread about something very current, be sure to look down the page of the section you want to post it in... perhaps it was covered mere moments ago.

Happened to me quite a few times.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Some,like me,might think the Advanced Search is a little too general with the forum group categories.Some,like me,might want it to be more specific like the way the search feature was before implementing Dark Matter.
Some might be overwhelmed with the possible results.

It could be like an intimidating experience or a confusing experience.
Members could be confused because of the numerous possibilities,thinking
wait should I type this word or that word or that phrase to get a better result.
OR it could be that there were many results from using the search button and the members didn't want to take too long go looking for the right thread.
^^^Hey that reminds me,could people be rushing around a little too much or too often?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Alright, heres the update pic.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is very valid and I want to keep this at the top - hence the bump. It is very frustrating to try and read 3-4 different threads about the same thing.

I have noticed that there has been a huge increase of this in the last couple of days.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Has anyone heard that Al Gore's house uses 20x the energy of the average household?

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Has anyone heard that Al Gore's house uses 20x the energy of the average household?

Peace

Or my new favourite -that the US, Iran and Syria will be holding talks!

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I usually do search using; site:abovetopsecret.com , about thrice in my experience did not detect earlier threads.

I guess, just have to do the hard way. Go thru all the threads?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've often had trouble finding a thread I know exists because one keyword brings back too many results and two or three don't bring the result I expected.

When using multiple keywords it's important to remember that the search engine will search for a post with all of the keywords. If one keyword is found in a post and the other keyword is in the next post of the same thread, that search will not give you a result.

It's not a thread search but a post search. Something to keep in mind.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Bump!

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Search button 'aint there anymore. Admin took it down because of of some issues it apparently caused.

thank you, I thought I was going blind!!
I have been clicking through pages of old threads trying to find stuff.
oh yes and google brings a lot up too.

I just looked again and the advanced search is there, whether or not I am just blind but it wasn't there the other day???

ok maybe I need glasses~!

[edit on 19-3-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
There are way too many duplicate threads going up lately.

breath in.. breath out ... breath in.. breath out....

[edit on 2/27/2007 by Gools]

It is true that there are times when members do not search to see if there are duplicate threads. I have done that in the past. But it is also true that sometimes you don't get returns in your search because the other thread used different words when talking about the same topic.

At times i have searched and found nothing, posted a thread just to find that there was a duplicate of that thread but i didn't find it during my search.

Anyways, i do have a question. We can still post the same topic in different forums right?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Just wanted to add my two cents. I just started a thread and wanted to reference another one to it. I had just looked at it but forgot how I found it in the first place. I searched for a while with multiple keywords that I knew where in the title and in the thread. No luck. I ended up referencing without a link. To bad since they were common topics but not close enough to just add to.

I have had a couple other issues using the search as well.

I’ll try the google thing, but it seems weird to have to use a external site to find a thread.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoknew
I searched for a while with multiple keywords that I knew where in the title and in the thread. No luck. I ended up referencing without a link. To bad since they were common topics but not close enough to just add to.

What terms were you using for your search?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join