It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A human's need to belong/Why are we here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Why are we here? A polite discussion...

Recently, and I'm not entirely sure I understood it, but I tapped into a deeper understanding of the world around me.

Human beings are most strongly motivated by a need to feel a part of something. It is an instinct that has helped us survive for this long. When it goes horribly wrong many different groups compete and war with each other to force their group's agenda onto someone else.

Also with a human being's need to feel a part of something greater than themselves, we tend to associate others different than us into groups, or mental categories so that we can relate to things that are "not us".

This is the basis of bigotry, and racism. When another is not "us" it is "bad." Hence derogatory categories for people other than us, such as. Nerds, Jocks, Band Geeks, Rich, Poor.

From polotics, to national pride, to strar trek fans, to religion, to the husband or wife we marry, our "Why are we here?" Is most closely tied to the need to identify with a group mentality. When an individual tries to identify, they form a group. When a group grows larger, they form a community, when a community grows larger, a city, a state, a country, etc.

"They like this, and I like this, so they are good, they are with us."

Loners, find that they do not fit into any groups that they currently know of. So loners not feeling a part of anything, seek to form a group of their own either through their own actions, or through those who also identify with the loner.

A loner may never find the place that they belong, but there are others around them that will want to be a "loner" too and will follow the loner. For instance, why do women love bad-boys? They want to become a group with the loner, the rebel . Also tough-guys tend to attract those who want to be around them, or be them. It works the same for independent minded females, on some level. " I wish I could be cool like that girl, that loner/rebel she has a great hairstyle."

What has been an attractive strerotype in the movies? The loner, from "Rebel Without a Cause" to Han Solo in "Star Wars" to Vin Diesel in "The Chronicles of Riddick". The Loner/Rebel has been romanticized so that we may identify with them, thus better able to relate, and therefore we wish to group with them on some level.

I can see it so clearly now, that I may never look at life the same way again.

-ADHD

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You wanted to be a part of something special...Didn't you.

90% of the people want to belong....Then you have my Lone Wolf syndrom were you are happy when alone too.

join