It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power: Gore Mansion Uses 20X Average Household Consumption

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
So Gore's spinmeisters have been saying Gore neutralizes his "carbon footprint" by purchasing 'Carbon Credits.'

What are these credits, where do they come from, where does the money used to purchase them go?

I wouldn't give a damn how big Gore's house is and how much energy he uses if it weren't for the fact he's condemning others for using much less energy and producing far less carbon dioxide than he does.

These carbon credits seem to me just like a way for celebrities to pay money to some black hole so they can live however they like without the self-imposed guilt of being a polluter.

The whole thing is laughable and Gore is a fraud.

[edit on 2/27/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
this isn't a story its simply character bashing... its a 20 room house for Christ's sake. How many people live in it? One person, tow, three? For every person you add more energy consumption. I wonder how much energy you consumed digging this up?

Talk about hypocrisy. How about the contrast between bush minor's energy policy heavy on oil, coal, nuclear and natural gas and his ranch in Crawford which is about as green as can be?

This is just bogus.

BTW Matt Drudge is just about as reliable as a source from the Iraqi National Congress if you catch my drift.

[edit on 27-2-2007 by grover]

[edit on 27-2-2007 by grover]

lol, you have to admit 2 things

1) gores people didn't dispute the figures, as they are a matter of public record
2) He looks like an ass, like its already pointed out, that he doesn't have solar power hooked up, or something. There is no other way to slice it, or spin it

maybe he's growing weed in the basement ?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
What are "carbon credits"?

In a simplistic nutshell:

Happyville has a population of 100 people. Every person gets 5 "carbon credits" to use per month. Sum total of 500 "carbon credits" for Happyville.

I'm a miser and a loner; I only use one of my "carbon credits". I have 4 left.

You are an energy hog. You use up your 5 credits by mid-month.

I donate/sell my remaining 4 "carbon credits" to you. So do other misers.

At the end of the month, everything averages out. Happyville has not exceeded it's 500 "carbon credit" allocation.

But nobody has conserved a whit of energy.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Gore's hypocrisy extends beyond his mansion, to the wild blue yonder:

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Don't you people think that environmentalists already took him to task over this issue?

Seriously, stopping global warming has nothing to do with power usage and much more to do with carbon emissions. If you're getting your power from renewable resources, then use all the power you want.

An article dated 6/12/06 says this:

Al Gore has also mentioned in numerous interviews that he has made his life carbon-neutral...

Most of us who want to stop global warming don't care how much energy you use as long as you either use it from renewable resources or offset your carbon footprint, and Al Gore has done exactly that.

Yes, Gore has more capacity to offset his carbon footprint than most people, but that's not a reason to attack him or the message he's pushing. That'd be like attacking a rich person who says eating certain foods is good for your health. Sure, the rich person has greater capacity to buy those healthy foods (which are, strangely enough, more expensive than the non-nutritious foods), but that doesn't mean his message is wrong.

Also, Gore buys green energy and offsets the carbon footprint of the energy he can't get from green resources.

Finally, the following is from an article on CNN:

But a spokesman for Gore quickly fired back Monday night, claiming, "The Gore's purchase all of their power through the local Green Powerswitch program -- it is 100 percent renewable power."

"In addition, they are in the midst of a renovation which includes installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power," Gore's spokeswoman Kalee Kreider said in a statement.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

maybe he's growing weed in the basement ?

thats funny my co-worker said the same thing stating that he wondered if gore was growing pot in the basement he also said that gore had a $2500.00 dollar natural gas bill this co-worker lives in nashville and heard the figure quoted on a local radio show which is buzzing about this issue. I live in tennessee also and am also embarassed that gore represents this state. what a hypocrite.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
What a bunch of conservative-spin nonsense this issue is. And I wish those who are eager to cry "hypocrite" would consider sources and motives before jumping to conclusions.

~snip~ "Gore does in fact take advantage of the green power options his utility offers, and was in the process of adding photovoltaic solar cells to his house when the article came out. He pays for his own personal carbon offsets, in addition to the institutional offsets purchased by Paramount (movie distributor) and Rodale (book publisher), which make both the book and the movie completely carbon neutral."

"...some might consider it more relevant that Gore has devoted his life to this problem, traveling around for years giving thousands of slideshows, co-founding an investment firm devoted to supporting green companies, making his book, movie, and new TV channel carbon neutral, donating all the profits from the movie and book to the global-warming fight, and almost single-handedly raising the profile of the issue higher than it's ever been."

"...if we're talking about hypocrisy, perhaps we should mention that Schweitzer's Hoover Institution -- home to professional climate cranks (and former tobacco cranks) like Fred Singer and Thomas Gale Moore -- is funded by the far-right Scaife Foundation along with, you guessed it, Exxon."

"Those who try and fail to be righteous are better than those who are unapologetically wicked. Those who speak the truth and fail to fully live by it are better than those who speak lies." ~snip~

gristmill.grist.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah
Don't you people think that environmentalists already took him to task over this issue?

Links please. If they have, I know I haven't seen anything about this. And so what if they have and Gore is ignoring them by personally using these obscene amounts of energy. After all, it's enough that Gore just knows better than the rest of us. Guess he feels that just "knowing better" qualifies him for an exemption. Alot of people here seem to want to grant him that same exemption. Why is that now?

Seriously, stopping global warming has nothing to do with power usage and much more to do with carbon emissions. If you're getting your power from renewable resources, then use all the power you want.

Seriously, just where do you think electricity comes from? Well, here's a power primer for you. Unless it comes from one of those big bad nuclear plants, or the trivial amounts produced by wind and geothermal, most electricity is generated by burning coal or natural gas. And those burning processes dump huge amounts of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

See the connection (Gore himself makes) between power generation/usage and global warming yet?

Another black eye for Gore and the people that blindly follow him.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Seems like he could take a few lessons from Bush considering what he did like 6 years ago.

Chicago Tribune

Bush loves ecology --at home

April 29, 2001

By Rob Sullivan. Rob Sullivan is a freelance writer based in Los Angeles

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.

Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

No, this is not the home of some eccentrically wealthy eco-freak trying to shame his fellow citizens into following the pristineness of his self-righteous example. And no, it is not the wilderness retreat of the Sierra Club or the Natural Resources Defense Council, a haven where tree-huggers plot political strategy.

This is President George W. Bush's "Texas White House" outside the small town of Crawford

[EPW Note: The President's House in Crawford was designed to be eco-friendly.]

According to David Heymann, the house's architect and associate dean of the University of Texas architecture department, Heymann designed the house so that "every room has a relationship with something in the landscape that's different from the room next door. Each of the rooms feels like a slightly different place."

In a USA Today interview, Heymann said, "There's a great grove of oak trees to the west that protects it from the late afternoon sun. Then there is a view out to the north looking at hills, and to the east out over a lake, and the view to the south . . . out to beautiful hills."

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
what about the people who blindly follow rush limbraugh centurian?

A 20 room house? bet you they aren't those little 12X14 or less size rooms the average house has....I am surprised it isn't more.

Haven't you bothered to read any of the posts on this subject at all? Or are you just blindly following?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Grover thanks for the tip, my home is about 18 years old, we replaced the inside unit, but we have not updated the entire system outside because is still working good and taking into consideration how much a new system is work . . . we are waiting for the existing one to die first.

Now to heat a two floor home with a high ceilings and a loft.
is very hard even when I have ceiling fans in all my rooms. . .

I am on the budget plan because believe it or not the area where I live average electrical bill is about 250 to 300 dollars per unit sizes, so I pay all year around between 150 to 180 at the highest on a budget.

So is not that I am wasting electricity is just that the prices are high and we are having very good winters so far.

But the price on the electricity keeps getting higher due to the control of the corporation in the area, you only have two major electrical companies and you can not chose is either one or the other one depending in which side of the road you are.

Is nothing but monopolies.

The report on Gore spending should be analyzed to be compare to what the rich and wealthy spend in our nation on electricity living in big expensive states.

Just targeting Gore is just nothing more than propaganda.

[edit on 28-2-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
One would think that Americans had never heard of global warming/climate change before Gore. I don't know who Gore is (except for his run for president and yesterdays Oscar) but we're clued up on global warming/climate change here and have been for years. No thanks at all to Gore.

To Al Gore....people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Get your own carbon footprint to zero before you expect others to.
Especially if your wealthy enough to do it and could have done ages ago before
you jumped on the enviro wagon.

I'm not from the U.S and so aren't involved in the politics of this man but find his lifestyle very hypocritical. So there is no Liberal/Democrat thing going on with me.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
true enough, But i bet al gore turns the lights off in a room once he leaves it and hue hefner just leaves the lights on. Would be interesting to know.
anybody got pictures of al gores house at night and hue hefners mansion at night that would be a simple way to know wouldn't it.

I mean al gore is probably covering the cost of his house with the people he has already inspired to save electricity. however big names and such do nothing but support or life of luxury and need for high tech crap.
Sponsoring races, parties, special events of all kinds that use products made in china and japan which contribute to our global warming on a mass scale.

Angelina jolie would be a prime example though for saving the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magickesists
I mean al gore is probably covering the cost of his house with the people he has already inspired to save electricity.

But can't you see the differance between, "covering himself" and "using LESS?" Not only is he not conserving anything, he's using this whole "carbon credit" non-sense to further his goal of a global tax! And while I'm at it, Not only is Algore not conserving anything at all, his energy use has actually gone UP since he started working on his "the sky is falling" masterpiece.

What a joke...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
What about Bush? He practically the devil, right? What's his place like?

www.grist.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
what about the people who blindly follow rush limbraugh centurian?

But this thread isn't about what Limbaugh, or Bush, or anyone else but Gore is doing, now is it. Cool it
with the attempts to deflect or hijack the thread.

A 20 room house? bet you they aren't those little 12X14 or less size rooms the average house has....I am surprised it isn't more.

Ah, you're still cluelessly missing the point. Gore has a huge house and uses all those resources while advocating that the rest of us shouldn't do the same. What if we all decided follow gore's real lead and purchase 20 room houses, drive gas guzzlers and fly all over the place? We could all claim exemptions due to the fact that we owned a big house, etc.? Would that help solve any of the issues Gore is preaching about?

No, of course not.

Haven't you bothered to read any of the posts on this subject at all? Or are you just blindly following?

Now, that's really the question you need to ponder.

Here's the bottom line on Gore and this subject that no one here has really talked about. You can tell by Gore's personal lifestyle that he really doean't give a ratz a$$ about climate control, or whatever. Now, pay attention here.

This is just a business for Gore (just like Jesse Jackson). A way to keep earning money to live on (to pay those huge utility and food bills) and keep his face (wide angle lense now required) in the news - which he craves.

That's it. That's all there is. It's not complicated to understand. This is just Gore's new career - fear mongering on global warming. And it seems a lot of you are working for him for free.
You might want to renegotiate.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Ah, you're still cluelessly missing the point. Gore has a huge house and uses all those resources while advocating that the rest of us shouldn't do the same. What if we all decided follow gore's real lead and purchase 20 room houses, drive gas guzzlers and fly all over the place? We could all claim exemptions due to the fact that we owned a big house, etc.? Would that help solve any of the issues Gore is preaching about?

And you are still cluelessly missing the point. He is the ex VICE PRESIDENT. He is going to have a huge house. He is going to have a LOT of people around him at all times. I will ask you this again as you keep avoiding it: HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU THINK USED THAT ENERGY AT THE GORE RESIDENCE?? I BET YOU A MILLION DOLLARS THAT IF YOU DIVIDE IT AMONGST THEM ALL, THEY WOULD USE LESS & PAY LESS THAN YOU.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I got it !!!!!!

Gore should live in mobile home !!!!!!

Because he is a self proclaim environmentalist!!!!!

So that will keep all the Self proclaim critics happy!!!!!!!

But we all know that even that will not stop the bashers and trashers of Gore happy.

People you just make me laugh tying to prove a point and give a good Bashing and trashing to Gore because he was recognized at the Oscars night.

What a shame.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
You know, i watched Hannity last night (at gunpoint) and the sillyness and pettiness was just too much for me to handle on an empty stomach.

The very thought that "the real president" won an award for all his good work on Global Warming is enough to now take up airtime on the extreme radical "right"'s TV stations to call him a HYPOCRITE is not only childish, but absurd.

I beleive an explanation has been provided into how Gore has his home set up.

WORSE YET for the rabid right- HE MIGHT RUN FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!

I pray to God he does.

Hannity should spend some quality time at home with his children and wife before they leave the idiot.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

That's it. That's all there is. It's not complicated to understand. This is just Gore's new career - fear mongering on global warming. And it seems a lot of you are working for him for free.
You might want to renegotiate.

It obvously is complicated for you as we have repeatedly shot down your theories on Gores useage yet you continue to ignore it AND you keep typing the same BS. By the way, none of us are "working" for Gore. Most of us were well aware of global warming far before he every said anything about it. I am sorry you are just now starting to educate yourself on it. You might want to go back and reeducate yourself on such things. As I have said and will continue to say, you lost. Your argument is going down the drain as more and more people are waking up to the reality of global warming. Attacking the lifestyle of an EX PRESIDENT only makes you appear that more ignorant. The only people you are reaching with your message are the ones that have chosen to keep their minds closed. Congratulations. I bet you are proud.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join