It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 1,000 Military Personnel Sign Petition Urging Withdrawal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
So it may be time to come home for some of our troop's, but what happen's if we end up on the side of the attacks that UK faces after thier announcement of withdrawl?

"Just because we volunteered for the military doesn't mean we volunteered to put our lives in unnecessary harm and to carry out missions that are illogical and immoral."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marine Sgt. Liam Madden

Source:

www.cbsnews.com...

I don't like this war at all, but now we are in it , "Is it for the long haul?" Seem's to be a lot of psychiatric prob's too, with both the families of the deployed and the soldier's themselves.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
when you volunteer for the military you do have the right to an opinion but you don't get a vote as to where you would serve. i would advise anyone who thinks about a military career to understand , they own you, you go if they say, you stay if they say, and you die if they say. the they I'm talking about is the civilian government and the politicians they elect, we don't live in a military dictatorship so it's the politicians that decide what to use the military for and when and for how long. write you representative vote for someone who'll in turn vote your way, but don't think the military decides what it's going to do. blaming soldiers as many do ( I'm not saying you do) is stupid and immoral.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
While I agree in principle with what they are doing, they have just made themselves the next victims of the surge. This is how the Military handles this kind of a situation - you complain, you're next on the list to go.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
actually the best way to deal with unruly troops is to put them in some god forsaken place where nothing ever happens and you are so isolated they have to ship in daylight, there are many places like this in the military out back out post that are called hardship stations and usually induce people to not reenlist or to be more careful about what you say or do.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

You have voted wcssar for the Way Above Top Secret award.

Thanks for the voice of sanity, 'wcssar'.

Yes, the decisions are (or should be) in the hands of the people.

It begins with your local candidate. The foundation is All.

Select carefully and refuse to lie down to ballot-corruption.

Lift your voices and be heard. Keep on being heard. Refuse to be silenced.

What else is really important in your life?

What will you leave behind when you go? And you will be going. It could be tomorrow, it could be in fifty years time.

But when you go, as you will, what will you have stood for?

How will your worth be measured:

* in your CD/DVD collection
* your car
* the contents of your make-up drawer
* a few albums of your old photos that no-one really values or wants
* a wardrobe of your old clothes that will be handed to the charity shop
* a few shelves of your books, worth a couple of dollars at a garage sale
* your old twisted pairs of shoes
* contents of your food cupboard which will be tossed out

While people are putting vile government/big-business shennanigans in the too-hard basket, those ghouls are laughing and getting away with more.

What they destroy and the misery they cause, is our legacy, as well as theirs.

They can only do what we allow them to do.

If you're too busy, then why would the man next door not also claim to be too busy to fight this insanity?

" Someone else should fix it " ?

YOU are 'someone else'.

Why go to the gym or spend a fortune on health foods?
Why obsess about a body that going to end up as worm food?

Why not at least TRY to leave something worth having, for future generations?

After all, what about you or your life is SO important that it justifies your saying 'Stuff You ! ' to your own grandchildren or to someone else's great-grandchildren.

We're here a short time. Surely it should count for something more than the amount we can consume and the mountain of excreta that results ?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcssar
actually the best way to deal with unruly troops is to put them in some god forsaken place where nothing ever happens and you are so isolated they have to ship in daylight, there are many places like this in the military out back out post that are called hardship stations and usually induce people to not reenlist or to be more careful about what you say or do.

Well, I suppose you could see this situation with those kinds of eye's for the mercy of thinking they are all just "Wining", but I believe there is a much more poinient factor to be thought of."THis war was based on lie's deciet and 'Major' miscalculations from the power's that may be."
I for one do understand why it would feel "redundant and unrewarding" to have to be put in a place where you thought you were there for the better good and having all credability come crashing down on your reason for wanting to help people that were being tortured and acts of genecide.

People read and think of those thing's they read and sometimes misinterprut them, I personally believe that the soldier's have a "Right" to be able to leave if they are there for no reason at all.

Dock6,
Your applause was for your agreement of the statement from wcssar, and condoned it for the meaning, maybe you should reread the article and instead of backing a poster,(Which you have a "Right" too) and see if you don't read other possibilities of the soldier's request to be out of the war in Iraq? Mainly because "We should'nt be there at all, nor should've we allowed our Government and politic's think it is bigger than a society that doesn't think like our's."

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
but what happen's if we end up on the side of the attacks that UK faces after thier announcement of withdrawl?

As far as I know us Brits are happy that we're withdrawing troops. What "attacks that UK faces" are you talking of?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its extremely dangerous for hte military to start getting involved in politics like this.

Would anyone change policy if there was a counter petition that was signed by more members of the military?

Should we allways leave it up to the veterans and active personnel to decide when to go to war?? Do you think we'd have more, or less, wars because of that? Most of the people in the military are very gun-ho about being in the military and are excited to go fight, I suspect we'd have a heckuva lot more wars if it was up to a poll of military service personnel. We'd probably be in Tehran and Islamabad and Syria, hell, Mecca, by now

Originally posted by deessell
While I agree in principle with what they are doing, they have just made themselves the next victims of the surge. This is how the Military handles this kind of a situation - you complain, you're next on the list to go.

ANd how is that going to work? Every unit that these 1,000 guys are in is going to be sent to iraq?

Won't the fact that these guys AREN'T the next to go to iraq or afghanistan refute your statement that this is how the military handles these things?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted by Nygdan

Its extremely dangerous for the military to start getting involved in politics like this . . Most of the people in the military are very gung-ho about being in the military and are excited to go fight . . if it was up to military service personnel . . We'd probably be in Tehran and Islamabad and Syria, hell, Mecca, by now . . “ [Edited by Don W]

I oppose the all volunteer armed forces. It has not happened yet, but one day, the men and women will be called on to obey the piece of paper we call the Constitution, locked away in bomb-proof vault in W-DC, or to obey the guy who signs their paycheck and who holds their careers - their future - in his hands? We shifted away from the conscript army in the early 1970s after we proved incapable of operating a fair selective service system in the Vietnam War.

Even more so than us civilians, the military are subject to propaganda 24/7. Enticed and pampered into the inner sanctum, given so-called secret information, they will not be able to judge who is the real enemy of America. It is their obligation, nay they took an oath, to obey all lawful orders, but who is to say what is LAWFUL? Young people are blissfully naive, you don’t become cynical until you have been screwed two or three times by people you trusted. Then you begin to take a more skeptical look at what you’re being told.

Don't forget that following the President's orders, the US Army under Chief of Staff Gen. MacArthur and his aide Major Eisenhower, harshly removed the WW1 veterans who had come to Washington seeking the bonus they had been promised in 1918, but that Congress had stalled on paying, endlessly. MacArthur ordered the use of tear gas on the same men who had been in the trenches of France and he ordered the tear down and burning of their ramshackle encampment. Homeless vets. Hmm? Building 18, Walter Reed.

It is relatively easy for the military leaders to control the troops; ring leaders - dissenters - can be sorted out, transferred or nowadays, labeled “enemy combatants” and hauled off in the middle of the night, to a secret prison and kept there indefinitely. Thank you Bush43. You sure do love America. You and Alberto Gonzales have brought us the American version of the Gestapo! Zeig Heil!

[edit on 3/1/2007 by donwhite]

top topics

join