It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN raises alarm on mercenary recruitment by western firms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

UN raises alarm on mercenary recruitment by western firms

Source Link: www.abs-cbnnews.com

GENEVA (AFP) - Methods used by private western security companies to recruit mercenaries in poor countries and send them into dangerous areas like Iraq are deeply worrying, according to a UN report to be presented next month.

Private security guards employed by western companies make up the second highest number of armed forces currently posted in Iraq, after the US military but ahead of the British troops, according to Jose Luis Gomez del Prado, the head of a United Nations workgroup on the use of mercenaries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Ok, I've never gotten to use this term before, but I think ti applies..

U.N. pussies..

Seriously, what's the problem with mercenaries, I mean if they are willing
to do the job, and there is someone willing to hire them.

Personally I think mercenaries are a good idea in war, because they are
alot les likely to hold nationalisitc patriot views like many in the military
may hold, and thusly they are less likely to kill anyone except those they
are payed to.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
You're asking "what's wrong with mercenaries"? How about the fact that they're murderers?

If the danger there is so bad that they have to hire mercenaries to do security work, then it's truly a sad day.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
These mercs are heavily armed.They are employed by private as well as gverment orgs,
There is no real "command and control "in ther case, and they are far more likely to be unrestrained in the use of deadly force than the more disciplined military.
There is poor oversight of mercinariies.In some cases this can bring about sitations where collateral damage is the least of their worries.
The potenrial for abuse and mayhem of the Iraqis is far too great and realized far too often.
Stories of just such action on their part are being reported but remedial or legal reactions are not big news items..
The presence of mercinary troops in Iraq is detrimental to US Aims and goals in stabilizing the country.
It is a sneaky way to keep troop strength at a minimum but still maintain sufficient forces to fill the gaps...
These troops get paid much more money than our troops and are a source of irriytation to morale of our boys.
They are virtually loose cannons in a fluid dangerous situation.
Morally the use of mercinaries is reprehensible.
they are little better than hired hit men..

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I strongly sugggest you cgeck out the following documentary:

Shadow Company

With over $100 Billion in annual revenues and 70000 employees in Iraq alone, the private military industry is booming, yet few civilians know anything about it. Shadow Company, a groundbreaking feature-length documentary, takes you deep inside this secret world that is changing the face of modern warfare. What are we really risking by allowing profit-motivated corporations into the business of war?

top topics

join