It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concealled Carry Permit -- Can anyone get one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have no use for it, but I have just been wondering for a while.

Do you essentially have to be a police officer, or else have a VERY good reason (like being a celebrity perhaps) to get a permit to carry concealled weapons? Or can anyone with a clear record get one?

Is it even legal to have a holstered weapon on you in public in city limits, even if you have a liscence? I've never seen anyone except police with holstered weapons, so I assume it's illegal.

I live in Canada so I'd like to know about that, but also the US laws.

If anybody has a gun law FAQ type of site that can answer these questions, I wouldn't mind seeing, or just let me know yourself.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
There are so many differnet laws on this that you would have to research the specific area to find out the local regulations. Here in the U.S. some states issue permits, some don't. Some allow open carry, some don't. The only persons to have "universal' carry privlidges within the U.S. are generally Federal Agents. As far as Canada, you should contact the local Magistrate or R.C.M.P. station for the current laws in your area.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The restrictions really are at the state level and there are many states that share reciprocity eg. A licensed person carrying a gun in Texas can also carry one in Nebraska and so on…but one has to follow local laws. Here are examples of this type of Licensing Agreements with other states....but there are some states where C&C is not legal.

To answer your question briefly, there is a background check, I think it goes back 10 years for general offenses and longer for other offenses, I can’t remember now; however felons are not allowed to carry ever and being convicted of a felony will cause one to loose there license indefinitely etc…but if you have a clean record and pass the tests anyone can carry over the age 18.

This link:Texas Statutes pdf. will answer alot of your general questions.

mg

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have one in Georgia. They took fingerprints and did a background check. I did not have to give a reason why I wanted it. About 6 weeks later they mailed it to me. I can carry concealed except in public gatherings. ie sporting events, concerts, etc. The permit is also recognized by some other states as well. It also allows me to buy guns without a waiting period.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
the reason you aren't seeing people with holstered weapons is because they probably don't want anyone knowing they're carrying. if I was carrying a gun, or a knife around, I wouldn't want it to be seen. most people who open carry get hastled for being a 'hardass with a gun' and stuff

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Theres no open carry in CT.

To get my permit I had to pay a fee to the city, the PSA and the state.
I had to present 3 letters saying I wasnt crazy.
Get fingerptinted.
Pass the NRA pistol safety course.
Backgroud check.

It was supposed to take 8 weeks.

After 6 months I called them and they were like "oh, weve been trying to get a hold of you."

Yeah right. They were hoping Id forget or just give up.

After I called them I got my permit in 2 days.

I cant carry into any federal or state building. I cant carry onto school properties. I cant leave my gun in the car. It must be on my person at all times. If anyone sees it or the outline if it (printing) I could be charged with breach of peace and have my permit revoked for life.

Im moving to New Hampshire for the lesser taxation and the open carry.
Also, CT wont let me own certain rifles. Another reason to leave.

On paper you'd swear CT didnt want anyone living here. We're all taxed into poverty and the cost of homes is obscene.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
im only 16 but the ppl i work for have license to carry im not sure if they do or not but there are 4 bosses and only 3 carry concealed weapons but u should ask a cop or some high government official about it.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My grandfather used to carry a Colt .32 on his ankle when he was a police officer,and still does to this day. I am not sure if it is legal though.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In Virginia, you may openly carry a handgun in public, while not common, it is becoming more and more regular. As far as CCW goes, in Virginia, you have to fill out an application with the Virginia State Police and prove compentancy with a fire by taking a class such as NRA First Steps or a hunter saftey course, then it goes to you local Circuit Court. From there the court has 90 day to approve you application. If the court does not give you an answer in 90 days, your application acts as a valid permit until the court answers. Virginia is a "shall issue" state, which means that if the court cannot find a valid reason not to give you one, they have to give it. This is in contrast to a "may issue" state, where the local law enforcement decides who gets one, and they can say no without any valid reason. It is not difficult at all to obtain one in Virginia, just may be a little hard to find a class. Virginia does not require any licensing or registration to own or carry a gun.

-muzz

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I got mine today, 9-11.

I was going to wait until my wife's came through, but this morning when I woke up, I just felt like getting it today, as a kind of commemoration.

The line was between 5-20 guys the whole time I was there (appx. 20 minutes), lot's of new carry permits being issued.

The instructor at the pistol class (about a month ago) made the comment that Obama had "sold more permits than anything else, ever" or something to that effect. Guns and ammunition as well. Seems to be a theme there, I'm glad to see the American people being motivated in this fashion.

More than just a right, I feel that it is our DUTY to protect ourselves, our family, our community and our freedom against those that would do any of them grave harm.

No, I haven't flipped out, and I'm no right wing extremist. I'm just a husband and dad that wishes to be prepared. (plus I really want a Glock, and need the permit to buy handguns in my state)

Anybody else motivated by somewhat recent events to obtain their carry permit?

[edit on 11-9-2009 by tjack]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's worth noting that the national reciprocity bill recently failed in congress by just 2 votes.

That would have turned the entire state legislature upside down - a great thing - because it would have forced non-carry states to recognize the permits of out of state holders.

Next time, it will succeed, and you will see states like Maryland having to recognize my Arizona permit, even though it doesn't allow its own people to carry (except for a privileged few).

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Good, I would prefer if every decent person in the USA had one.

Look at Switzerland.

"Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept."

Source if you care.

My state has no conceal and carry law so there is no real reason to get a permit. Plus assault rifles are legal (name one, betcha I can legally purchase it) and almost every household in this state has a firearm in their home. Violent crime doesn't exist here. Not gun related anyway! (we still have fist fights
)

I would recommend that every person gets one. I doubt people will commit gun crimes if their one gun is outnumbered by several. Remember people don't fear people but they do fear bullets!

[edit on 16-9-2009 by DaMod]

[edit on 16-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
In terms of US carry information the best site out there is USA Carry which replaced packing.org when it disappeared from the internet a while back. They break down the information by state with examples of the licenses, and lists of regulations that go with them. Another very useful part of the site is the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) Encounter forums, where people can describe their run-ins with officers from certain areas and give others a feel for how gun owners are regarded by localities before traveling there with their weapons.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Im in Colorado and you can have a CWP.

Here are state laws:
www.carryconcealed.net...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Great responses, Florida is similar to TX and some of the others. You pay your fees, get fingerprinted, pass a safety course, shoot one round into a trashcan, and a few weeks later you can carry concealed! Florida does not have "open" carry. Most states have either/or, but not both.

I cannot carry in a bar or state park or government building. I am unsure about the school thing, they were in the process of changing that law after Virginia Tech's shootings. It used to be illegal to carry on school grounds, but they were trying to over turn that, and I think they did!

You also have to check reciprocity for your license. I know mine is good in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Missouri. But if you are travelling, you should check every state you will be going through!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In calif its up to the county sheriff, orange county, San Francisco and LA county. its almost imposable to get a CCW unless you know someone or give money for the county sheriffs reelection campaign.

In a few rural counties its fairly easy like Sierra County.
But in these rural counties its very unlikely that you would ever need a CCW.
Plus you can open carry in most areas of these rural counties without any need for a permit.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Makes me want to move to Wyoming.

Well, I always have wanted to but thats just another reason.

top topics

join