It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Payment for Services Rendered

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
No one on the current Indiana team committed the infraction, no one on the current Purdue team was directly impacted by the infraction. Should the ref call that?

Thank you for tackling it. You're the single brave soul.

The way you re-framed the analogy leads me to believe you thought my original analogy was in reference to whether reparations should be necessary at all.

It was actually an attempt to explain why reparations, if paid, should go to the descendants. That's where the shot-clock came in. Jim Crow was the headlock, ie, restraint from filing the complaint back when it was current.

I would like your opinion, now that I've given you some context.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Many people died to stop it.

This is where you and I disagree.

The Civil War was only tangentially about slaves.

But you put it forth as your opinion. There was no source.

No I did not. I specifically said, "sociologists say." If you would like a source, I could look for one. (Although, I must say, I find it amusing... you asking for a source.)

Is it what you believe? If so...

See, these conversations are touchy, BH, and you know that. If you have a question about my personal beliefs, just ask it. All the other stuff (the "if so" sentence) was unnecessary.

I'm not sure what I believe, on that subject. I'm still figuring things out.

I get impatient with what I "perceive" as your like remarks.

I was not "snotty" toward you until this page. You questioned my motives, talked about me like I wasn't here, and I was insulted. However, I restrained myself from responding directly, since the entire exchange was off-topic anyway.

And when you respond like this, I just want to say, "Never mind" and that's what I'm saying on this one.

I was being "snotty," there. See above. I felt that you had earned it.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
It was actually an attempt to explain why reparations, if paid, should go to the descendants.

Well yes, that is slightly different isn't it?
My fault.

I'm not sure how anyone would disagree with that. IF reparations for slavery are paid, it should go to the descendants. Can't very well make restitution to the slaves at this point, can we?

But that's assuming reparations for slavery are to be paid.

[Edit for typo]

[edit on 2/26/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
(Although, I must say, I find it amusing... you asking for a source.)

I ask for sources when what you say is the opinion of someone else. In this case, "sociologists". When a person gives their own opinion, sources aren't needed. I'm glad you're amused, though.

If you have a question about my personal beliefs, just ask it. All the other stuff (the "if so" sentence) was unnecessary.

You are entirely misreading my 'attitude' or whatever. That's how I talk 'on paper'. I asked if you believed it and then said "If so, ... " meaning "if that is what you believe... " Nothing more. You're reading stuff that isn't there.

And even if something is unnecessary, I still might do it.

You questioned my motives, talked about me like I wasn't here, and I was insulted.

What? I have no idea what you're talking about. I did NOT mean to question your motives OR talk about you! Jesus! I swear I don't know where you're getting this. Please remember that we're talking on the internet and when you "read" or perceive things like that, you could be wrong. I'm really trying to talk with you about this.

I felt that you had earned it.

I didn't. You misunderstood or misinterpreted me. We can talk about this. I'm convinced we can. I have thousand-word U2Us to prove it!
Let's stop looking for attitude. Can we? Please? I love you!
You know that.

Let's start fresh, whaddya say? I'll be more careful. And I will ask instead of assuming when I think you're being "snotty", OK? Deal?

Next post will be on topic!
But your relationship is too important to me to just let this lie.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I STILL want that 40 acres and a mule.

They didn't give it to my ancestor (on the slave side), so I am naturally entitled to the land and animal. Now pay up, US govt! I have big plans for that mule...

Yeah, right. Don't hold your breath, Hottie. If we can't get an APOLOGY, which is free last time I checked, I DON'T think we'll get paid any non-free money...:shk:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just wanted to say in place of the US Government

OOpps my bad

Would you take the 40acres and a mule in Alaska. The weathers nice.

Personally I want my Payment for Services Rendered from the Pharaoh,

Plus the Romans owe me some major $$ for our work and feeding my people to lions for sport.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
No, Royal....

I would MUCH rather have an official apology from the US govt to all black Americans with slave heritage than money. That was that sarcasm you find hard to read about the mule and land.

Funny thing is...I think the govt would rather PAY than APOLOGIZE...

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That's why big corp's usually settle rather than going to court. It easier to pay some $$$.

But the US will never dish out the $$, that would be admitting they were wrong. To do so would open the gates to every wrong they ever did and the dollar would be replaced by the peso

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join